weekly 52 : 2014 | MrNicholas | Week 2: Play

Agree increased DoF would help and personally I would prefer a bit more colour in this one, but I guess it's the wrong time of year! :)
I like how everything is vertically straight and lined up through the whole image, no distortion or anything form the lens...what kit did you use?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments, the DOF is subjective but since some many people have said they would like it wider I'll consider that in future.

what kit did you use?

This was taken hand held using my nikon D7000, Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR. I did apply lens correction in PP but the lens has very little distortion to begin with.

Nice one mister "Nick Cow Less". :cow: :vulcan: :wacky:

This is actually really ace. You seem to have a good feel for the night time stuff!

PS: you need to link to here from the main thread, not to flickr! - click the number #45 and copy the link and paste it with your pic in the main thread. :)

Nice one. Lovely colour and good length in the trails.

I might have been tempted to go portrait or wider (if possible) to get Polaris in.

I've gotta ask the white on the horizon. Is that clouds?

Cheers.

PS: you need to link to here from the main thread, not to flickr! - click the number #45 and copy the link and paste it with your pic in the main thread. :)

This link is in my signature, I'll have to make it more obvious. Also thank you, your rock solid tripod helps for shots like this, I need to save up and get me a tripod like that!

Like the star trails/lines (y) not a lover of the blue tree though, sorry :)

Nice one. Lovely colour and good length in the trails.

I might have been tempted to go portrait or wider (if possible) to get Polaris in.

I've gotta ask the white on the horizon. Is that clouds?

Cheers.

Its clouds, yeah. they had a horrible orange glow that I removed and I quite like the how it turned out, gives a odd kind of feel. This was unfortunately as wide as I can go, I've already got my eye on Daddy-o's 10-20mm sigma for the next time I do one of these shots, he doesn't need it for taking pictures of cows at night :p

Portrait is a good idea, I might try that some time. Thanks :D

Two in one week! but I agree - definitely worth sharing. Nice shot but with Phil regarding the tree. I got a 10-20 a few years ago and rate it. In fact the older models are slightly better than the new ones so don't be afraid of getting one second hand. TP is the obvious source in the expensive bit of the forum that I've visited too often in the past.

well done! one day I will finally get my head around this type of shot. I have so far failed miserably to get the time lapse stuff working on my D7000 as expected.
What caused the white area above the horizon?

HI Nick

great star trails image (y) ( tried this once & failed miserably !)....not warming to the blue tree though......

Hi Nick, I like the simplicity of the first line shot. I agree that a greater DOF would help but only a small amount so the whole line of the lit highlighted area was on focus, not the whole lot. If that makes sense.

I love the start trails shot, I've never tried anything like that, wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Odd - I like this good POV and well thought out.
Line - Agree with the 'not keen on the DoF' other wise another nice shot.
Re Shoot - Star Trails, I do love a Star Trail and these are nice and clean with a great lower sky. Only thing I'm not keen on is the blue tree and background behind the tree (y)

This week has been a heavy one with exams etc and so I've gone for a simple macro shot of one of the most addictive things to play with - Bubble wrap. Would love to have more time to spend on this image but physics don't learn itself. o_O

Last edited:
Now Bubble wrap i think that is something all off us spend time playing with when ever the chance arises. As for the image its self i am not keen on the green background and the bubble wrap its self seem to be oof.

I'm glad you told us what it was - I'd never have guessed :LOL:

Nice and bright, love the green

Now you've said, I can see what it is - but probably wouldn;t have otherwise - suppose that makes it abstract - which isn't my strong area!

Lovely greens there, nice even BG, and three bubbles sit very nicely.

Love the colours, I would have liked to have seen the bubble wrap in more focus, but I know that this would be hard to get due to the shallowness of the depth of field when you get close up, it certainly is an abstract though! (y)

Perhaps we can both learn how to do focus stacking when you're home at easter if we have the time? (I will ring you at the weekend, I have some BIG NEWS :cow:)

Hi Nick, first time into your thread, you've got off to a great start.
I won't add anything to the crit already received on line as it would just be repeating what others have said.

Play, I like for the abstract feel of it and the vivid green background but find the oof bright area front right slightly distracting.
Had you flattened this bubble slightly to allow the viewer to see the three in focus bubbles then I feel this would have helped.

Good luck with the physics (y)

Hi Nick, I like the thinking behind the pic and I like the green, but its not really working,
maybe a different angle might help

Have to agree that it's not quite working, and link to theme was hard to get until you explained.

I like the green but the bubble wrap seems to be out of focus or maybe it's just hard to get in focus on.

The bubble wrap works well for the theme (y) sorry though, the lime green background doesn't do it for me :)

I thought it was ice at first and then thought bubble wrap. Great link with the theme. I think the vividness of the background is a little too distracting for me. Maybe a more pastel shade?

The bubble wrap is a bit abstract and probably a little more in need in view.

Bubble wrap is great to play with...not getting much from yours, though. Exams, well, you get a pass then.

Keeps you currentish.

Cheers.

I love the colour and abstract nature of this image, but it doesn't quite do it for me as it stands for Play. Perhaps if someone had been playing with it?!

Back