7th time down avenue 52 COMPLETED

It's my first visit since week 1 so a lot to see :) My favourites so far are the well composed and lit image for Comfort, which has a lovely atmosphere and viewpoint, Hairy for the lovely subject and processing, and the first image for Structure, which has the interesting details of the old broken brickwork and suits your gritty B&W processing. Looking forward to seeing more (y)

Great composition for evolved, I like the contrast between the dark cave and the bright beach. Great light/exposure control!

Hi Michael,

Dark / Power - I was assuming that both of these shots were taken on the same day at a single railway, as they are both of a single track line. but on looking on flickr, no they are on different days. I was wondering which preserved railway used current NR signage. Maybe not though, it is mainline? I know 46100 certainly does a lot of mainline, and those look like WCRC maroon mk1s.
That's a good risp shot of Royal Scot you have there, and in the rain too by the looks of it.

Above - For me, I want something in the sky to give it a focal point, but I get what you're going for is the clouds, so it works for the theme.

Evolve - Good image. It has me wondering how you got the shot, my imagination has you dangling in mid air from the cave roof :)

Hi Michael,

Dark / Power - I was assuming that both of these shots were taken on the same day at a single railway, as they are both of a single track line. but on looking on flickr, no they are on different days. I was wondering which preserved railway used current NR signage. Maybe not though, it is mainline? I know 46100 certainly does a lot of mainline, and those look like WCRC maroon mk1s.
That's a good risp shot of Royal Scot you have there, and in the rain too by the looks of it.

Above - For me, I want something in the sky to give it a focal point, but I get what you're going for is the clouds, so it works for the theme.

Evolve - Good image. It has me wondering how you got the shot, my imagination has you dangling in mid air from the cave roof :)

Hi Tim, the sign for dark was mainline, it was at burton on trent sation, Royal Scot was on the north yorkshire moors railway, rain indeed, I got soaked waiting for that picture!

I just looked again at my evolved shot, I see what you mean, it doesn't seem like I am touching the ground, hadn't noticed that. I think I was tiptoeing/leaning onpart of it to get the angle. Forgotten already !

Yes, he certainly holds on to that jet ski. Great action shot!

Liking Smoke Michael, funny how it is flowing forward but bang on theme and a nice shot too :)

cheers Dave, yes especially as the loco was going backwards too :)

Nice shot. Well controlled exposure not to get the smoke too bright, it looks like it was a pretty bright day.

Lighting was harsh, I managed to get down to this end of the platform, it was even more harsh towards the middle. Thanks for looking in.

Hi Michael ... really liking your cave shot, as others have said ... nice compo and inside cave detail. (y)

The Royal Scott shot for Power is a beaut! and would work well for Smoke. :exit:

Pretty impressive getting a shot of the flying moneypit that isn't full of spectators.
Have you had a play with tones? I bet you could bring the sky back and perhaps darken the loco a bit too.
(Or is it my screen playing tricks again?)

Filled with envy, only seen FS in museum, well on theme.

This was only the 2nd time I have managed it, still waiting for a nice open countryside shot for it.

Hi Michael ... really liking your cave shot, as others have said ... nice compo and inside cave detail. (y)

The Royal Scott shot for Power is a beaut! and would work well for Smoke. :exit:

Thanks David, it would work well! No trend developing here.....:)

Plenty of billowing Smoke there Michael, well captured for the theme.

Thanks Susie

Pretty impressive getting a shot of the flying moneypit that isn't full of spectators.
Have you had a play with tones? I bet you could bring the sky back and perhaps darken the loco a bit too.
(Or is it my screen playing tricks again?)

Highlights were pulled all the back iirc, it was a tricky one to process, the whole image is a bit on the bright side, taking away some sky detail.

And vivid, shot at the long end of my 150-600, the light looked really nice on it across the road, so siezed the moment!

clumber park #16 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Vivid - I can't think of Clumber Park without thinking of the RAC / NwtworkQ rallies that used to be run through there.
That 150-600 is a damned impressive lens, I wouldn't dream of trying for something like that with my 150-500
Large - I have to agree with Andy about the sky, did you consider a crop perhaps (it would also maybe accentuate the size).

Great idea with the planes. I would maybe have cropped a bit off of the top or bottom. It still works though

Back