7th time down avenue 52 COMPLETED

I agree with Susie about Wall and the bird in flight, both well done. I think something went wrong with your instagram link but it certainly looks like a worn piece of rope

A nice little catch up there. All work well for the themes. I like that worn rope shot, but feel it could have been a bit more central in the frame.

Wall/Walled - Spot on for the theme and nice to be able to find somewhere where the shot is of more than just a corner of the castle.
I also like how you've lined up the path and a couple of the archways

Symmetrical - it doesn't look quite symmetrical to me, but after my shoe horn for this theme, I can't say a word...
Nice action shot.

Worn - Certainly works for the theme. Bummer regarding the lens.
I'd kind've liked to see the worn part of the knot centralised in the bottom of the image maybe.

Hi Michael, another catch-up from me as I've only just got my 52 up to date again after my holiday.

Bent is a great find for the theme; really unusual and it makes you wonder about the force needed to bend it so flat!
Wood - both are interesting images but I'm a sucker for gritty B&W and that first one is perfect with all the tones and textures :clap:
Wall - the castle is a perfect subject with the inner and outer walls and that nice lead in through the fences. It looks well worth a visit.
Symmetrical - a cracking image of a bird in flight, showing off the colourful feathers and great details of the pattern in the wing feathers. I wouldn't have thought of this for symmetrical, so well done.
Worn - sorry to hear about your lens, especially so early in your holiday. This frayed old knot is ideal for the theme and although I'd like to see it higher in the frame, you said it was aimed at Instagram so it was taken and aimed at a different audience.

I hope you're insured so you can get a repair/replacement lens sorted out asap.

Last edited:
Hi Michael, another catch-up from me as I've only just got my 52 up to date again after my holiday.

Bent is a great find for the theme; really unusual and it makes you wonder about the force needed to bend it so flat!
Wood - both are interesting images but I'm a sucker for gritty B&W and that first one is perfect with all the tones and textures :clap:
Wall - the castle is a perfect subject with the inner and outer walls and that nice lead in through the fences. It looks well worth a visit.
Symmetrical - a cracking image of a bird in flight, showing off the colourful feathers and great details of the pattern in the wing feathers. I wouldn't have thought of this for symmetrical, so well done.
Worn - sorry to hear about your lens, especially so early in your holiday. This frayed old knot is ideal for the theme and although I'd like to see it higher in the frame, you said it was aimed at Instagram so it was taken and aimed at a different audience.

I hope you're insured so you can get a repair/replacement lens sorted out asap.

Thanks Andrea for the comments, much appreciated. I am relying on travel insurance to cover some cost of my lens, I think I will get around £150 after excess, hopefully will know in the next few days!

Liking both of them very much Michael, the selective colour is spot on for the theme, a real good B&W conversion to the rest of the image, the colours sure do POP !!! (y)

Remote, a nice atmospheric shot though the mist/haze is a bit overpowering and distracting from the figure a tad, it does sure look a remote place to be on ones own :)

Liking both of them very much Michael, the selective colour is spot on for the theme, a real good B&W conversion to the rest of the image, the colours sure do POP !!! (y)

Remote, a nice atmospheric shot though the mist/haze is a bit overpowering and distracting from the figure a tad, it does sure look a remote place to be on ones own :)

I was a bit annoyed, I'd left my 50-200 lens at home, which I would have preferred for remote, just glad I had a tripod at least! Very leased with how the colours popped in the 1st one.

I don't mind a bit of SC. I'd prefer the yellow lines to be B&W as the colours on the building would really draw the eye.

Now #2, works for me...a lot. Very mysterious, very remote and a little unnerving. I think there is a better crop in there. But as it is it isolates the mysterious subject. I thought B&W but prefer colours. Good show,

Cheers,

I don't mind a bit of SC. I'd prefer the yellow lines to be B&W as the colours on the building would really draw the eye.

Now #2, works for me...a lot. Very mysterious, very remote and a little unnerving. I think there is a better crop in there. But as it is it isolates the mysterious subject. I thought B&W but prefer colours. Good show,

Cheers,

Thanks Andy, Tried b+w on the remote shot, but it lost to much of the umbrella when I was looking at different conversions, the purple was vital as it stopped the outline of the person and umbrella disappearing. As said, wish I had a longer lens with me.

Hi Michael
Colour - A theme where playing with selective colour works :) I thought a bit like Andy about the yellow lines and had a play in PS, but I think you're right keeping them in colour as even desaturated they draw the eye as they are quite bright (at least with a quick play - I'm sure there are things you could so...) So... it's a very effective image :)
Remote - Having been to that very station very recently visiting one of our offices, one thing Chester Station is not is remote!!!!
So you've done a fantastic job in making the image transform this into somewhere that does really look remote. :clap:

Hi Michael
Colour - A theme where playing with selective colour works :) I thought a bit like Andy about the yellow lines and had a play in PS, but I think you're right keeping them in colour as even desaturated they draw the eye as they are quite bright (at least with a quick play - I'm sure there are things you could so...) So... it's a very effective image :)
Remote - Having been to that very station very recently visiting one of our offices, one thing Chester Station is not is remote!!!!
So you've done a fantastic job in making the image transform this into somewhere that does really look remote. :clap:

The lines were fairly fresh I think, knowing how vibrant they were, I just couldn't keep them in b+w, I was looking at them knowing they were yellow and thinking I should bring them back in with the sc, Chester station is surprisingly manic isn't it! I was very pleased when this image fell into place so well.

Some more, and now up to date

Height

height by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Build, sorry to say this is a bit simple,

build by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Juicy, Had 3 to choose from, others are on flickr

juicy #2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Edit, just noticed that strange bit of white, it apears to be a mix of lighting on the apple and pp making it look like this, so going to go with another image I think as I can't seem to make it any better in pp

juicy by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

Height - Interesting take on the theme but spot on. I really like this, both for the execution and the imagery.
Build - Simple perhaps, but it certainly tells the story and works well for the theme.
Juicy - I think I prefer the one labelled as Juicy #2. I can't say why exactly, perhaps it's that the background is white rather than grey? Dunno.

LHS Build image keeps catching my eye, don't know why ... just it's simplicity I suppose. (y)

2nd apple ... fab shadow. (y)

Broad, Grin/smile ... haha lovely ...

Build makes a nice little triptych
Have to say I'm not finding the apple overly juicy but the shadow adds drama in the second
Broad is a good take on the theme, lovely photo

LHS Build image keeps catching my eye, don't know why ... just it's simplicity I suppose. (y)

2nd apple ... fab shadow. (y)

Broad, Grin/smile ... haha lovely ...

Thanks David,

Love it Michael, you've captured a great expression there along with action. Nice fun image :)
B&W suits it too.
I think this is my fav of all the images for Broad that I've seen to date.

Thanks Tim, broad is a favourite of mine from the whole year. Thank you for looking in.

Build makes a nice little triptych
Have to say I'm not finding the apple overly juicy but the shadow adds drama in the second
Broad is a good take on the theme, lovely photo

Hi Chris, thanks for the comments, I had the same thought along the lines of the apple, I do prefer the shadow in 2nd one myself too,
Thank you for looking in:)

That's a lovely image for Broad, Michael! No doubts that they're having a brilliant time and that's a great, natural expression.

Of your other recent images I do really like Colour. I'm not usually a fan of selective colour but that works very well with the little flashes of bright colour on the building and the foreground lines (y)

That's a lovely image for Broad, Michael! No doubts that they're having a brilliant time and that's a great, natural expression.

Of your other recent images I do really like Colour. I'm not usually a fan of selective colour but that works very well with the little flashes of bright colour on the building and the foreground lines (y)

Thank you Andrea, the light that day certainly helped with the colours, and i'm very pleased it worked well.

Now on to rustic, got around 8 pictures on flickr, going for this one as I love the shape in the flames...

fire #5 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Nice and elemental, well exposed flames with a hint of smoke.

I think it works well for the theme Michael.
Nice vivid flames against the strong black background.
I know from experience that flames can be hard to capture.

Nice and elemental, well exposed flames with a hint of smoke.

Very nice colours Michael and liking the detail of the smoke and Deep Blacks, works for me

Of all the shots I like colour, good mono type while keeping the yellow lines and window, it draws the viewer in. Your rustic shot is the best of the lot imo, liking the flame and colours to it, plus nice to see the smoke just wafting about, a well taken shot.

Thank you everyone :)

Back