Alsjazzeras 2016 TP 52 WEEK 52 CELEBRATE/CELEBRATION ADDED

Oh....back when my granny was a lad the church scared the living. .. **** out if ppl going to he'll for eating parsnips on a Tuesday. ...and what better way than through large pieces of stonework... great detail as said... does it run around the corner? And do I take it it was further up the wall hence the slight angle?

Personal ... fine minimalism, top take. (y)

Effort ... incredible detail of strange goings on, but you should have shown the man carving it.

only joking.

Allan, I am a sucker for foot prints in the sand, very personal.

good idea and different. Plenty of detail and framing. well worth all their effort

Last edited:
Hi Allan, personal is a very nice capture - classic take but well done and it's classic for a reason (it works). Nice lighting and processing.

Effort is well captured - again, good use of natural light to get this image to pop... you can really see the detail in it.

Good pair of images :)

Effort works for me lovely details and lighting.

I love looking at details like this and hand carved wood somehow modern machine carved stuff just doesn't have the same wow factor

Hi Allan, thanks for dropping into my thread last week and now I'm up to date I'm here for a first visit to yours. I've had a look through your whole thread and picked out a few favourites:

Old - off to a strong start with this one! Excellent choice of subject, well lit to pick out the textures of the body and the metal, and I do like the graduated background.
Metal - again, beautifully lit to bring out the hard textures and angles of the punches. Sharp image of an interesting subject.
Abandoned - a striking image of an eye-catching sculpture, and an interesting back story. At 60ft tall it must be an imposing sight. I really like the B&W processing and dramatic sky.
Oscar - so sorry to read this. It's heartbreaking to lose them and to have to make that decision, but that's a cracking photo and he clearly had a great life with you. The jaunty cocked ear and bright eyes speak for themselves.
Living World - I would be chuffed if I had taken that image; perfect focus and DOF to isolate the colourful bird from the background.
Spiky - I like both of those against the clean white background, but - possibly because I chose one for my Spiky too - I'll pump for the teasel as the B&W really brings out the sharp textures.
Personal - a really good idea. I struggled with this theme too and wish I'd thought of this! :) It gives a real sense of being alone with one's thoughts, which strongly suggests personal space (y)

I've enjoyed your thread and will be aiming to keep up to date from now on!

Last edited:
Like that Allan, good response to the theme, nicely done

Nice one Allan ... not as old as the wheel but certainly older than slice bread. Fantastic old props in super clean modern reflectiveness.

Artificial - great picture nothing more to add to what others have said.
Personal - what a lovely place to get some personal space and the picture certainly gives the impression of being alone
Effort - a lot going on in that carving definitely fits the theme and good sharp details.
Technology - nice choice I like the reflection

Techno. I like it, lite to show great details.

Gaz

Old technology maybe but spot on for theme. Like the composition, nicely sharp and I do like the rough-edged frame. :clap:

Technology, a bit tight in the frame, especially at the top and I'd like to see the full reflection at the bottom, but a nice twist to the theme. B&B works well and I've used the frame before and like it.

Cheers.

Ha Ha brilliant I love that take as Andy says a little tightly cropped but very clever

Really liking that Allan.
All tech was state of the art once, right?

Like that Allan, good response to the theme, nicely done

thanks

Nice one Allan ... not as old as the wheel but certainly older than slice bread. Fantastic old props in super clean modern reflectiveness.

thanks d00d

Very nice Allan. Good play with wireless irons (y)

Beautifully clean and sharp.

thank you

Very nicely done Allan, you've really captured the texture in the irons, super sharp, and a perfect black background :clap:

thanks Susie

Very good Allan, Nice shot, well lit and nice reflections.

thanks

Artificial - great picture nothing more to add to what others have said.
Personal - what a lovely place to get some personal space and the picture certainly gives the impression of being alone
Effort - a lot going on in that carving definitely fits the theme and good sharp details.
Technology - nice choice I like the reflection

thanks for looking in

Techno. I like it, lite to show great details.

Gaz

thanks

Old technology maybe but spot on for theme. Like the composition, nicely sharp and I do like the rough-edged frame. :clap:

i like a rough edged frame too ;)

Technology, a bit tight in the frame, especially at the top and I'd like to see the full reflection at the bottom, but a nice twist to the theme. B&B works well and I've used the frame before and like it.

Cheers.

it is a little tighter than i would like, but composing 2 objects was quite difficult i found

If they are the latest thing I must get my wife one for her birthday:D.
Nicely taken.

I am sure she would appreciate it

Ha Ha brilliant I love that take as Andy says a little tightly cropped but very clever

thanks

Really liking that Allan.
All tech was state of the art once, right?

victorian technology, the industrial revolution at its height I suppose

Nice job, seemed to be used a lot for door stops these days

they do indeed, they are quite heavy, surprisingly so, thanks for looking in

Nope. Haven't a clue what those are for technology. I had to go and ask Mrs Pjm1 and she said they would be perfect for hitting me round the head with. Not sure if that's more technologically advanced than a club, but anyway...

Nice capture and some good textures there. It's possible that even harder and more acute angled lighting might create a bit more depth to the pockmarked metal, but I think what you've achieved is very good. Reflection is nice too. Good job!

Nope. Haven't a clue what those are for technology. I had to go and ask Mrs Pjm1 and she said they would be perfect for hitting me round the head with. Not sure if that's more technologically advanced than a club, but anyway...

Nice capture and some good textures there. It's possible that even harder and more acute angled lighting might create a bit more depth to the pockmarked metal, but I think what you've achieved is very good. Reflection is nice too. Good job!

Thanks Paul, the light was just light from the window I was going to get the flashes out but decided there was enough light to work with, had to lighten the reflection in PS though as although they where there, they were a little dark

Technology - cool image and idea. Nice and sharp and well lit too.

Artificial - Lovely picture! The statue is an interesting subject and I like how there’s a tiny man in the distance echoing what the statue is doing. :)

Personal - Nice shot! Looks like an inspirational poster or something like that!

Effort - Good take on the theme, and you’ve got it really straight, which is something I have trouble with, even in post. :p

Technology - Loving the wireless old tech! Haha. :) Nice b&w rendition and I like the border!

You brought out wonderful textures in technology - I might have preferred a bit morre space around them, but nice take on the theme :)

A bit more space i can only agree with, thanks for looking in

Technology - cool image and idea. Nice and sharp and well lit too.

thanks

Artificial - Lovely picture! The statue is an interesting subject and I like how there’s a tiny man in the distance echoing what the statue is doing. :)

Personal - Nice shot! Looks like an inspirational poster or something like that!

Effort - Good take on the theme, and you’ve got it really straight, which is something I have trouble with, even in post. :p

Technology - Loving the wireless old tech! Haha. :) Nice b&w rendition and I like the border!

The tiny man in the distance is another statue, there are lots of them on the beach.

Thank you for the nice comments

Hi Allan, have to take your word for it that it's horizontal ;) Looks good though and I like the film look and stark mono. We're nearly at next week anyway :)
Plenty of horizontal leaves I feel and that film look is perhaps because it was shot on film, nearly next theme indeed

Some weeks work out better than others don't they ....it fits the theme and well done that you did it on film.

To be honest Susie I am close to quitting, not really putting in any effort to it

It would be a shame if it were shot on film and had the "digital look" :)

Now thats something to aim for

I really like the film look Allan, it's spot on for the subject.

Thank you

Hi Allan ....I'm not surprised to read the above because you've always been so enthusiastic before. It would be a shame if you gave up, I for one would miss seeing you here. Having said that I do truly believe life is much too short to waste doing things you're not interested in. I hope it's only a temporary blip and you get re-inspired very soon.

TBH I'd say more vertical than horizontal but what's a "plane" between friends? Eh?

To be honest Susie I am close to quitting, not really putting in any effort to it
TBH I think we all go that stage Al. I hope yo find the inspiration to hang in there though.
It would be a shame if it were shot on film and had the "digital look" :)
Absolutely!

Those leaves are definitely horizontal - and the bright light on them helps them stand out from what could have been a busy background. I do hope you find the inspiration to stick with it. A lot of your images are very memorable - the footsteps, head in the clouds, starfish - like Susie I'd very much miss your contributions.

Back