weekly aljazzera's 52 week challenge week 52 BUSY added

ah very nice shot, focus is spot on too. Looks a bit noisy on my screen but doesn't spoil the image :clap:

Yip, liking that one. The cradling hand exudes friendship and love. Nice and sharp, where needed and liking the composition.

I wonder what it would look like without the left hand? I'd like the see the whole BG dark, I'm referring to the top left. Hot spots on nails are a minor issue, but as I've said on Summer's thread I'm going to point out any crit, be it major or minor.

:clap:

Cheers.

ah very nice shot, focus is spot on too. Looks a bit noisy on my screen but doesn't spoil the image :clap:

It is noisy has a very high iso

Yip, liking that one. The cradling hand exudes friendship and love. Nice and sharp, where needed and liking the composition.

I wonder what it would look like without the left hand? I'd like the see the whole BG dark, I'm referring to the top left. Hot spots on nails are a minor issue, but as I've said on Summer's thread I'm going to point out any crit, be it major or minor.

:clap:

Cheers.

I dont mind the crit, the top left is the dogs chest, and there is only one hand in the image so without it it would be a picture of the dogs paw ;)

Hi Allan

fab idea for the theme & well taken....mono works great , DOF is good , hot spots I din't notice till ole eagle eye's(andy!) mentioned them but they don't detract from the image for me ...yup , liking it a lot (y)

Hi Allan

that moon moth is simply beautiful , gorgeous colors , not seen one of them before....can I ask where you went to see it please ? For the image...the only crit I can offer would be to crop out the pole holding the chrysalis's & possible lose a little from the lhs, maybe enough to lose the lighter patch lower left...or try to clone that bit out . Other than that I'm liking it lots :clap:

Of your triptych I'mdrawn to the middle image....muted simple tones work really well , lovely detail (y) the 1st image lacks a little light on the lh chysalis & the bottom one makes me think of aliens :LOL:

Lovely work Allan , you've been busy for sure :clap:

Hi Allan

that moon moth is simply beautiful , gorgeous colors , not seen one of them before....can I ask where you went to see it please ? For the image...the only crit I can offer would be to crop out the pole holding the chrysalis's & possible lose a little from the lhs, maybe enough to lose the lighter patch lower left...or try to clone that bit out . Other than that I'm liking it lots :clap:

Of your triptych I'mdrawn to the middle image....muted simple tones work really well , lovely detail (y) the 1st image lacks a little light on the lh chysalis & the bottom one makes me think of aliens :LOL:

Lovely work Allan , you've been busy for sure :clap:

Thanks for the nice comments, Saw it in Chester zoo I am a member so went there this morning for about half an hour. I left the edge of the pole in because you can see the hangers they are on and thought it might look odd to remove it just noticed the lighter patch its a reflection as they are behind glass but will have another go and maybe try and clone it out.

Hi Allan

I agree with Lynne about #1. Looks like a difficult subject to capture in the light, but lovely colours. I too would crop out the bar

The tryptych is fine altho the last one seems to have the better, more even exposure. Also drawn to the top one as presumably the different variety of colour indicates the level of change achieved by the chrysalis

Indian moon moth by allanhowe, on Flickr

have cropped it and cloned out the light area bottom left

just seen this on Chester zoo's website

Found in tropical woodlands across Asia, they are perhaps most famous for their starring role in Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings, as in the book, it was an Indian moon moth that served as the messenger between the characters Gandalf and Gwaihir!

Last edited:
Both crackers. Prefer the sole, gives more narrative. Nice details and composition. Bit noisy, but ISO 800 was unavoidable. Did you do any noise reduction?

Cheers.

Superb high quality single and triptych images. The edit helps but even so I love the subtly of colours you've captured.

Thanks

I prefer the cropped version Allan, a great subject to use for the theme, nice colours on the moth and lighting looks good too.

Thank you

Both crackers. Prefer the sole, gives more narrative. Nice details and composition. Bit noisy, but ISO 800 was unavoidable. Did you do any noise reduction?
Cheers.

Thanks I did do some noise reduction but not sure how well Aperture does it.

Cant agree more with above comments, really like them Allan, very nice (y)

Thanks again

Nice shots Allan. I can't decide which I prefer either. The crop obviously shows more detail but I also like the wider context shot. It might improve it but I bet it would be tricky to lit up the inside to show even more. Good one for natural.

Like them bot. I find them quite unnerving....it has an Alien feel to it :eek:

After another view it's #1. Nice and sharp with nice colours.

Cheers.

Nice shots Allan. I can't decide which I prefer either. The crop obviously shows more detail but I also like the wider context shot. It might improve it but I bet it would be tricky to lit up the inside to show even more. Good one for natural.

thanks

Like them bot. I find them quite unnerving....it has an Alien feel to it :eek:

After another view it's #1. Nice and sharp with nice colours.

Cheers.

exactly what I thought an alien feel, I wanted something natural but didn't look quite right

I agree with Andy - definitely looks alien :) I like the wider crop, nice and sharp too :clap:

Yes, my thoughts exactly! Something alien in there! I like both, although the crop obviously gives more info. Very crisp image.

Hi Allan
Sorry not been able to review lately, personal problems meant a back seat to the forum.

Liquid – I like this with the BG going from blue to grey. All one colour would not have worked as well. The light picking out the edges add a lot to the overall effect. Good choice for this theme
Up – Good clear shot. Even the detail shows well on laptop
Duo – Good composition. My only comment would have been to add a little more to the left to even up the string end fixing. Sorry can’t remember technical term.
Flow – Like this shot a lot. Nice bright surroundings with the wet roads and pavements adding reflection. Light flow not overdone as you see in many shots
Change – Great idea for theme. Triptych works well and agree with Lynne on second.
Natural – Can’t decide, like others, on the crop or full version. Both have merit. Perhaps a bit of torch light to pick out centre. On theme and good as is.

Scruffy is Jane my partners bear He like her was 50 last weekend

Scruffy by allanhowe, on Flickr

Its a grand old age for a bear although he looks battered apparently he is well loved.

lovely shot - aged colours too :clap: is he missing his eyes or are they at the wrong angle?

Hi ya

Love that bear....your choice of pp really suits...I wanna give him a big cuddle cos he looks a bit lonely :)

Great thinking for Spread as well....can't pick a fav....the Duck shot has great colors reflecting in the water & just the right amount of blur in the wings , the Gull shot is beautifully sharpe with some lovely blue sky...just seems to be a couple of dark splodges -one just above the tip of the lh wing & one on the right about 1 inch down on top of the white cloud ?

Both right on theme & very speedily posted..(y)

two wonderful shots there, perfect for theme. Congrats!

Thanks

Allan, that's a great idea for the theme!

Thank you it occurred to me by accident watching some ducks and noticing them occasionally flapping, it then took quite a while to get a couple of usable pics.

Hi ya

Love that bear....your choice of pp really suits...I wanna give him a big cuddle cos he looks a bit lonely :)

Great thinking for Spread as well....can't pick a fav....the Duck shot has great colors reflecting in the water & just the right amount of blur in the wings , the Gull shot is beautifully sharpe with some lovely blue sky...just seems to be a couple of dark splodges -one just above the tip of the lh wing & one on the right about 1 inch down on top of the white cloud ?

Both right on theme & very speedily posted..(y)

Thank you for the nice comments have removed the marks well spotted i didn't notice them

Back