52 From Baloo 2020

This is stunning, I love the milky effect suits the subjects perfectly.
Thank you Heather it was taken in the early morning mist.

Nice catch up Roger.
I really like the old phone box (y)

Graceful
It really is a graceful scene. I like how it's a limited colour pallet, greys and blues.

Camouflage
Good processing. It's so well camouflaged, it hasn't been taken away yet (there aren't many left anymore).

Snappers choice
Good reflection and low pov. It's a little bright, well maybe not bright, just lacking in contrast for me.

Textures
It's very nice, I especially like the knot in the top left hand corner.

Nice catch up Roger.
I really like the old phone box (y)

Thanks for poping in.
Graceful
It really is a graceful scene. I like how it's a limited colour pallet, greys and blues.

Camouflage
Good processing. It's so well camouflaged, it hasn't been taken away yet (there aren't many left anymore).

Snappers choice
Good reflection and low pov. It's a little bright, well maybe not bright, just lacking in contrast for me.

Textures
It's very nice, I especially like the knot in the top left hand corner.

Thanks Dominic, much appreciate your comments.

Autumn is lovely. Has an impressionistic feel and sense of calm.

Both nice shots - Activity takes me right back to beach fishing with my Dad when I was a nipper :)

Patterns - well spotted.

Activity - lovely backdrop for the shot. If the line is taut, does that mean there is a fish on the end?

Autumn - has a golden glow about it. I agree with Helen's comments.

Hi Roger

Patterns, well found, what caused them, to small for tyres or boots.

Activity, great atmosphere to the image, and movement in the water.

Autumn, some wonderful colours and reflections, very tranquil scene.

Pete

Texture - lovely amount of detail in there, really nice in mono too
Pattern - well spotted and a good use of close up, lovely detail in the sand
Activity - takes me back to my sea fishing days. really well composed and plenty of 'action' in the sea
Autumn - nice warm tones, I like the reflection of the clouds but it might have been nice to see them above as well (bring the horizon down?)

Autumn is lovely. Has an impressionistic feel and sense of calm.

Thanks Helen the impressionistic feel was exactly what I wanted, so for once it worked!
Both nice shots - Activity takes me right back to beach fishing with my Dad when I was a nipper :)

Thank you, never been fishing but I can understand the appeal.
Patterns - well spotted.

Activity - lovely backdrop for the shot. If the line is taut, does that mean there is a fish on the end?

Autumn - has a golden glow about it. I agree with Helen's comments.

Thank you, no idea about the line but no one pulled a fish out the hour or so I was there.
Hi Roger

Patterns, well found, what caused them, to small for tyres or boots.

Activity, great atmosphere to the image, and movement in the water.

Autumn, some wonderful colours and reflections, very tranquil scene.

Pete

Thank you Pete, surprisingly the pattern came from a shoe of some kind I was attracted by how fine the pattern was.
Texture - lovely amount of detail in there, really nice in mono too
Pattern - well spotted and a good use of close up, lovely detail in the sand
Activity - takes me back to my sea fishing days. really well composed and plenty of 'action' in the sea
Autumn - nice warm tones, I like the reflection of the clouds but it might have been nice to see them above as well (bring the horizon down?)

Thank you, especially for the advice, never been confident with landscapes so need all the help I can get.

Activity ;
I'd rather be fishing too! Nice processing Roger.

Autumn ;
Another nicely processed image (y)

Activity ;
I'd rather be fishing too! Nice processing Roger.
Thanks Chris, from what I saw of sea fishing that afternoon, it consists mostly of sitting down chatting to your mates with a couple of beers, and watching the waves crash in,just the sort of activity I could enjoy.:p

from what I saw of sea fishing that afternoon, it consists mostly of sitting down chatting to your mates with a couple of beers, and watching the waves crash in,
That's my idea of heaven too Roger (y)

Activity
I like that. Lovely atmosphere.

Autumn
Lovely reflection, autumnal colours and tones.

Artificial
Good composition and golden colour.

Activity - I like the composition with the line reflecting the angle of the cliff.
Autumn - the cloud reflection and ripples work well - a bit too lemon yellow at the horizon for me.
Artificial - great viewpoint and detail.

Activity
I like that. Lovely atmosphere.

Autumn
Lovely reflection, autumnal colours and tones.

Artificial
Good composition and golden colour.

Thank you for commenting Dominic.
Activity - I like the composition with the line reflecting the angle of the cliff.
Autumn - the cloud reflection and ripples work well - a bit too lemon yellow at the horizon for me.
Artificial - great viewpoint and detail.
Thank you Phil.

Artificial: When I opened the forum this came up in front on me and really made me sit up! Nice composition and lovely tones.
Wet: Looks like the same weather we've had here. Nicely atmospheric and bang on theme,

Yeah that look like a wet subject on wet day in wetville! Nicely done in the conditions!

A catch up on comments from me:
Activity nice composition works well in B&W,
Autumn is a beautiful scene , love the reflections.
Artificial great pov and lots of detail
Wet, very, that looks like a very damp day.

Last edited:
Theres a quote which sums it up I think

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game.
Paul Rodriguez

Some lovely images I've missed over the last few weeks...

Your graceful yacht is very nicely composed, but it looks a little flat to me. I don't think the lighting has done you any favours, and it could do with more contrast for my taste.

I love the pop of purple on your phone box - the organic nature of the plant takeover works beautifully with the formerly red box.

I love your swans - the restricted colour palette just works. Please tell me you're printing this?!

Likewise for texture - the really high contrast is really nice. The very shallow DoF isn't what is have done our tried, but it works very nicely.

Patterns would work nicely for texture as well. Is that a foot print? I really like the lighting on the sand/pebbles. Lovely colours in there as well.

Your B&W fishing activity is fantastic. Looks fairly blustery?! Hope you caught something? The sky and sea look great - and B&W was a good choice for the subject.

The golden glow in autumn might be a bit of an acquired taste. I'm undecided - one to come back to for me - how was this achieved?

Artificial - great view point and composition. The tight framing is very effective.

Wet looks very very well indeed... Nice use of the conditions to meet the brief perfectly.

And I'm not sure I get the topic for topical - is there something happening in the UK for birds of prey Vs game birds? Very much in agreement with you either way. Unspeakable/uneatable comparisons spring to mind... Great detail in the feathers.

And I'm not sure I get the topic for topical - is there something happening in the UK for birds of prey Vs game birds? Very much in agreement with you either way. Unspeakable/uneatable comparisons spring to mind... Great detail in the feathers.
Thank you for the critique much appreciated, heres a link for the topic, it was exasperated by a meeting to specifically allow grouse shooting during corvid.

Hi Roger,

That's some catch up :)
Now let's see...

Graceful - Might just be me (and I can't get into the flickr version to zoom in) but it feels like the harbour wall is sharper than the yacht. Funny to see it towing a powered dingy. (life raft?)
Camouflaged - I like that. The decay and the way nature is overtaking the phonebox is cool. Have you applied a slightly green tone to it?
Snappers Choice - You don't often see the V formation that low.
Texture - I like where you're going with the processing :)
Patterns - Sharp, clear, on theme, but sorry, not for me.
Activity - I've never really understood recreational fishing (if fish were supposed to be eaten, they would walk around a field saying moo). But, a good moody shot there imo.
Autumn - Given the ripples, that's not a long exposure - yet it has the feel of one. Interesting, well taken.
Artificial - Cool close up. Good range of bright and dark.
Wet - It does what it says on the tin.
Topical - Very nicely caught image. And I agree with your sentiments too.

Nice Photo Roger.

Agree with your sentiments, Do not agree with any type of hunting as a sport.

Pete

Sad to see such magnificent birds being killed. Your kite might benefit from a bit more space to fly into.

P.S. your Flickr links don't seem to work.

Lovely shot and understand your sentiments. I live in the middle of a shooting estate... one of the benefits of C-19 - the shoot has been cancelled this year so fewer pheasants ruining my garden :)

Lovely birds - like you, I don't understand why/how people can shoot them. Nice image

Back