weekly Donna's 52 weekly challenge

Like the idea, bold colours, bold actions and generally a very good interpretation of the theme.

A small comment might be that I would have cropped a fair bit off the left hand side (so the word Zoo fits to the left hand edge) because the graffiti drops off beyond that and because that would have pushed your graffiti artist off centre which might balance the composition a bit better.

... But a lovely image none the less. Nice work.

bold is a good idea but I might have tried a different angle to get more focus (perception not camera focus lol) on the very naughty boy :)

Hi Donna

good take on Bold ,agree with comments on the model ,I'd be tempted to crop from the lhs to take him off centre though :)

Like the idea, bold colours, bold actions and generally a very good interpretation of the theme.

A small comment might be that I would have cropped a fair bit off the left hand side (so the word Zoo fits to the left hand edge) because the graffiti drops off beyond that and because that would have pushed your graffiti artist off centre which might balance the composition a bit better.

... But a lovely image none the less. Nice work.
Thanks, I will try this more - I wasn't too happy with the model central, but thought the lines looked better leading off, but will try cropping more

bold is a good idea but I might have tried a different angle to get more focus (perception not camera focus lol) on the very naughty boy :)
thanks for your comments
Hi Donna
good take on Bold ,agree with comments on the model ,I'd be tempted to crop from the lhs to take him off centre though :)
Thanks, will try this

Relax - I understand this is what 'the young people' do for relaxation these days Donna :p

I'd lose the white sock though as it draws the eye away and makes the background look more cluttered

I also play video games, is it relaxing? No, it bloody isn't. I get sore hands, a bad back and strained vision; I still do it though and afterwards...I relax with a beer (or two).

Hi, good idea for the theme is gaming relaxing though not in my eyes, it's a bit busy BG wise as has been mentioned

Bold - good take for the theme, one bold artist indeed and bold colours.

Relax - good interiptation of the theme I like it, as others have said the bg is a bit busy. The image works for me, and it's a good way to relax. I may be biased in saying that as I own a xbox one as well :).

Relax - I understand this is what 'the young people' do for relaxation these days Donna :p

I'd lose the white sock though as it draws the eye away and makes the background look more cluttered

Never into video gaming so not sure its relaxing or not. Photographic wise I feel it's too much going on in the background.

Hi, good idea for the theme is gaming relaxing though not in my eyes, it's a bit busy BG wise as has been mentioned

Bold - good take for the theme, one bold artist indeed and bold colours.

Relax - good interiptation of the theme I like it, as others have said the bg is a bit busy. The image works for me, and it's a good way to relax. I may be biased in saying that as I own a xbox one as well :).

Really helpful feedback, thanks. I just knew what I wanted, and was determined to take it regardless, next time a little more thought and time will help.

Hi Donna,

Bold is great, it can be portrayed in a couple of different ways which I like.

Relax - I think I want to see this with a looser crop, I'd dont associate relax with it too greatly but maybe if you could see some more of the feet up and the game being played it may work :)

Light painting is a difficult skill to perfect. For me, it's the added touch of the smoke that works here. It adds a degree of interest to the shot. Nice rich black background too.

Thanks for the feedback. I started off liking the vertical picture, then my own critique set in and put much doubt in it. I want to actually try again, and take on board the 'more light' on top. Of course, the added 'red' straw was on purpose, nothing to do with lots of them behind and it was just the way they fell.;)

But I'm loving the challenges, and sadly look forward to Fridays to see what the next theme is. It has given me the oomph back to try new ideas, and see everyone else's interpretation - fantastic!:woot:

Hi Donna - I love your vertical shot, I also thought it was smoke until I read your info :) have to agree with posiview andy (again) about more light near the top

Vertical - very nice. Particularly like the smoke a nice touch although would have liked a bit more space above. Would also like to see it with more light further up the straws. Nice colouring in the straw the red one draws the eye nicely

Vertical: I like this shot. The light painting and bright red straw work well. I like the "smoke" too - it adds an extra dimension to the shot.

Hi Donna ...a very eye catching image for Vertical....I'm assuming the 'smoke' is the light painting part ...what do you do that with?
oops, catching up now. The light painting was with a small led hand torch with a highly technical colouring attached - a loo roll with green transparency over it, so the small round torch fits in. Is really handy as my other loo rolls have different colour transparencies :D

Mouth: Please refer to all my other comments when there are dogs in the picture before I add that I like it, mostly because there is a dog in it...and a dribbly one too (just like mine).

Crowd: I like the idea, I like the picture but I don't like the big white space that is the sky; perhaps PP it to darken and/or bring some detail into it?

Mouth dog pic nice its been a week for dog mouths but its up there with the best of them

Crowd is a great idea and much better with the conversion (y)

I like the crowds shot. Looks like they're all queuing for the loo! Took me a minute to spot the clones and that did make me smile. The things you can get away with on Mothers Day eh? Brilliant idea, well executed. Great composition with the phonebox on that left third and the leading line of the wall off to the edge of the frame

I think the Photomatix edit is a bit OTT. For me (I stress, for me!) I find that halo-ing to be a bit too much. I like the retained detail in the sky and the textures on the rocks and clothes, but that fringing halo round the phone box and along the top of the wall looks unnatural. Not sure if you have the ability to layer, but dropping the opacity of the Photomatix edit by about 50% would probably do the trick.

Mouth....Excellent Pooch shot :)

Crowd.....Brilliant idea. I like the Photomatix edit apart from the (rather severe) halo issues it causes.

Crowd, very clever, I guess that not many people actually remember the effort of having to queue for a phone box, I agree with Martin about the sky, and thats a nice edit.

Hi,

Mouth - good idea and nicely shot - great focus

Crowd - another good idea. The sky in #2 looks much better, it is a shame about the haloing though :)

Back