weekly Karl's 53: Close-up; Heat; Relax, added

Strangely I'm sucking on something similar right now ;)
Thats a good subject to start the thread off with (y)

Thanks Mr Magoo,

mch appreciated - I think it works now, though still not entirely sure where I went wrong in the first place! ...Was starting to lose the will.
Many thanks,

Karl

Thanks Mr Magoo,

mch appreciated - I think it works now, though still not entirely sure where I went wrong in the first place! ...Was starting to lose the will.
Many thanks,

Karl
No worries hope that everything works for you now (y)

Another e-smoker here. Although I did go 0mg nicotine a couple of months ago and haven't had a suck since.

Is this an innuendo thread?

The reason I stopped to comment on this one was the clock. Combined with the expression on your face, there's an "It's nine o'clock... (e)Tab time!" feel to the image. Made me smile anyway :)

Another e-smoker here. Although I did go 0mg nicotine a couple of months ago and haven't had a suck since.

Is this an innuendo thread?

The reason I stopped to comment on this one was the clock. Combined with the expression on your face, there's an "It's nine o'clock... (e)Tab time!" feel to the image. Made me smile anyway :)

Hi Ian,

This was actually my first day off the 'analogue' fags and on the 'digital' ones, I may have overdone it on the dosage, judging by my expression... The clock stopped, some time ago, at one minute and sixteen seconds to nine, but I rather like that time, so I haven't tried to fix it.
Thanks for the comment, much appreciated.

Karl

Hi Karl, good start, it fits the theme nicely - it does look a bit like that's a penny whistle you're holding though ;)

The clock stopped, some time ago, at one minute and sixteen seconds to nine, but I rather like that time, so I haven't tried to fix it.

Quote of the month for me so far.

Hi and welcome aboard stopping smoking after 29 years must be very hard but keep up with it :)

It looks slightly out of focus and although the story about the clock is interesting I would rather it was either cropped out on me a bit more prominent.

Cheers

Hi Karl & a belated welcome to the 52's challenge from me :wave:

Another e-cig convert here....not had a proper one since April last year & been smoking for 30+ years...feel much better for it !

Good take on the theme....watch for clipped bits ( your ear ):)

Hi Karl & a belated welcome to the 52's challenge from me :wave:

Another e-cig convert here....not had a proper one since April last year & been smoking for 30+ years...feel much better for it !

Good take on the theme....watch for clipped bits ( your ear ):)
Thanks for that Lynne, I do too, much better. Have actually managed a half marathon since. I realised that the framing wasn't that good and the ISO on my phone (with which I took the selfie) made it a bit grainy and I should have perhaps put my camera on a tripod and manually focused, rather than trying thirty iPhone selfies until I got one that was half-way acceptable. More effort next time! Thanks for the crit and good luck with the vaping, though the term still makes me cringe!

Hi and welcome aboard stopping smoking after 29 years must be very hard but keep up with it :)

It looks slightly out of focus and although the story about the clock is interesting I would rather it was either cropped out on me a bit more prominent.

Cheers

Hi Andy,

It is a bit out, it was a result of thirty or so selfies with an iPhone, so the ISO would have cranked right up, as it was dark, and I think I chose the best of the bunch - though I should have just put my camera on a tripod and focused manually and set the timer. More patience next time! Thanks for the crit.
Karl

View attachment 29318 Fragile: Lychen on a rotten branch. Mixed in with the leaf-litter on the ground, I felt that this delicate forest flora's existence was quite precarious - as well a beautiful. Whether or not my photo does it justice or not is another matter...

Fragile: Lychen on a rotten branch. Mixed in with the leaf-litter on the ground, I felt that this delicate forest flora's existence was quite precarious - as well a beautiful. Whether or not my photo does it justice or not is another matter...

Fragile - I am not to sure on the composition, image looks a bit soft to me.

Scenic - that fits the theme nicely, a nice pleasing view in my opinion.

Thanks for that Mandy, I wasn't sure of the fragile one myself, to be honest, it looked a little bit wishy-washy once I'd posted it.
Thanks again,

Karl

A very interesting take on companions Karl. I feel like I would like a tiny bit more DoF to the image though

Hi Rob,
I did think that, after the fact. 'Companions' would be more companionable if they were both in sharp relief. It was a bit dark in there and I was precariously balanced and took f1.8 for the light as well as the bokeh; I'm a bit too cautious when it comes to higher ISOs and, with the lack of a tripod a longer exposure was out. I will try to be better equipped in future - or brave a higher ISO and be patient with the processing in Lightroom afterwords.

Thanks for the feedback.

Karl

A very interesting take on companions Karl. I feel like I would like a tiny bit more DoF to the image though

Just took a look at yours, Rob. I couldn't get your link to work (address invalid), so I'll leave my thoughts here - that is a fantastic 'Scenic', quite apart from the framing of the shot and the finding of such a spectacular location, the glowering skies and what looks like a tsunami breaking on the Welsh coastline... it looks like some photographic staging of Tristan & Isolde!
Beautiful. I'm afraid that I can't give you any useful critique!

Karl

Great idea. Agree with others regarding DOF, this would have really emphasised companions.

Sorry Karl, I too would have liked to see a bit more dof.
My attention was first drawn to Sir Ralph and I only noticed Lady Grey when you mentioned her in your description.

Great idea, companions for life.

Hi Karl :)

Scenic - Lovely colours on that scenic shot of yours Karl, think it could do with a little counter clockwise twist other than that a nice spot, well found :)

Companions - I'm with the others on the DoF, and I'd also want the hand on the RH side cropped, on the plus side, well lit shot, some good detail and again a nice different thought for the theme :)

Hi Rob,
I did think that, after the fact. 'Companions' would be more companionable if they were both in sharp relief. It was a bit dark in there and I was precariously balanced and took f1.8 for the light as well as the bokeh; I'm a bit too cautious when it comes to higher ISOs and, with the lack of a tripod a longer exposure was out. I will try to be better equipped in future - or brave a higher ISO and be patient with the processing in Lightroom afterwords.

Thanks for the feedback.

Karl

Thanks for your feedback and pointing out the broken link! I've now amended it.

What ISO were you shooting at? Ive only started braving the higher end of the ISO scale within the past 12 months, especially when shooting hand held. I must admit I've been pleasantly suprised with how its improved my "hit rate" when light is low. The ISO noise upto 1600 is easy to manage in Lightroom.

Last edited:
Hi Karl,

good catch up

Fragile - fits the theme, but a shame the foreground is oof

Scenic - nice shot of a cold winter's day

Companions - nice idea! It is a shame though that you couldn't quite get Lady Grey in focus, but difficult to do in a dark, cramped place

:)

Hi Karl and welcome .... Lots of threads to get around to at the moment!

I like the idea of the lichen for Fragile, I think a closer crop would bring it more into focus and emphasise the delicate detail.

A nice shot for scenic, I could fancy a walk along there.

I Love your choice for companions...it's a shame you can't see more of them both, but maybe it's one you could do again on a reshoot week.

Hi Karl :wave:

Scenic....good lead in line with the river,touch of frost on the banks & nicely framed with the tree's :)

Fragile.....can't see the exif data so wondering what lens you used ? Think you needed to get a little closer to the subject or move the foreground off stuff out of the way to get better focus ?

Hi Karl :)

Scenic - Lovely colours on that scenic shot of yours Karl, think it could do with a little counter clockwise twist other than that a nice spot, well found :)

Companions - I'm with the others on the DoF, and I'd also want the hand on the RH side cropped, on the plus side, well lit shot, some good detail and again a nice different thought for the theme :)
Thanks for that Dark Knight, leaving the tips of broken fingers in the shot was laziness on my part, I'm afraid. It should have been either the whole hand and wrist, or nothing at all - I think I have been quite roundly reprimanded over the DoF, considering the theme.. :)

Thanks again though: sometimes, even if you have a feeling about something, it doesn't click properly until someone else points it out and confirms your suspicions.

Karl

Thanks Lynne,

I was using a 35mm on the day, and it was a bit limiting - I did have a pretty good 18-55 kit lens with me, but because I'm a bit smitten with the 35mm prime and it's quality of image, I was trying to experiment with moving myself around the landscape to get the shot, rather than twirling the ring... I like the discipline of that idea, but it doesn't always work out in reality - I should perhaps of admitted defeat and used the more suitable lens.

Thanks again,

Karl
Hi Karl :wave:

Scenic....good lead in line with the river,touch of frost on the banks & nicely framed with the tree's :)

Fragile.....can't see the exif data so wondering what lens you used ? Think you needed to get a little closer to the subject or move the foreground off stuff out of the way to get better focus ?

Thanks for your feedback and pointing out the broken link! I've now amended it.

What ISO were you shooting at? Ive only started braving the higher end of the ISO scale within the past 12 months, especially when shooting hand held. I must admit I've been pleasantly suprised with how its improved my "hit rate" when light is low. The ISO noise upto 1600 is easy to manage in Lightroom.

Hi Rob,

I think it was a cautious 800, with the camera on live view and held up above my head - the monument is really quite high off the ground. But yes, I will try to use a tripod for such shots in the future, and try not to be so scared of high ISO!

Thanks for the feedback.

Karl

Hi Susie,

thanks for the feedback. As for the Fragile, I was a bit doubtful myself; the Scenic, I should have used a different lens and the DoF was wrong for companions - things I should have figured out for myself really, but it really is better to hear it from other people that to just have ones own 'sneaking suspicion'. Hopefully I will take on board all the helpful comments and make a better fist of the next one.. Challenge No 2 for me is to get a chance to look at everyone else's pictures!

Thanks again,

Karl

Well, it's certainly wet. Almost looks like someone has been writing in the mud.

Back