weekly pjm1's 52 in 2015... 8 (Relax) added

Hi Paul

Great stuff. I love the effort you put in to your shoots and all the commenting.

great idea great set up great shot . did i mention I think its great.

Great idea and execution Paul. The focus is spot on where it needs to be and the use of a stark white background really helps accentuate the theme. Nice one.

Hi Paul, I really like this shot and I'm glad you've not converted to black and white this time as the subtle colours suit it! I'm also a great fan of using a shallow dof and its worked well here with just the focus on the tablets but leaving enough for you to make everything else out. If I have to crit it would be to have a little bit of juice left in the glass and to possibly have the tablet box with the writing the correct way round - though the more I think about it I don't think it really matters and could look too set up!!
Well done and I look forward to seeing next weeks shot!:)

Ha, hangover. Brilliant idea for the theme. Most of us have been there. I purposely don't drink much so I don't get them, probably since having kids lol. I really like the exposure and the dof. Good stuff!

Hi everyone... sorry for the delay in replying to comments - I had just enough time to comment on others' photos on Friday night before I had to get my kit ready for yesterday's hillwalking :)

(disclaimer - not read any comments already posted)
The important thing I noticed here was that you know what you wanted to achieve with this shot. You've a really strong leading line with that round table and I love the "bright light" background. Dead simple works here.

My minor comment.... (stressing the word minor)

Letters... I think turning the paracetamol packet the other way up and having the Tropicana in focus would add to the shot. If there are letters in an image, I want them to be sharp so I can read them. The OJ carton I can read in spite of blurriness, but upside down letters make me struggle to figure out what they are. If you want the pills to be the focal point, make them easy to read.

There. See how utterly minor that was. It's a great shot made better by the fact that thought has gone into both composition and DOF. The CA doesn't bother me at all. It's the story your telling that's important (to me).

Take what you like & leave the rest... Hope I haven't offended!

Thanks Ian... appreciate the crit and always welcome it even if minor ;) I did think about the box being the other way up so the viewer could read the writing but my reasoning was the flap would be up and that didn't strike me as particularly natural. Don't disagree with the tropicana being in focus... slightly different composition would have sorted that :)

Great idea - like how the pills are the focus - very appropriate for a fragile head the morning after! :)

Thanks Mich... indeed!

Late starter so just playing catch up on the feedback...

Bliss.... Great shot IMHO, a bit suggestive no what I mean nudge, nudge say no more! I love the concept, most of the crit in one way or another has been said, it certainly stimulated some interest! Anyhow I don't have a problem with it exactly as it sits. The label on the bottle is quite sharp where it needs to be, and I love the reflections captured in the neck of the bottle. I like the bra just cast aside and the pin sharp lace. The oof pillows work well contrasting the two main subjects. I think I might have just liked to have had the bottom of the bottle in shot (just a personal view). I like both B&W and colour versions both work well for me. A great concept well executed good work.

Fragile.... Works fine for me like the high key look, and the selective focus on the tablets, tells the story for me. Think you were right to stick with colour on this one... I think you would loose something under mono. The only thing that doesn't sit so well is the flare under the right arm. Nice work again Paul.

Thanks Steve - don't disagree with your crit on Bliss and thanks for the very positive comments on both!

Great shot Paul (fragile) really like the focus on the tablets with the rest slightly oof, I like that you left it in colour too - works perfectly for the theme :)

Thanks Tracy... very kind comments and given how high a standard your photos always set, it means a lot :)

Love this shot Paul, and really sums up fragile for me. The only crit I have has already been mentioned so I'll just say (y)

Thanks Jill!

Can't give much critique other than what’s been said by others

And thanks to you, too Stan!

Hi Paul

Great stuff. I love the effort you put in to your shoots and all the commenting.

Cheers David... I enjoy taking and commenting on photos and always look forward to yours too :)

great idea great set up great shot . did i mention I think its great.

Cheers Simon... not sure I caught it - could you say it again ;)

Great idea and execution Paul. The focus is spot on where it needs to be and the use of a stark white background really helps accentuate the theme. Nice one.

Thanks Peter!

Hi Paul, I really like this shot and I'm glad you've not converted to black and white this time as the subtle colours suit it! I'm also a great fan of using a shallow dof and its worked well here with just the focus on the tablets but leaving enough for you to make everything else out. If I have to crit it would be to have a little bit of juice left in the glass and to possibly have the tablet box with the writing the correct way round - though the more I think about it I don't think it really matters and could look too set up!!
Well done and I look forward to seeing next weeks shot!:)

Thank you for your detailed commentary, Sarah. Agree completely with your comments on the juice glass - others have mentioned the same thing! I'm afraid this week's shot is going to be a bit more "conventional"... having shot it, I just need to decide which one to use...

I like it Paul, the sooc image has edited well. Composition looks good, the single point of focus is a great idea.

Cheers Michael!

Ha, hangover. Brilliant idea for the theme. Most of us have been there. I purposely don't drink much so I don't get them, probably since having kids lol. I really like the exposure and the dof. Good stuff!

Thanks Mike - same here! Painful lesson (nearly) learned :)

Great shot Paul as has been said above. I'm sure we have all felt that way at one time or another!

Cheers Russell.

Right, after my expedition up the mountain yesterday (snapshot of key kit here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...nge-week-3-scenic.571962/page-10#post-6672469) I have got around to uploading my images. I also took a few shots on film, but obviously they'll be a couple of weeks away :(

I have shamelessly stolen Ian's (@Harlequin565 ) idea of a contact sheet for this week, because I took a fair few photos and can't entirely decide which is my favourite. I've chosen one though - the one posted below and on the main pictures thread but I've decided to include a filmstrip (rather than contact sheet, so it doesn't look quite as much of a shameless ripoff of Ian's brilliant idea!) of all five which I was considering.

So here is Week 3: Scenic

03: Scenic
by pjm1 (Paul), on Flickr

And the five which I narrowed that down from:

WHf8rJt.jpg

My chosen shot, for me, illustrates a blend of the scenery and the job of actually getting up there to enjoy it! White balance setting was nigh on impossible: overall WB was set to get the mountains in the mid-distance looking right (still a blue cast because they're in the shade) but that then made the sky look too yellow, as well as the foreground. Setting the WB so those looked "right" then made my pal's face look blue as well as the further away mountains. The only solution was to apply a couple of grad filters to tint the sky and foreground appropriately. F2B sharpness wasn't a particular desire here: I wanted my friend in focus (obviously) as well as the background mountains and clouds. I sacrificed a bit of very near focus to achieve that - personally that doesn't bother me but others may disagree.

I nearly chose the second image in the filmstrip, but to be honest, when it's blown up bigger it lacks a bit of interest for me: the tree is a bit too incidental.

I'm happy with my chosen shot, but I'll also concede it's certainly not a classic landscape shot and technically there are quite a few flaws (compositionally and other) which prevent it being worthy of any particular praise as a landscape, IMO.

Comments welcome as always, and here is the obligatory SOOC shot: White balance issues galore!

Last edited:
Excellent Paul,
all that preparation paid off (y)
I agree with your choice too, although I like the rest of the set,
That one would certainly be my pick too :)

Thanks Chris... yes, the prep paid off because we made it back! :) Slight change of plan because of a road closure caused by the snow... meant we couldn't get to our planned pair of hills, but we had a backup pair just in case which were only 30 minutes away in the car. An amazing day on the hills and although it was very hard work (waist deep powder at times) we had a ball. I am investing in some snow shows at some point though!

Hi Paul. Thanks for the description. I too think you chose best. I am pants at seeing/taking landscape photos so couldnt give any real feedback so apoloigies for that.
Fits the bill though, it really is scenic ;-)

Gaz

Good choice from the set posted on the filmstrip Paul (y)
Compositionally very good, your subject has somewhere to look into the frame.
It draws the viewers eye through and certainly makes me wonder what his view was like.
You've handled the white balance well too, I believe it is a bit tricky shooting in snow to balance the WB but you've done a great job.

Hi Paul. Thanks for the description. I too think you chose best. I am pants at seeing/taking landscape photos so couldnt give any real feedback so apoloigies for that.
Fits the bill though, it really is scenic ;-)

Gaz

Thanks Gary :) If it's any consolation, I'm also not great... I have a habit of taking a "pretty view" photo which lacks any particular subject. I'm working on that though: and having someone in shot definitely helps in that regard!

Good choice from the set posted on the filmstrip Paul (y)
Compositionally very good, your subject has somewhere to look into the frame.
It draws the viewers eye through and certainly makes me wonder what his view was like.
You've handled the white balance well too, I believe it is a bit tricky shooting in snow to balance the WB but you've done a great job.

Thans Iain - I appreciate that. Re: the bold bit, that was what I wanted to achieve: ordinarily I would have flipped the image horizontally, but I actually wanted the viewer to leave the frame and want more... not entirely conventional, but I thought it added to sense of scale etc.

Good to know that re: white balance in snow - it's not just me then! Cheers :)

Hi Paul, I think you have chosen the right image, as Iain says above compositionally its very good, WB looks good to me, its tempting sometimes to convert to B+W because of the issues, but I am glad you didn't

your hard work not only in the Processing but getting up there has paid off. (y)

And i thought it was cold on Talacre beach

Hi Paul, I think you have chosen the right image, as Iain says above compositionally its very good, WB looks good to me, its tempting sometimes to convert to B+W because of the issues, but I am glad you didn't

your hard work not only in the Processing but getting up there has paid off. (y)

And i thought it was cold on Talacre beach

Cheers Allan... worth the effort! It was about -10 with the wind chill (which was pretty light, fortunately)... it's times like these when buying good qualtiy kit is worth its weight in gold - my top-most mid layer (a lightweight Rab coat) was completely wetted out being under my waterproof but beneath that I was bone dry. That's the real issue with the cold: you can get too hot when you're moving but then freeze as soon as you stop. Wicking layers are the only way to go in these circumstances!

Wow, first of all kudos for getting up there in those conditions. I bet you felt like this :banana::banana::banana:

Second, you chose the right shot, even with WB issues it's still a bloody good picture and tbh I wouldn't have noticed them if you hadn't pointed them out to me :p

Onwards and upwards eh hehehehehhe

Hi Paul, I think all your images are fantastic and very fitting with theme's, I like the scenic shots 4 and 5 the one you've chose, that's one Awesome view !! Excellent capture !! (y)

Hi Paul, it sounds like you had a good climb up there, and your prep paid dividends, but you obviously know what you're doing when it comes to heading up the hills in winter.

another vote for #3 from me - it really shows what amazing views you get from the tops. Well done

Thanks Paul (y)

I agree with Iain & others about reasons for liking #5

My 2nd choice #1 ... love the bleakness with an explosion of light somewhere in the BG

Hi Paul
I saw your shot re the equipment on Friday and shuddered at the thought!:eek:
Good results tho. (y)
I kinda like #1 because of the radiating sky above the hills and the fall from r to l.
But agree that your chosen one is the standout. looked at the SOOC and you have done cracking work on the WB - finished image is very clean and clear(y). Comp good but would like to have seen more of an angle on your mate and thus a touch more of the view to the right. Still you wouldn't get me up there at any price so who am I to crit.:exit:

Hi, I really must dust of my walking gear and get back up them mountains :(

Well composed, nice contemplative look on your mate's face. Nice detail and just the right amount in focus.

Cheers.

Scenic - a wonderful idea for the theme I love this, I feel that this may be one of the best bits of work I have seen from you. The image you chose is IMO outstanding, I have to say it looks a wee bit cold there. I love snow images they are among my favourite groups of photos to look at. Sadly since moving from Scotland to where I live now I don't get to see any proper snow.

Hi Paul, Nice work (you'll always be on the + side with me if its mountains;))..... This would have worked well as "Bliss" for me to!
" I have a habit of taking a "pretty view" photo" .........looks like your getting out of the habit Paul....
Nice to see your film strip and your write up. I think your choosen shot is probably the right one out of the set, nice clear defined point of focus. Love the clouds on the LH side pouring over the saddle. some nice clear layers. White balance can be a mare in the snow, and those blues casts from the ice crystals... Its always tricky getting the colour temp and exposure comp correct. Well done on Number 5.

Filmstrip
No1, Nice shot, love the sunrice bleeding round the LH side of the mountain, Nice composition but that foreground scrub is a bit distracting, like the streaming clouds over the snow capped peaks.
No2 Nice foreground interest with the snow covered rock, focal point of the tree silhouette, against the blue sky quite nice, like the view down through the valley, exposure well held for the light. Nice strong diagonal lead in.
No3 Is the focal point that collapsed reindeer just right of centre ;). I dont think the B&W conversion(?) does the shot any justice Paul.
No4 I quite like this, like the view running alont the ridge up to the peak, Nice slash of blue over the lower peaks. Great diagonal pulling you right into the shot. Billowing clouds over the lower peaks, Nice.

Probably Nos 5, 4 and 2 not much between them.

Nice work

Cracking photo Paul.

I also like #2.
I can only imagine what hes looking at, but it must have been an awesome view.

Thank you Darren and thanks for the Flickr comment! It was pretty awesome up there... and to think I was suggesting we cancel when the weather was looking a bit sketchy!

Wow, first of all kudos for getting up there in those conditions. I bet you felt like this :banana::banana::banana:

Second, you chose the right shot, even with WB issues it's still a bloody good picture and tbh I wouldn't have noticed them if you hadn't pointed them out to me :p

Onwards and upwards eh hehehehehhe

Thanks Jill... we were pretty stoked :) Onwards and upwards was our motto everytime we cursed not having snowshoes on!

Hi Paul, I think all your images are fantastic and very fitting with theme's, I like the scenic shots 4 and 5 the one you've chose, that's one Awesome view !! Excellent capture !! (y)

Cheers Barney - appreciated and it seems to have been a bit of a hit :)

Hi Paul, it sounds like you had a good climb up there, and your prep paid dividends, but you obviously know what you're doing when it comes to heading up the hills in winter.

another vote for #3 from me - it really shows what amazing views you get from the tops. Well done

Hiya Lorraine, it was superb conditions and the fresh "icing sugar" powder was exceptional... I just wish I'd had my skis with me for the descent (although they're slalom skis so not exactly forgiving in powder!)

#3... that's a bit of a surprise but glad you like it :)

Excellent image Paul.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Thanks Paul (y)

I agree with Iain & others about reasons for liking #5

My 2nd choice #1 ... love the bleakness with an explosion of light somewhere in the BG

Hiya David, thanks for looking and commenting. Glad you like them both - there were a variety of shots out there and it was just fun to capture a few :)

Hi Paul
I saw your shot re the equipment on Friday and shuddered at the thought!:eek:
Good results tho. (y)
I kinda like #1 because of the radiating sky above the hills and the fall from r to l.
But agree that your chosen one is the standout. looked at the SOOC and you have done cracking work on the WB - finished image is very clean and clear(y). Comp good but would like to have seen more of an angle on your mate and thus a touch more of the view to the right. Still you wouldn't get me up there at any price so who am I to crit.:exit:

Hiya Alan... you'll be pleased to know my ice axe wasn't used in anger, although my pal arrested once albeit on a fairly gently gradient (unlike my once-upon-a-time story of an axe arrest 50m up a 45 degree ice wall :eek:)

Glad you like 5 and 1... it was actually fun getting up there to take them but you might take a bit more convincing, I sense ;)

Hi, I really must dust of my walking gear and get back up them mountains :(

Well composed, nice contemplative look on your mate's face. Nice detail and just the right amount in focus.

Cheers.

Hiya Andy... yes you must! If you have the gear then it's just sitting there getting old and dirty if you're not using it ;)

Cheers for the comments and looking forward to catching up with commenting on everyone else's.

Scenic - a wonderful idea for the theme I love this, I feel that this may be one of the best bits of work I have seen from you. The image you chose is IMO outstanding, I have to say it looks a wee bit cold there. I love snow images they are among my favourite groups of photos to look at. Sadly since moving from Scotland to where I live now I don't get to see any proper snow.

Hiya Mandy, thanks for commenting and so sorry to hear about the job news. Fingers crossed for you...

I'm glad you like it and thank you so much for the huge compliment - it's nice when a photo works :) You know the answer is to move back!

I think everyone has mentioned everything about the shot so I can't give much critique other than I love it.

:clap:

Hiya Stan, thank you for commenting and glad you love it :)

Hi Paul, Nice work (you'll always be on the + side with me if its mountains;))..... This would have worked well as "Bliss" for me to!
" I have a habit of taking a "pretty view" photo" .........looks like your getting out of the habit Paul....
Nice to see your film strip and your write up. I think your choosen shot is probably the right one out of the set, nice clear defined point of focus. Love the clouds on the LH side pouring over the saddle. some nice clear layers. White balance can be a mare in the snow, and those blues casts from the ice crystals... Its always tricky getting the colour temp and exposure comp correct. Well done on Number 5.

Filmstrip
No1, Nice shot, love the sunrice bleeding round the LH side of the mountain, Nice composition but that foreground scrub is a bit distracting, like the streaming clouds over the snow capped peaks.
No2 Nice foreground interest with the snow covered rock, focal point of the tree silhouette, against the blue sky quite nice, like the view down through the valley, exposure well held for the light. Nice strong diagonal lead in.
No3 Is the focal point that collapsed reindeer just right of centre ;). I dont think the B&W conversion(?) does the shot any justice Paul.
No4 I quite like this, like the view running alont the ridge up to the peak, Nice slash of blue over the lower peaks. Great diagonal pulling you right into the shot. Billowing clouds over the lower peaks, Nice.

Probably Nos 5, 4 and 2 not much between them.

Nice work

Hi Steve... wow that's a proper detailed critique and of the other shots too... thank you!

I'm guessing from your av you're a bit of a mountain/iceclimbing fan. Well, we wimped out with no ropework. We're off up the InPinn probably in May but that's just regular climbing in the summertime rather than icework.

Agree with your Bliss comment - there were times when the sparkling snow/ice was just magical. There was also one time when we were waist-deep and not particularly loving the ascent :( (no snowshoes, stupidly)

Thanks so much for the comments on the filmstrip as well - I popped that up really to give a bit of context to the thought/selection process but I do appreciate you taking the time to crit that too. #3 is definitely the weakest for me - it's actually my pal sitting down sorting out his poles! I composed it as a portrait but the strip program I used (Lightroom) just set them all to the same aspect ratio so cropped it back again.

I also have had my 120 film back from the developers - I have three shots on Portra 400 which I'm planning on scanning in at the weekend. Another four from sledging on Sunday with the kids... obviously hadn't had enough of a snow fix!

Cheers for the crit :)

Hi Paul,

Fragile, great composition and the DOF works well.
Scenic, wow. You have done great work with the WB. I was trying to photograph in snow yesterday and it's a challenge. I've got myself a little grey card and actually set it according to that. certainly made life easier on some of them, but the changing light/ clouds can scupper that. The composition works well and the OOF foreground doesn't bother me, I'm more interested in amazing mountains than flattened grass.

Oh and it's entirely your fault now that all I want is a Double Decker and we can't get them here :crying:

Loving your scenic shot Paul - like your description (for us beginners its a bonus to see how to think re shots) Great to see such a vibrant shot. I'm trying to get something in the drab dismal colours where I am just now!

Hiya Stan, thank you for commenting and glad you love it :)

Hi Steve... wow that's a proper detailed critique and of the other shots too... thank you!

I'm guessing from your av you're a bit of a mountain/iceclimbing fan. Well, we wimped out with no ropework. We're off up the InPinn probably in May but that's just regular climbing in the summertime rather than icework.

Agree with your Bliss comment - there were times when the sparkling snow/ice was just magical. There was also one time when we were waist-deep and not particularly loving the ascent :( (no snowshoes, stupidly)

Thanks so much for the comments on the filmstrip as well - I popped that up really to give a bit of context to the thought/selection process but I do appreciate you taking the time to crit that too. #3 is definitely the weakest for me - it's actually my pal sitting down sorting out his poles! I composed it as a portrait but the strip program I used (Lightroom) just set them all to the same aspect ratio so cropped it back again.

I also have had my 120 film back from the developers - I have three shots on Portra 400 which I'm planning on scanning in at the weekend. Another four from sledging on Sunday with the kids... obviously hadn't had enough of a snow fix!

Cheers for the crit :)

I like to try and give meaningful critique where I can, not just great shot, I think it's more apt when someone has taken trouble to post there photographs.
Yes love the mountains! Used to be a mountain leader, but don't get the opportunity to get there nearly enough nowadays (work/family :(). Stupidly all that time I spent on the mountain, I hardly ever had a camera with me ( pre digital age:eek:) so the handful of photos I have we're all taken by friends. Now I think how bloody stupid was I! So it's a good excuse to go back and take all those photographs I should have taken.

Looked like you were having fun! Ah yes ice climbing that was when I was a bit younger on a climbing holiday in New Zealand the Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier, it was great but since I had a bit of an accident only get to do the less technical stuff now:( age takes a heavy toll:mad:

Sgurr Dearg well that will be great and there's lots of photo opportunities around the Isle of Skye bet you can't wait.

Liked your filmstrip, I know it was your friend but the pole bindings hanging from the crossed poles looked like antlers:), well on my rotten work monitor. It's nice to see some, shall we call them "the few" still use film, I sold all my film gear (Pentax/Contax) wish I hadn't now of course, family pressures then and all that:rolleyes:.

Have a great time Paul, look forward to seeing more of your work, and enjoy!
PS you can never get enough snow;)
All the best
Steve

Back