weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

Some interesting stuff. :banana:

I think you chose the right pic to post on the main thread.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their feedback and comments. I've only been a member for 10 days now, but I hope I'm already learning. I think the most important thing I've learned is that I need to take my time and not rush at it and I need to look at the big picture, concentrating on subject, focus and theme all at the same time without sacrificing one for another. I've loved looking at other people's photos which have provided me with both inspiration and aspiration!

The 2nd breeze block picture looks very good to me, I like the colours and the bubbles.
I think an anti-clockwise rotate might suit it.

Breeze blocks ??? It's amazing what's right under our noses but we don't know it :)

First two ideas for Sense -

Five Senses

5bi0w.jpg

Or Sense of Loss

2gtzuy1.jpg

I've had another go at the first one using earphones instead of headphones to make it a bit less haphazard, ditched the stylus off the touchscreen phone and used a side light to add shadows. I like it better now - thanks for the feedback!

s15nvq.jpg

I see what you are trying to do ad I like the idea, but still not sure on the composition.

Its certainly a great idea, lighting wise and composition, 2nd image works better for me (y) just looks a little regimental as opposed to the first looking a little messy :thinking:

I imagine having objects of different size and shape like these, a pleasing composition could be a little tricky :thinking:

On theme and as said, it's not easy to compose with such a variety of differently shaped objects. I'd have tried a few different compositions and perhaps tried to make a few different shapes.

Cheers.

Yes, very clever, especially using the touch-screen phone, I may not have thought of that.

Edit is much better - but still not quite there - not too sure how it should be composed - but a very good idea (y)

On reflection, I think that turning the earphones round so that the wires trailed out to the bottom right corner might have provided a bit more balance to the shadows in the top left, but I tried so many different angles and arrangements, that I've had enough of this theme now :runaway: Thanks for all the comments :)

Excellent idea, very clever but the composition is a bit off, but well done for trying something different

First attempt for Week 8 Ending - Fairytale Ending

vo5z7o.jpg

I would have preferred Cinderella marrying her Prince Charming, but this was the best I could find.

Or maybe something a bit more grown up - Up-Ending

24m4x0n.jpg

HI Elain

much prefer the more ordered shot for Sense , good to see a different yet literal take on the theme :)

Ending.....#1st image not doing a lot for me but the 2nd one has possibilities , lovely black bg & like the empty space (y) Think a more side on view of the bottle ( as opposed to straight down) catching the last drop as it leaves the bottle ? Sounds much easier than I suspect it would be to capture though

OK, so I've been for a walk in the woods today and come up with a couple more ideas for ending.

Winter Is Ending

oiyyxv.jpg

Not too keen on the square crop, but I really wanted to get the yellow one in and couldn't find a pleasing 3x4

Or -

A Long Life Ending

35l7lvk.jpg

Sense - The 2nd attempt by far the better one, Its so not easy to compose these with out it looking to composed. Not to sure on the shadows being so harsh.

Ending - I'll go with the Grown Up effort. Nice BG (y) would maybe lose the fingers and have the bottle slightly out of the glass :thinking:

I think I'm going with the tree, purely and simply because it typifies what I've seen far too much of these last couple of weeks - so many beautiful old trees destroyed by the Big Storm on the 12th - and I was still hearing ominous-sounding creaks today :( So this is my memorial to them all.

Sense - The 2nd attempt by far the better one, Its so not easy to compose these with out it looking to composed. Not to sure on the shadows being so harsh.

Ending - I'll go with the Grown Up effort. Nice BG (y) would maybe lose the fingers and have the bottle slightly out of the glass :thinking:
Thanks Michael, but if I'd lost the fingers it would have been "Susp-Ending" :D I did try to get the neck of the bottle above the glass, but holding it in my left hand whilst holding the camera in my right hand and focussing, the only way I could get it to stay still was to have it actually touching the inside rim of the glass :oops: :$

Hi Elaine :)

Ending - Lovely bright colours to your flowers, shame some of them are clipped, I see why you went for the square crop, maybe the patch needed some pruning prior to the shot :D

So for me it's the tree too composition and crop wise, but also feel it needs something to make the trunk stand out a tiny bit more :)

A couple of nice entries (y)

So for me it's the tree too composition and crop wise, but also feel it needs something to make the trunk stand out a tiny bit more :)

A couple of nice entries (y)
Thanks DK. You're right about the trunk needing to stand out more. I'm always afraid of the over-exposed look and loss of detail in b/w shots by adding too much brightness and contrast, but I think this one looks better.

mv268m.jpg

Back