weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

Ending... the grown up one for me, some nice images (y)(y)

Probably the bottle one for me too Elaine ..... but I do like the tree :confused:.... maybe I will settle on both :)
.... well done for doing so many....I haven't even got one yet !

Thanks Judi and Susie

I'm afraid I find the tree a bit fat and grey especially compared to the colours of the crocuses.

I agree. I'm afraid I let sentimentality overcome aesthetics in my choice for this week.

The tree background is a bit too busy so in B&W the tree does not stand out. A much shallower DoF may have worked.
The bottle one is quite good but the highlight at the top and the hand is distracting.

Well my first thought for Positive was a pregnancy test, but then I realised that I didn't know anyone who is likely to be pregnant by the end of the week, so that would have been more of a negative. :(

Next idea was a little white china duck, that I thought I could reverse the colour on and have both positive and negative together, but despite hours of fiddling with lights, it still didn't look anything apart from 2-dimensional. :(:(

So, after even more hours of fiddling with balancing acts, lights and pp (it's been a quiet day!), this is my final submission -

Positive Thinking - Glass Half Full

2ilogux.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Elaine, sorry I've not been here before now. Sense, a good idea and nice lighting, not sure on the composition though. But I like the one with the poem, just reminds me of Four weddings and a funeral!

Ending. My life revolves around reading nursery rhymes and fairy tales, I rather like that shot :)
The edit of the tree is much better.

Hi Elaine

Ending ....yup , on theme & makes me feel better just seeing some color in the world ! Crop is a little awkward , shadows a little harsh.....I find when shooting flowers getting down to ground level helps ( though it does make for more clothes to be washed !)

The tree is on theme but I keep going back to the colorful crocus

Positive.....neat take on the theme...always half full for me :) the glass does look a little on the soft side ?

Half full is definitely positive Elaine, its a great take on the theme (y) have to agree though,it looks a little soft, blurry, oof.......just not sure :thinking:

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. When I set the shot up, I needed to find a box that was big enough to hold the glass, but small enough to be able balance on one corner without tipping over. I then painted it black inside, but unfortunately the only black paint I have is glossy rather than matte, so although it was fairly straightforward painting the matte black BG around the outside of the glass in Photoshop, getting rid of the shine and reflections inside/behind it was a step beyond my abilities, so I think that's why it looks soft and smudged. I'll try and stick to something a little less ambitious next week!

Positive, IMO, a glass that has anything in it is a positive :)

On theme, but as said, looks a tad soft. The lighting hives it a 70s advertisement feel.

Cheers.

Hi, have to agree with whats been said about the glass
nice idea and i like the angle you have taken it at

Hi Elaine, I think getting a good shot of glass (and its contents) is hard, so well done there. Nice take on the theme and I love the colour of the liquid, even though I have no idea what it is. It looks kinda goldy / brassy to me.

Excellent idea Elaine

But .... I do agree with other about the smudginess and stuff.

Thanks for all the comments.

Week 10 - Time. Still on the drinks theme, but this time something a little less alcoholic than last week's brandy (yes, that's what it was!)

Time for a break

6r2dcn.jpg

That's actually the shape of the saucer Mandy, but thanks for the positive comments !

Sorry, but I've tried looking at it from all angles and I can't see what you mean. Maybe I'm missing something with the poor light in here so I'll have another look at it in the morning in daylight.

Nice graphic photograph. Wild make a good product photograph. The red napkin woods well here. I'd like a square crop.

I can see what Mandy is referring to, around 11 o'clock to 3 o'clock on the cup, not sure if it's haloing or light reflecting on the saucer :thinking:

Cheers.

Well I've blown it right up in Photoshop and found some haloing around the cup handle and a bit of reflection on the desk to the right of the saucer, so I've cleaned that up

5b7ina.jpg

Here is a quickie of the saucer on its own to show you what I mean about the shape of the raised lip that you can see in the top right quarter of the saucer.

2z69lxl.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, nice composition with the square and circles not seeing any haloing myself just looks like light reflecting off the white cup on the dark surface
and as you say the raised lip of the saucer is what everyone seems to be picking up on
it does look a little soft maybe though that could be my eyes.

The bubbles in the coffee and the biscuit look a little soft and the biscuit could do with being moved round the cup a smudge clockwise.

This could make a very good coffee/cafe product shot.

:)

... interesting dimensions.

I mean it is so one dimensional ... and it works. (y)

Positive - I'm afraid I'd have to echo comments by others about softness and the smudged look on the glass

Time - I like this but again I'm not sure if it's a bit soft also. Compositionally I like it though especially with the Q shape made with the handle of the cup. I wonder if a square crop would give even more emphasis to this.

Thanks to everyone who has had a look and commented. I had another idea for time today, so I'm thinking I may submit two this week.

Waste Time

dcc93s.jpg

Last edited:
Or Waste of Time. Not a criticism, just an alternative title :eek:

Interesting alternative.

Back