weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

Hi DK
really like that, well composed and well spotted, its all been said above
Nice start (y)

Odd - I really like #1. The processing on this works well as does the crop that you've given it
Linear/Line - Another great one. The low viewpoint really helps lead the eye through the picture

The wave lines of the bench and the edge of the promenade are wonderful leading the eye straight to the beach and pier (y)

Nice image Dk, really like the concentrated dof on the seat. Don't forget to change the title, it still says odd...
Cheers Michael :) Oooo and CHEERS Michael :D

Yep really like that too, pov and dof work really well
Thanks Liz :)

Love the wavy lines leading you into the picture and I think you've achieved your objective of a bright, colourful picture!
Thanks Paul :)

I'm glad people don't think it is too over processed :)

Great image DK (y)

I always feel like I'm 'trying to teach grandma to suck eggs', commenting on the images of the experienced, but I would have liked to have seen the rest of the benches leading away down the prom :)

I'm far from experienced Phil, and always welcome suggestions and try to take on crit :)

I did try that, but the benches are only about 12" from a concrete monstrosity... I really had to squeeze myself in to get the lines leading across/into the image, and was an ar8e to try and keep the wall out :D

Here is a VERY unprocessed image :whistle:

Unprocessed and TOO tight :D
by TP DK, on Flickr

Shame about the dull skies in the photos for 'Odd', but I really like your use of shallow DOF and colour for week 1!.. I think it could perhaps be even stronger in B&W though?
Hmmmmm now there's a thought :thinking:... Thanks Ollie (y)

Last edited:
That works well for me mate. Nice one!
Thanks David :)

Hi DK
really like that, well composed and well spotted, its all been said above
Nice start (y)
Cheers Allan - Appreciated :)

Agree with everyone else, damn good shot (y)
Thanks Mark :)

Odd - I really like #1. The processing on this works well as does the crop that you've given it
Linear/Line - Another great one. The low viewpoint really helps lead the eye through the picture
Thanks on both counts Peter (y)

The wave lines of the bench and the edge of the promenade are wonderful leading the eye straight to the beach and pier (y)
Cheers Richard :)

Love the subject and the background. Even the colours look to be well suited to the subject.
I'd like to have seen a greater DOF if possible so more of the bench is in focus, the blurred foreground catches my eye a bit too much.
A well themed and executed shot though :clap:

Love the subject and the background. Even the colours look to be well suited to the subject.
I'd like to have seen a greater DOF if possible so more of the bench is in focus, the blurred foreground catches my eye a bit too much.
A well themed and executed shot though :clap:
Thanks Mike, I see what you mean :)

I did try that, but the benches are only about 12" from a concrete monstrosity... I really had to squeeze myself in to get the lines leading across/into the image, and was an ar8e to try and keep the wall out :D

by TP DK, on Flickr

Now I wasn't expecting to see that! :confused:

I got the impression there was as much prom behind the benches as in front.:thinking:

Seeing what you had to work with makes the image you got even better (y)

I really like your 'Line/Linear' image, DK. It's probably all been said already, but I like your use of DOF and the contrast between the wavy lines of the seat and the straight lines elsewhere in the image. Good work on making a dull day look something else, and having seen the situation of the benches in your later shot I think you definitely chose the right POV and composition. A great start to the year!

Now I wasn't expecting to see that! :confused:

I got the impression there was as much prom behind the benches as in front.:thinking:

Seeing what you had to work with makes the image you got even better (y)
Thanks Phil - It was a squeeze :D

A good unusual idea. I love the strong wavy lines, suits the seaside theme very well.
Thanks... my thoughts exactly, had to be in for the theme :)

Woooo get you! - strong start the Deano!

happy new 52 :cow:
Hahahaaaaaa you just know it won't last - mmmmmMMOOOOOOOOOO :D

I really like your 'Line/Linear' image, DK. It's probably all been said already, but I like your use of DOF and the contrast between the wavy lines of the seat and the straight lines elsewhere in the image. Good work on making a dull day look something else, and having seen the situation of the benches in your later shot I think you definitely chose the right POV and composition. A great start to the year!
Many thanks Andrea... appreciated :)

Looks good, i think i would prefer the closest part of the bench in focus with it fading out.

Very much liking line. wonder if the grad filter could be more gradual and come a little further down to the sand level...or even crop out the sky and buildings altogether?
Cheers Chris :)

I did one without the building and it looked a bit naf... i'll check and see if I kept it :)

I really like this, nice image.
Thanks John :)

Odd #1 works for me I like the moodiness perhaps the sky could be a little darker but good one
Linear Love it another well seen picture!
Thanks too Judi :)

Must try the sky darkening a bit more one day... well maybe even tonight :)

Looks good, i think i would prefer the closest part of the bench in focus with it fading out.
Hi Rob... I did loads of different angles and focul points EXCEPT that combination :D

Cheers for looking in and commenting :)

Wow they are some stunning photos, very well done!

I prefer the first one you added for 'Odd', I like the tones and overall feel of the image. Only thing I would say is that I would probably try to desaturate the green and magenta fringing from the lens aberrations.

Second one for 'Line' is a very good idea, again only thing I'd of maybe tried is the focus point being a bit closer in as the focus point seems to draw away from the front of the bench.

Nonetheless great images and a very good start!

Nice one DK. It gives the impression of a nice day even if you say the weather wasnt too good. :clap:

Wow they are some stunning photos, very well done!

I prefer the first one you added for 'Odd', I like the tones and overall feel of the image. Only thing I would say is that I would probably try to desaturate the green and magenta fringing from the lens aberrations.
Cheers Simon :)

If I knew how I would have a go :D :thinking: :sulk:

Second one for 'Line' is a very good idea, again only thing I'd of maybe tried is the focus point being a bit closer in as the focus point seems to draw away from the front of the bench.

Nonetheless great images and a very good start!
Thanks again Simon, a good point :)

Nice one DK. It gives the impression of a nice day even if you say the weather wasnt too good. :clap:
Thanks Anita :) ... nice day and Great Yarmouth don't come up in the same sentence very often :LOL:

Super lines, starting 2014 where you left of 2013 quality wise.

How on earth did you fit in behind that corner of the bench??? Great job of the POV!

HI Dean

I likey likey you line shot lots...lovely warm tones in the sand , great POV ( especially given how much room you didn't have!) & enough detail in the background to give context :clap: being mega picky I think I might have prefered the front of the bench to be in focus rather than than the middle but hey ho...:exit:

Super lines, starting 2014 where you left of 2013 quality wise.

How on earth did you fit in behind that corner of the bench??? Great job of the POV!
Hahaaaa cheers Graham... Shoulder against the edge and leaning as low as I could... the things we do hey :D

I really like the lines one you have done. I prefer the off centre angled look to a straight line.
Thanks Neil :)

Hi DK

Line - good spot. I like the comp and the colours The b/g buildings set context. Bit oof at the front is something that you may have considered but then poss problem with the b/g not being enough oof. Good start (y)
Cheers Allan :)

You have a very good point, that and the light was very poor, I also didn't want too high a shutter speed, and with only my monopod with me I was quite limited (Read... want's more kit :D)

HI Dean

I likey likey you line shot lots...lovely warm tones in the sand , great POV ( especially given how much room you didn't have!) & enough detail in the background to give context :clap: being mega picky I think I might have prefered the front of the bench to be in focus rather than than the middle but hey ho...:exit:
Oi You :bat:

Naaaah very good reasoning, many have said it and I agree.... bugger :D

Hi Dark Knight - 'Lines' - Now that I really like!
It's brill.
I only wish the foreground could have been a bit sharper.
Me too Mike... me too :D

Thanks for popping in and commenting guys :)

Great start to your 52 Dean (y)

I have no crit to add, I think it is perfect as you've presented it. (y)

Hey DK, here we go again :clap: Mind you, on your opening post you've linked to last years shots, cheat! :naughty:

Odd, I like the first one, very odd indeed. I see what you mean about the second one, I have found if you have a blue sky behind sometimes a spot of fill flash really helps. But I hear blue sky is a bit hard to find over there right now!?!?!?

Line, having seen the wider shot I think you've done really well to keep your shot clean (y)

by TP DK, on Flickr

Hmmmmm now there's a thought :thinking:... Thanks Ollie (y)

Yuk! Stick with the original! That concrete wall is hurting my eyes.

Great start to your 52 Dean (y)

I have no crit to add, I think it is perfect as you've presented it. (y)
Damn... Thanks Iain :)
Hey DK, here we go again :clap: Mind you, on your opening post you've linked to last years shots, cheat! :naughty:
Really :D

I best go check ... <EDIT>Odd... seems fine to me, which link?? :thinking:

Odd, I like the first one, very odd indeed. I see what you mean about the second one, I have found if you have a blue sky behind sometimes a spot of fill flash really helps. But I hear blue sky is a bit hard to find over there right now!?!?!?
Blue Sky PMSL :D

I miss having a pop up flash actually, they are not great but I did at times use it on my 7d for fill :)

Line, having seen the wider shot I think you've done really well to keep your shot clean (y)
Thanks again Marsha :)

Yuk! Stick with the original! That concrete wall is hurting my eyes.
Hahaaa Thanks Neil... I agree, what a monstrosity... knock it down I say !!!!

Both Odd shots are very good but with the majority on No1. The Line shot is excellent can't really add much more :clap:
Cheers Neil :)

Well - Week 2 announced and not had time to take further 'Play' shots so going to use a couple of the ones taken earlier in the week....

POST and BE DAMNED... will be re-done in the first 'Re-Shoot' week :)

My nephew's 2nd birthday, was sooooo playful until I ran to the car to get my camera :bat:

Nothing taken was fully in focus, seemed to be a blur on most of them, was shot in the evening with flash bounced off walls, ceilings and what ever I tried he didn't wanna play ball, and laying on the floor seemed to totally mess up my framing too :bang:

No Crit required, If you can be ar$ed just say which is the least worse out of the two :D

Wk 2 - 'Play'
by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 2 - 'Play' 2
by TP DK, on Flickr

I'm surprised their haven't been more photos with kids this week, I purposely stayed away from taking photos of my two because I thought everyone else would do the same.

First one is better as your Nephew looks more engaged with the toy and looks to be playing, although a little over saturated.... I know, I know - no crit :p

Back