weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Again another great image and draws you straight to the subject of this weeks challenge. :clap:

Hi Graham, back again I see, couldn't keep away could you? ;)
Great start to this years 52, the fork image, simple yet very effective.
Play, bang on theme, the vivid blue colour is very appealing too, good work (y)

Thanks again everyone, I knew how I wanted the light to be, but it still took quite a few goes to get it there, too much spill, not enough spill, etc.

I like this. nice lighting and composition. i cant think of anything to crit. if i have to be extremely picky, id possibly clone out the return button on the right hand side because its a tiny bit distracting. (y)

Hi Graham,
You have two lovely shots for line and play. It shows what you can do with different lighting and that you don't have to have expensive lights.
I look forward to seeing your other themes as they come out!

Nice lighting and composition. I'm often not keen on frames but in this case it works well.

Thanks Peter, with teh BG being black, I felt it needed something to define the edge of the "image area", I'm not overly one for frames and borders, but sometimes they do help.

I like this. nice lighting and composition. i cant think of anything to crit. if i have to be extremely picky, id possibly clone out the return button on the right hand side because its a tiny bit distracting. (y)

Fair point there Adam, it is only partially lit, and blurred, so doesn't scream out, but I see your point - Cheers for making it. (y)

You have two lovely shots for line and play.

Thankyou very much Sarah

It shows what you can do with different lighting and that you don't have to have expensive lights.

When you don't have expensive lights, you just have to be a bit more inventive. I managed last year with available light, and by borrowing the kids LED bed lamps on occaisions.... I do have a flash and trigger on the way - so that's going to be my learning curve for this year

Last edited:
Play: Clean and well lit. What's not to like?

Gerry

Thanks chaps...

The colour of the blue I like too. It reminded me of my first shot for last years 52 (sin) but I decided to isolate the single key by light rather than focus this time.

Craig. Was indeed "light painting ", well spotted, really focussed beam to allow me to control the spill.

Dean. Clean up was really important to me. Unbelievable how much cr4p appears even after cleaning.
Minimal may well be the way forward... the less there is... the less there is to critical. :naughty:

Play - nicely composed and lit. The subject/theme is unmistakable. The bright blue buttons make them stand out as well.

Hi Graham

no crit from me , the bold blue Play has been well light & focused on , DOF spot on....cracker mister:clap:

Hi Graham, you're off to a strong start and it's a nice idea to show your SOOC shot for comparison.

Line - an unusual interpretation of the theme and the result is excellent with the lines of grain in the wood as well as the shadows of the tines and the line of light on the handle. Very effective.
Play - so simple and very effective. The lighting is perfect to make the word Play stand out and the blue colour is also striking. Nothing to dislike here at all!

I look forward to following your thread (y)

Light, light, light, I really am going to try to focus on that for this year. Thanks everyone.

Marsha, the little raised knobby bit could have gone, but as it's there, it never really jumped out at me as being wrong.

Week 3 - Close

Week 3 - SOOC

First week with my new flash - no wireless trigger yet so optically slaved off the inbuilt one (with some kitchen paper in front of it to lessen its effect).

Also tried with the 18-55 kits lens, but found it too easy to get reflections, so went with the 55-300 on tripod, with remote trigger.

And yes, I couldn't resist the SC on the iris. There is a colour one here too.

Hi Graham, having just taken a look at the colour version this one is so much better, not sure if a bit of a crop would work to the left hand side:thinking: but i see why you have placed the eye there
really must have a try myself one day (y)

Agree it could possibly take a bit off the left, but as you've probably guessed - I wanted the eye on a third, and I had focus point dead centre of the pupil..

Could always go for a bolder, closer crop, hmm, which I think I actually prefer.

(CLICK FOR BIGGER)

The crop looks excellent Graham, love the selective colouring (y) Something else I need to add to my 'learn to do' list

(y) for close Graham.
I prefer the closer crop, good work on achieving this without triggers/cable release or such.

I was thinking of something similar for my own submission but something else came up beforehand. I like the detail in this and the colours. It's kind of mesmerising. ".....look into my eye, not around the eye, in the eye........".

Excellent, I've tried doing this on myself, but can't get the focus right. Is it a selfie?

Go on, be honest, it was after a few pints and you had your camera back to front didn't you :beer:

Seriously though, a very clear well focussed image that is on the theme. Due to magnification I am assuming tripod and cable release were used to avoid camera shake.

I prefer the closer crop, good work on achieving this without triggers/cable release or such.

ahhh - I had my £2 wireless remote shutter release, just waiting on the wireless trigger for the flash.

Is it a selfie?

'Tis indeed Sarah. Flip out screen turned round and Liveview engaged.

Surely there must be someone not liking the SC. o_O

I am assuming tripod and cable release were used to avoid camera shake.

:LOL:

Yep - tripod and wireless remote release. Hold still and let the autofocus do its stuff.

'Tis indeed Sarah. Flip out screen turned round and Liveview engaged.

Surely there must be someone not liking the SC. o_O

Ahhh, I can't do that - I always miss focus on selfies - this is a good thing though :D

Great sharp image. Tried doing this and know how difficult it can be to get the focus right. Good idea to use a telephoto lens to avoid the reflections. Well done.

Original for me. I prefer the composition.

SC is nice and subtle so works for me.

Minor crit from me is the small catchlight. I feel it would be cleaner without it.

Lovely detail in the eye as well

Good show.

Cheers.

Back