weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Hi Graham
good idea, very well conceived and handled. #1 for me as the eye is better placed and there is context , i.e. part of the face. I have never had a dogmatic opinion about SC so in its merits this works really well.
Andy@posivew mentions a catchlight - is that the one in the centre of the pupil on the colour version - if so, taking out was good idea.

I'm not keen on selective colouring but this has been subtly done so works.

I'm sure I had it in my mind that you would be one of the ones it would be hard to "convince" about the SC, so I'm glad it's been well received.

Minor crit from me is the small catchlight. I feel it would be cleaner without it.

Lovely detail in the eye as well

Cheers Andy, never had any intention of removing that catchlight - the one dead centre from the in-built flash had to go, and even taking that sucked a bit of life from it

detail - was quite impressed myself, just with the 55-300 too, with it's 1.4m minimum focus distance.

Like the eye-dea. ;-) lovely clear eye. I thought about doing this too, but now I won't now.

boom boom...... with this many people, there are bound to be duplications. I'd do a couple of things differently if I shot it again.

I have never had a dogmatic opinion about SC so in its merits this works really well.

Andy@posivew mentions a catchlight - is that the one in the centre of the pupil on the colour version - if so, taking out was good idea.

I think everything has it's place, and to have a view on anything as a whole will limit your options. Things like SC, HDR, shallow DOF etc can all work well, when used well.

Catchlight Andy meant was I take it as the one at half past two, just on the border of the yellow and blue of my iris. as above, the central one had to go, along with the part reflection (of what I'm not sure - something vertical). I laid black cloth above, behind, under and below the camera to damp any reflections.

Lovely detail and the SC works for me. Regarding the crop - to me it cries out for a square crop from the original with the eye dead centre.

Now that freaks me out a little bit! I photographed my eye in 2012's 52, absolute nightmare trying to get it sharp and get the angle right. I am a fan of SC but I'm not keen on it in this shot. I think the colour is too bright, when I do SC I never bring back the full colour as it can be too much! I do prefer the colour version of this shot though.

Hi Graham....

Close: Nice idea will executed. Deffo the mono / SC version for me. I must admit I've never done a SC picture, but sure this technique may be useful on a 52 challange.

My only crit would be that I cant help but feel I want the mono element to be more "punchier" though appreciate this may distract attention away from the eye?

Now that freaks me out a little bit! I photographed my eye in 2012's 52, absolute nightmare trying to get it sharp and get the angle right. I am a fan of SC but I'm not keen on it in this shot. I think the colour is too bright, when I do SC I never bring back the full colour as it can be too much! I do prefer the colour version of this shot though.

Thanks Marsha - was the reflections I wanted to kill, and an off centre catchlight. Colour wise - I wanted the eye to have impact, hence the SC, brightening, sharpening, saturation boost. Knew someone wouldnt be keen on it but appreciate the honesty.

Off to try to find you eye - your signature broken btw - all three lines point to this years.

Close: Nice idea will executed. Deffo the mono / SC version for me. I must admit I've never done a SC picture, but sure this technique may be useful on a 52 challange.

My only crit would be that I cant help but feel I want the mono element to be more "punchier" though appreciate this may distract attention away from the eye?

Thanks again Jason, The non-eye section of the shot was intended to be complimentary to the impact of the iris, I think I slightly lightened the skin to do this, and provide contrast with the eyebrow and eyelash.

(y)

HI great shot for 'close' liking first one more than one with eye in centre. Like SC too, nice and subtle.:clap:
I also had a quick go at this but soon gave up, my eyes too bloodshot and tired looking lol

Great 'close' shot. Think the wider crop works better personally. The colouring really suits the subject too. :)

Week 4 - Bubble

Hmmm - who suggested this theme eh??

Here we go - "The boy in the bubble".... If I'd known how hard this was going to be.... I'd never have tried! I managed to get him into the bubble ONCE!, and got three shots off before it burst!

Nothing much in PP this week - straighten, crop, sharpen. (And then copy the left pocket onto the right to remove the flare / reflection there).

Week 4 - Bubble by overbez, on Flickr

Week 4 - SOOC

Last edited:
Excellent Graham (y) Good thinking. The reflection of the window in the bubble then down to the work surface? is great :)

Yes, isn't playing with bubbles a PITA! :LOL:

HI Graham, really good, well done for getting the final pic,
bubbles are a pain in the *rs*

Cracking take and really well lit.

Bet it was easy ;)

The reflection of the mirror works as does the orange BG. I'd like a tad mor symmetry, ie level BG.

Good show.

Cheers.

Nicely done, and I love the background colour. Only thing bothering me is the blob on the left side of the image.

The reflection of the window in the bubble then down to the work surface? is great :)

Cheers Phil - base was actually a sheet of white card, under a layer of bubble wrap (over egging the pudding there!), with a sheet of glass over that.

Bet it was easy ;)

Thanks Andy - easy peasy!! Lighting was just a lovely big, north facing window.

Tried blowing the bubbles with twisted wire, and then catching them and putting them on the glass, before sussing out you can blow them directly on the glass with a small tube.

Getting the boy inside is the hard part. Can't blow it around him, as the bubble sticks to him, and he ends up on a edge. So have to drop him through the bubble, and then reach in (with wet fingers) to stand him up (or sit him up).

Cheers Jason and Marsha. Glad you like and appreciate the efforts.

Fantastic window reflection Graham. Really makes the image. Great work yet again bud.

Cheers Alan, glad to see you keeping an eye on me!

Wonderful I like the composition, looks like all your faffing about has paid off so well done.

Hmmmm, Faffing probably does just about sum it up!

Nicely done, and I love the background colour. Only thing bothering me is the blob on the left side of the image.

Background is the wall of my boys bedroom, and the blob is some of the bubble mix. Only one to mention it, and I'm not sure I could clone it out well enough.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Excellent idea and very well executed - I don't think I'd have had the patience :LOL:

Cheers Phil - base was actually a sheet of white card, under a layer of bubble wrap (over egging the pudding there!), with a sheet of glass over that.

Cheers Graham, that's another good tip I hadn't thought of, could come in very useful :)

Good work on bubble Graham (y)
It's all been covered above but just to say, I enjoyed your 'how to' backstory.
What one thinks is a simple idea often turn out to be the opposite eh?

Super Job... wasn't sure if it was PP'd in until I read your comment well done graham :clap:

It sure looks like he has had a few burst on him :D

It would probably have been easier to just shoot the figure, and PP a bubble round him, but to get a reflection in which is needed to show the shape and smoothness of the bubble would have been impossible.

I had to dunk the chap into the bubble mix, as anything dry, will simply pop the bubble, whereas anything wet, (even a knife) can be slid through.

What one thinks is a simple idea often turn out to be the opposite eh?

A simple shot of a bubble on a glass sheet, dead simple, but it's finding that extra something that gives me the troubles, the difference it makes though is well worth the effort!

Hi Graham
Bubble - good idea and very patiently and well handled. Very clear. I like the colours, good to get something other than black or white b/g (yes mea culpa:D) A tough ask to get that bubble just right. I tried but had not got an implement to blow the bubbles - a simple plastic straw like you said - but was there one in our house ? :banghead:

Hi Graham
Bubble - good idea and very patiently and well handled. Very clear. I like the colours, good to get something other than black or white b/g (yes mea culpa:D) A tough ask to get that bubble just right. I tried but had not got an implement to blow the bubbles - a simple plastic straw like you said - but was there one in our house ? :banghead:

Thanks Alan, patience and persistence were the order of the day here. And no drinking straws in our house either - I used a piece of rubber tube from the pneumatic Lego sets I had when I were a lad.

And backgrounds can often add to the shot, with colour or texture. Used the roller blinds last year... see what I can find this year! Nice to get an outside shot in one of these weeks too!

Hi graham, sorry i haven't managed to stop by before, you look to have made a great start to this years challenge, and i'm loving that bubble photo, just wish i had half your patience

I'm loving all the elements in this image. The slight diagonal between white and orange (great background colour BTW), the sharpness, the character just off centre and even the window reflection. Top notch photo.

Hi Graham, I know how difficult it is to get a bubble on to a subject without popping, I soaked my subject in bubble mixture as well, but you have to be quick the bubbles don't last long!!:)
I'm another fan of the orange background and the window reflection!
Well done another good week!!:)

Back