weekly aljazzera's 52 week challenge week 52 BUSY added

lol, I love the colours though, I can tell that they're proper northern bricks too :)

Hi Allan,

Pack - I actually prefer the first version even if it is a little dark, because you can tell the red and the blacks apart. I can relate to WB problems and having to resort to B&W, so I won't ask to see a colour version!

Art - Tough choice. #1 looks a little dark to me again, but it is certainly on theme. #2 is funny and I like the colours. The bricks not being straight has already been mentioned.

Hi Allan,
#1 for pack gets my vote down to the definition between the suits of the cards, it is a little dark as mentioned but other than that its bang on theme so (y)
I don't know if more could have been made with the composition, did you try any other configurations?

Art, as with these weekly themes, it is all down to individual interpretation and as such, the pencils say more art to me than the bricks. As with the playing cards, there are ultimately endless configurations on composition. I think almost an abstract with the focus on the pencils lead hardness figures would work but as said all down to interpretation ;)
Lovely colour tones in the bricks/stone, lots of detail too so (y) for that one too.

Hi Allan :)

Pack - All crit mentioned, I'd like a combo of the cards in 2 and background in one... don't ask for much do we :LOL:

Art - Liking the pencil shot, nicely lined up, if all the pencils were the same I would prefer the lettering in focus, but as they are not, I like the DOF as it is :)

Love the colours of the bricks !!!! Have you got a shot of them level ?? as interested to compare, thinking it works fine as is

last attempt been trying all week to get this not worked as well as it could have done

art by allanhowe, on Flickr

with apologies to Michelangelo Buonarroti

Hi Allan,

Pack, oh I can't decide! I prefer the contrast in number two but the table detail in number one:bonk: My OCD would have had me there with a long ruler straightening them:eek: :nuts:

Art, the pencils are a good idea, I agree with others about all the letters and numbers being in focus but I see why you focused on the word artist.
Love the detail in the bricks, I'd save that for the future as a texture overlay, minus the graffiti though!

Number three is really good, it's just a little grey to me.

Hi Allan, catching up - slowly!

Age; wow, I think he needs hospitalising! Lovely shot.

Spread, the duck would get my vote as there's more of interest going on.

Together, the shadow shot is a great idea, very nicely executed. Th dogs works well too, but it doesn't look much like they want to be together!

Pack; well someone had to do a pack of cards, and you did it extremely well. Perfect DoF IMHO :)

Art; great take on the theme, nicely shot, and I'm glad you went for B&W as it works very well. The graffiti one is good too, but hardly art!!!!!

I like the hands a lot; great idea and nicely posed.

Last edited:
Many apologies for my absence over the last few months....catching up is a nightmare !

Pack - I prefer your 2nd image of the pack of cards, nicer contrast. The diminishing focus is a nice effect and works well as does monchrome.

Art - Not convinced that 'Death' in the form of graffiti represents art but it's a very subjective thing. I think you recreation of 'The Last Judgement' has been very well executed. It couldn't have been easy and your patience has paid off. Bang on theme. Very nice tones.

Colours - Autumnal leaves always make for lovely colours. I prefer your second image of the tunnel of trees. Good choice of depth of field. Nice work.

Hi Allan

catch up time for me again , sorry to have a missed a few weeks from you :crying:

ART....think I prefer the pencils though my OCD is going nuts cos I can't work out if they are very slightly on the squiff ? Good focu on the words to tie in to theme as well & nicely processed though mister (y)
Bricks don't do much for me I'm afraid though I can see where you're coming from

The hands shot...what a fab idea ....think it just needs( for me anyway) slightly grittier processing , possibly , I think...maybe :thinking:

Color.....uh oh...great minds n all that....we got pretty similar images
mister....so I'll have to say , love them both :D The range of colors in the Forest shot is great,.....even a smidge of blue sky & love the color in the leaf..stands out really well from the bg...good work mister (y):clap:

Hi Allan, it has to be number one for me; fantastic colours!

Many apologies for my absence over the last few months....catching up is a nightmare !

Pack - I prefer your 2nd image of the pack of cards, nicer contrast. The diminishing focus is a nice effect and works well as does monchrome.

Art - Not convinced that 'Death' in the form of graffiti represents art but it's a very subjective thing. I think you recreation of 'The Last Judgement' has been very well executed. It couldn't have been easy and your patience has paid off. Bang on theme. Very nice tones.

Colours - Autumnal leaves always make for lovely colours. I prefer your second image of the tunnel of trees. Good choice of depth of field. Nice work.

Thanks for the comments no need to apologise I understand you are away a lot

Hi Allan

catch up time for me again , sorry to have a missed a few weeks from you :crying:

ART....think I prefer the pencils though my OCD is going nuts cos I can't work out if they are very slightly on the squiff ? Good focu on the words to tie in to theme as well & nicely processed though mister (y)
Bricks don't do much for me I'm afraid though I can see where you're coming from

The hands shot...what a fab idea ....think it just needs( for me anyway) slightly grittier processing , possibly , I think...maybe :thinking:

Color.....uh oh...great minds n all that....we got pretty similar images
mister....so I'll have to say , love them both :D The range of colors in the Forest shot is great,.....even a smidge of blue sky & love the color in the leaf..stands out really well from the bg...good work mister (y):clap:

Thanks I know what you meen about the straightness its me I'm very un OCD or sloppy as it's better known, The hands shot you are right about it could be more gritty, I couldn't get it right need to look at getting a proper flash or something not really sure what I need.

Hi Allan, it has to be number one for me; fantastic colours!

Thanks

I like them both, nice bold colours in number 1, and I really like the composition of number 2.

Thank you

Hi Allan, I love the simplicity of number one but two wins me over, the beautiful colour in the trees against the blue sky (y)

Thank you

Hi Allan

Art -Pencil shot is good idea and on theme. Others have commented on the focus and I think that I would have gone for the letters indicating the hardness/softmness of the leads as that means more art to me than the word 'artist'

Nice shot of bricks but does not fit the theme for me.

The hands shot is terrific - just the greyness has been mentioned and you have acknowledged that, but seriously nice (y)

Colour - #1 for me - like the composition and the colours are great. The more i look at it the more colours i see. As Peter says, the wet stone helps a lot.

#2 is very well composed and has good range of colour and tones. You have captured the avenue of trees very well.

contrary as ever I prefer no.1 it looks a lil over saturated on my screen but I do like it. No.2 is a great shot but no.1 just swings it for me :clap:

Hi, there, Art is a cracker. Loving the positioning of the hands, very fluid. Not sure if I can see some heavy noise inside the left side hand :thinking:

I'd like to see a bit more contrast...tried in PS but lost a lot of detail inside the left side hand.

Colour, liking the simplicity of this one.

Cheers.

Shadow by allanhowe, on Flickr

It was taken on my iphone so i know its blown out noisy etc but I have had no other idea or the light I needed, I dont have a flash or any kind of studio lighting and this will have to do. I was working this morning and noticed how long the shadow was. The only camera I had was the phone, take it or leave it after the weekend I don't really care.

it could also pass as a self portrait.

Last edited:
Hi Allan - really good shot for theme and on an iphone to boot.

I am not sure about the bit sticking out at top right of shadow but good details and brought to mind immediately the shape and lattice work of a church window with a stained glass figure(y)

Hiope that this weekend is better for you. :)

Good self portrait :D

Hi Allan, I really like this one; simple but effective. I like the definition in the shadow and the way your shadow is framed by the ones of the trees. Agree with Alan about the bit sticking out top right (your phone?), which is a bit distracting, but thats the only crit I have :)

'Ello, nice one and well executed. Nice long shadow which really sets the photograph off. Nice framing and decent contrast. Is that your phone sticking up or or our just pleased to see me....:coat:

Cheers.

Oh come on Andy, when has anyone ever been pleased to see you? Well, other than the Nikon salesman that is!!!!

Just joking; I'm always pleased to see you :) Reminds me I don't have so much to complain about after all!!!!!!!

Is that "cough cough" as in "look out guys, be respectful, superior officer present"?

I'm guessing not!

Hi Allan - really good shot for theme and on an iphone to boot.

I am not sure about the bit sticking out at top right of shadow but good details and brought to mind immediately the shape and lattice work of a church window with a stained glass figure(y)

Hiope that this weekend is better for you. :)

Good self portrait :D

Hi Allan, I really like this one; simple but effective. I like the definition in the shadow and the way your shadow is framed by the ones of the trees. Agree with Alan about the bit sticking out top right (your phone?), which is a bit distracting, but thats the only crit I have :)

'Ello, nice one and well executed. Nice long shadow which really sets the photograph off. Nice framing and decent contrast. Is that your phone sticking up or or our just pleased to see me....:coat:

Cheers.

The bit sticking out is a collar of a jacket I could have taken it out but It wouldn't have given you some much needed practice at schoolboy humour.

Are you sure you took that this week. I don't remember seeing any Sun :LOL: Definitely hits the theme and taking it early in the day making the shadow elongated helps make the image.

just ignore them hon, I think it looks great :p

but yeah, where did you find sun? I had to use the moon :LOL:

and why won't you care after this weekend? You're not giving up so close to the end surely??

Are you sure you took that this week. I don't remember seeing any Sun :LOL: Definitely hits the theme and taking it early in the day making the shadow elongated helps make the image.

Its been sunny for a couple of days here freezing but sunny

just ignore them hon, I think it looks great :p

but yeah, where did you find sun? I had to use the moon :LOL:

and why won't you care after this weekend? You're not giving up so close to the end surely??

I'm not giving up, just a bit fed up at the weekend. Oh and the comments didn't bother me i took them in the spirit they were meant i'm sure.

Great shot that, very good for a phone pic. B+w was a good treatment.

Thanks

Art - #1 is plainly on theme but in a way prefer #2 for the brick colour and the simple message interpreted as graffitti
Colour - 2 powerful images. Simple leaf on ground with little colour variation and the forest with a multitude of various colours that autumn brings.
Shadow - Like the elongated effect but the bit sticking out of the shoulder is a bit distracting

yeah I knew that - had my tongue in my cheek :)

Hi

I like the shadow shot - more or less what I was thinking of an' all but as yet I haven't got round to it! I'm also stuck for glow but yours has given me an idea. Nice and colourful that. I suppose you used a wide aperture to get the dof like that with just the middle object in focus.

glow - I like it, tho would the far left one have been better in the middle? It seems to have more colour in its lights :)

I really like that Allan; it's difficult to fault!

I'm amazed at relatively shallow DoF you got using f22, but it works beautifully :)

Back