Monthly Posiview's 2013 ETC thread - December Dome (ish) added and project FINISHED...maybe :)

Love the colours, mainly the reds in your contre jour shot, nice bit of flare too.

Cool water drop images too. I prefer the first one, the classic water drop falling. The cluster of water drops at the very top are cool too, the add some extra detail and interest. The border works, nice stuff.

Hi Andy, Contre Jour is a really good shot, i like the color saturation. The bit of lens flair is a distraction bottom right but its always going to be there with shooting at the sun! Some people are just spoil sports ey! Not like you where doing anything wrong!

No1 of your water drops is my pick! Nice color and sharpness.

Like you, Andy, I have no idea what Contre Jour means before this month's themes came up!

Like the shot. Excellent d.o.f. from foreground to distance cloud in focus with perfect explosure too.

Like both the water drops shots too.

Hi Andy, contre jour is great; I love the colours, the texture and the depth, though the blown sun does bother me a bit, especially in contrast to that lovely dark sky.

Water drops are very very good, with lovely well defined drops, but I'm not so keen on what they're dripping off!

Love the colours, mainly the reds in your contre jour shot, nice bit of flare too.

Cool water drop images too. I prefer the first one, the classic water drop falling. The cluster of water drops at the very top are cool too, the add some extra detail and interest. The border works, nice stuff.

Hi Andy, Contre Jour is a really good shot, i like the color saturation. The bit of lens flair is a distraction bottom right but its always going to be there with shooting at the sun! Some people are just spoil sports ey! Not like you where doing anything wrong!

No1 of your water drops is my pick! Nice color and sharpness.

Thanks, all appreciate the FB (y)

I know what you mean about feeling like you have so much time per month. I'm struggling for february as I think I can wait until the last minute to do the themes I'm not really that interested in.

I like all 3 of your recent submissions. Nice shadows in your natural light and both well composed. Not sure what to say about the multiplicity shot, that's one of the themes I'm not really interested in. You can have a 'nice shot' comment for that :LOL:

Hi Andy, I know what you mean, but if you think about it, there's more to do here than in the 52's; this is a 72!

I think it's not helped by the lack of participants/comments. It just feels a bit uninspiring :(

Maybe I'll jump back into the 52. I'll have a think about that!

Anyway, your shots. I like both natural light ones, but the fact that the girl (Isabelle?) isn't in the middle in the first one bugs me given the rest of the composition. The second shot is fantastic; great tones, composition and light.

Your multiplicity shot is a little disappointing I'm afraid :(, only because I'm used to seeing great imagination from you (whereas this one's been done before), and because it's not technically perfect like most of your shots are. You need to get your clone tool out on the cushion seams, and the right elbow of the middle "you", where it overlaps the white tea-shirt, isn't quite right. I'm not sure what needs changing, but it just doesn't quite look real.

You need to get your clone tool out on the cushion seams, and the right elbow of the middle "you", where it overlaps the white tea-shirt, isn't quite right. I'm not sure what needs changing, but it just doesn't quite look real.
I didn't spot those seams while looking on my phone! I take back my 'nice shot' and replace it with a :puke:

:LOL:

I know what you mean about feeling like you have so much time per month. I'm struggling for february as I think I can wait until the last minute to do the themes I'm not really that interested in.

I like all 3 of your recent submissions. Nice shadows in your natural light and both well composed. Not sure what to say about the multiplicity shot, that's one of the themes I'm not really interested in. You can have a 'nice shot' comment for that :LOL:

Thanks, appreciate the FB :bonk:

Hi Andy, I know what you mean, but if you think about it, there's more to do here than in the 52's; this is a 72!

I think it's not helped by the lack of participants/comments. It just feels a bit uninspiring :(

Maybe I'll jump back into the 52. I'll have a think about that!

Anyway, your shots. I like both natural light ones, but the fact that the girl (Isabelle?) isn't in the middle in the first one bugs me given the rest of the composition. The second shot is fantastic; great tones, composition and light.

Your multiplicity shot is a little disappointing I'm afraid :(, only because I'm used to seeing great imagination from you (whereas this one's been done before), and because it's not technically perfect like most of your shots are. You need to get your clone tool out on the cushion seams, and the right elbow of the middle "you", where it overlaps the white tea-shirt, isn't quite right. I'm not sure what needs changing, but it just doesn't quite look real.

Hi, Mark, I was lucky to get Isabelle to walk in a straight line, but I know what you're saying.

Multiplicity, I'm hugely disappointed with this one. It's just very a very weak idea. I has such hight hopes for this one as well, onwards and upwards :D

I didn't spot those seams while looking on my phone! I take back my 'nice shot' and replace it with a :puke:

:LOL:

:bat:

Well, for the fist time since I joined TP I'm late with a post. 2 more themes to post and run out of time, which is ironic because I said we had loads of time :bonk:

Anyway, I'm off to Scaleber Force Friday and have a few ideas for water drops/splashes and bubbles :D

Cheers all.

Hi, all, well didn't get all 6 February themes completed but I'm carrying on so here's my first attempt at Planet Panorama. Quite pleased with it. Taken at National Coal Mining Museum today.

Cheers all and this month's going to be an interesting one. I did have to Google the two effects themes and I'm capable of doing them, my real objective, though, is to be origional.

March Planet Panorama by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Lucky you getting some sun. As for Isabelle you know what they say about Animals and Children. I tried with both this month and got nowhere.

The spring is the best of the 3. The multiplicity may lack originality and have dodgy "seams" but at least you had a go.

I like the planet panorama. I now at least know what one is (y)

Hi ya

thought I'd take a nosey round some of the other challenges to show support

Multiplicity....not tried one of these (have no idea how you do them ) but liking your shot (y)

The 1#2nd natural light image....wonderful abstract..needs framing...gloriouos colors , great shadow (y)

Planets aren't quite as easy as they 1st appear...my 1st attempt you could see the joins ! Shame you didn't have some lovely blue sky to set it off

Hi Andy, good shot for the planet. it's nice to see an industrial scene in these things for a change. My only crit would be that it's a shame the structures at 4 and 8 o'clock have been beheaded! What's wrong with you man, do you not have a 2mm lens?

Lucky you getting some sun. As for Isabelle you know what they say about Animals and Children. I tried with both this month and got nowhere.

The spring is the best of the 3. The multiplicity may lack originality and have dodgy "seams" but at least you had a go.

I like the planet panorama. I now at least know what one is (y)

Hi ya

thought I'd take a nosey round some of the other challenges to show support

Multiplicity....not tried one of these (have no idea how you do them ) but liking your shot (y)

The 1#2nd natural light image....wonderful abstract..needs framing...gloriouos colors , great shadow (y)

Planets aren't quite as easy as they 1st appear...my 1st attempt you could see the joins ! Shame you didn't have some lovely blue sky to set it off

Hi Andy, good shot for the planet. it's nice to see an industrial scene in these things for a change. My only crit would be that it's a shame the structures at 4 and 8 o'clock have been beheaded! What's wrong with you man, do you not have a 2mm lens?

Cheers, all. I might have another go at one of these.

Well for #1, I followed the instructions to the letter but not sure it's worked :thinking: The bottom right was a red van and the left was a blue lorry but gone a bit wierd :thinking:

#2 and #3 look better but it was taken against a black BG (and converted to white BG) so doesn't seem right either. Anyways, here's 3 Harris Effects.

I'll have to see what other's post and seek advice (y)

Harris 3 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

March Harris Shutter effect (backups) by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

March Harris Shutter effect 2 (backups) by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Well done Andy for finishing the March themes and some excellent shots too. I like the sky in Panorama 3, beautiful cloud details and blue sky. We don't get weather like that up here even in mid-summer :LOL:

Out of all your Harris Shutter Effect shots, the black background one is the best of the three IMHO. I haven't tried these yet but will soon be.

Hi Andy :)

I like your second Harris shutter shot best; I think it's an original use of it, and is nicely composed.

Tilt shift works better than I'd expect given the subject; it's definitely got the toy effect.

Of the two panoramas, I like the first best because its got lovely colours, a fantastic sky, and an interesting view. The second one lacks a subject I think.

I like your Harris shutter on the motorway, I like how the lorry is translucent in a nice colorful way.

Your long exposure has turned out really nice, I prefer the colour version

Hi Andy, I like both of those, but the black and white one wins for me. I think the colour one has too little contrast in the top two thirds.

Nice blue sky, so I think you're lying about taking it this month (or even year!)!

I like your Harris shutter on the motorway, I like how the lorry is translucent in a nice colorful way.

Your long exposure has turned out really nice, I prefer the colour version

Thanks, very strange photography, I was rather disappointed with the Harris one.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, I like both of those, but the black and white one wins for me. I think the colour one has too little contrast in the top two thirds.

Nice blue sky, so I think you're lying about taking it this month (or even year!)!

Yeah, b&w for me as well.

When I arrived the sky was blue, and I mean totally blue. Took a walk around and some clouds started to meander into view. I was relieved.

Cheers.

Well, sometimes I want to ggrrrrrrrrr!

Went to a local lock for my timelapse. Set camera up, metered, put my grad filter in, set the internalometer and started photographing. After a while, I though, 'why have put my 10 stopper in!?'. Gutted. Really gutted.

Anyway, I moved onto the black card effect. How the chuff does this work! I could not get a slow enough shutter speed (even at f22, and low 0.1 ISO). I think I got something but I'll have to see. Whatever it is, it's going to be my submission.

All that aside, I managed to get my TP52 submission and a few that will enable to to resurrect my Project 100 Red.

Anyway, on with the ironing :)

Cheers all.

Hi Andy. I really like the finger shot; very very clever!

I agree with you about the second zoom burst shot; very artistic and worthy of the wall. That said it may be one of those shots that's best when it's of someone else's child; it's not exactly flattering!

Hi Andy. I really like the finger shot; very very clever!

I agree with you about the second zoom burst shot; very artistic and worthy of the wall. That said it may be one of those shots that's best when it's of someone else's child; it's not exactly flattering!

I must say, Andy, they are very different for sure. I just love that 'finger' shot, very unusual but very apt for the theme.

Burst zoom, well they are very artistic and as long as Isabelle is happy enough for the shot to be hang that's all that matter.

Cheers

Cheers, yeah the zoom burst does have a real alien feel to it...anything for my art :D

I'm not getting far with the black card.

Duo tone doesn't look too hard, just need to find a decent subject matter.

Timelapse, struggling with patience with this one.

Anyway, I really wanted to get some long exposures in Leeds center, the long ones where the streets appear empty, but as blooming usual, I bottled it :help:

Managed to get this one. There were some decent clouds but they just sat there...hence the rather drab sky.

Cheers all and the weather is cracking in Leeds so I might go to the gym :D

TP 2013 ETC project Long exposure town by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Last edited:
That's one of those shots that grows on you I think. I wasn't keen at first, but then I started to notice the symmetry in the buildings and the interesting extras like the wheel.

I've found that long exposures to remove people very rarely work in the city unless you can get a VERY long one. I think there are too many people, and that the background is never uncovered enough to dominate the exposure. Instead I've used this technique to get empty space where you don't expect it.

There's no need to bottle taking the shots though. I can't bring myself to do street photography with individuals as subjects, but general shots, even long exposure ones and others using a tripod, are fine. If you just get on with it rather than looking nervously at people, most will ignore you, and a few will be interested in what you're doing and chat to you. The key is to behave as if you have every right to be doing what you're doing (you do!), and as if it's perfectly normal.

Last edited:
That's one of those shots that grows on you I think. I wasn't keen at first, but then I started to notice the symmetry in the buildings and the interesting extras like the wheel.

I've found that long exposures to remove people very rarely work in the city unless you can get a VERY long one. I think there are too many people, and that the background is never uncovered enough to dominate the exposure. Instead I've used this technique to get empty space where you don't expect it.

There's no need to bottle taking the shots though. I can't bring myself to do street photography with individuals as subjects, but general shots, even long exposure ones and others using a tripod, are fine. If you just get on with it rather than looking nervously at people, most will ignore you, and a few will be interested in what you're doing and chat to you. The key is to behave as if you have every right to be doing what you're doing (you do!), and as if it's perfectly normal.

A different approach to the Long Exposure theme but an interesting and busy image. The smooth wheel on the left and the ghostly bus confirmed it's a long exposure shot

Cheers. One day I will be able to get my camera out and do street photography without going :confused::whistle::exit:

Until recently I've not been a great fan of botanical photography, but watched an episode of Ted Forbes The Art of Photography on Youtube (I'd highly recommend him) and he discuss Karl Blossfeldt linky and it really inspired me.

So, here's my Black and White for May. I'm tempted to do 6 B&Ws :D

Cheers. Best viewed in Flick lightbox linky

Ode to Kark Blossfeldt by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Back