weekly alsjazzeras TP52 2015 week 52 CHRISTMAS added FINISHED

Hiya Alan, :wave:

Medicine:

I like that you've tried to tell a story, it does look a little bit "staged" to me though (sorry).

Mono suits the subject IMO and there's lots of detail in the skin which I like, I'm not usually a fan of low contrast B&W but I'm guessing that this is part of your story? - a darkened room, an overdose? - so of course that's just my preferences spoiling my enjoyment of your image. Perhaps some local dodging on the pills would help it to work even better?

Cheers,

B.

PS. There's also a severe lack of cows which is never a good thing in my opinion....:cow: :eek:

Ooooh Medicine...now that's a dark image (and I don't mean exposure-wise.
Agree with the comments about the relaxed hand though :)

Yes but you have tried to sack her before - but no one else would live with weird toys, walk the plank, allow sharp objects near her etc :) I would keep her on if I were you - at least until the end of the 52 :)

Thats a fair comment, perhaps I best re employ her, nice of you to look in (y)

Hiya Alan, :wave:

Medicine:

I like that you've tried to tell a story, it does look a little bit "staged" to me though (sorry).

Mono suits the subject IMO and there's lots of detail in the skin which I like, I'm not usually a fan of low contrast B&W but I'm guessing that this is part of your story? - a darkened room, an overdose? - so of course that's just my preferences spoiling my enjoyment of your image. Perhaps some local dodging on the pills would help it to work even better?

Cheers,

B.

PS. There's also a severe lack of cows which is never a good thing in my opinion....:cow: :eek:

"Staged" you may well have a point, but actually killing her is not an option,........... well I say that :thinking:

Will try harder next week for some cows :p

Ooooh Medicine...now that's a dark image (and I don't mean exposure-wise.
Agree with the comments about the relaxed hand though :)

Thanks, Fair point, though I am amazed how many overdose victims people have seen :eek: or do you all watch too much television

Yes I agree .... the hand could be more relaxed but good B&W and lighting. The processing (I think) makes it look like a scene from an old B Movie.

Yes I agree .... the hand could be more relaxed but good B&W and lighting. The processing (I think) makes it look like a scene from an old B Movie.

Thanks, the hand thing, must try harder :arghh:

Hi Allan, a bit of a catch-up from me as I've missed a couple of weeks.

Entertain - an unusual idea and a great perspective. Suits B&W too.
Spiral - a simple idea, really well executed. Great lighting to isolate the screw from the background and define its shape and textures.
Silhouette - good choice of subject that works well, and lots of detail.
Animal - wonderful shot! Great framing, colours and details of a beautiful bird. Good luck with your project (y)
Medicine - a dark take of the theme, again well executed. I think that slightly open, curled fingers would look better, but that point has already been done to death (ha!) and everything else is spot on. A dark, moody, atmospheric scene.

Hey Allan :)

A quick catch up from me ...

Entertain - Ooooo what a well thought shot, really like the overhead look and the minimalist offerings (y)

Spiral - Great lighting and a real good background, the detail is real good too :)

Silhouette - Love this one, great high key image, good whites, great detail and the curve of the fern leaf works well for me too :)

Animal - May be a cheat but a real good capture, nice sharp eyes and beak and the background very complimentary :clap:

Medical - Another well set up shot, and a good take on the theme, i'd prefer the tabs not quite so bright to keep the image macabre, but still a nice image :)

Nice dramatic sky, a little noisy, though.

You've really captured the scale of the sea and this does emphasise the proverb you've chosen.

Cheers.

Hi Allan. I'm not familiar with that particular proverb but the image sits well within it. Shame the subjects aren't a bot more prominent but then I suppose that will spoil the sense of space.

Nice dramatic sky, a little noisy, though.

You've really captured the scale of the sea and this does emphasise the proverb you've chosen.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, I had to mess with the sky to get any kind of definition to it, the downside is the noise

Hi Allan. I'm not familiar with that particular proverb but the image sits well within it. Shame the subjects aren't a bot more prominent but then I suppose that will spoil the sense of space.

I wasn't familiar with the proverb either to be honest I found the quote after the photo, I knew I could make something fit :exit:

Isn't it ... No matter how big the sea may be, sometimes two ships meet ?

Very nice shot Allan, and nice B&W conversion ... silver efex?

Isn't it ... No matter how big the sea may be, sometimes two ships meet ?

Very nice shot Allan, and nice B&W conversion ... silver efex?

Thats what the title I put on it says :thinking:

Its not B+W either, the colours are slightly muted though

Hi Allan,
Just doing a catch up on you last few shots...

Broken: Now that is a beautiful shot. A fantastic image in its own right and spot on theme too (y)
Entertain: Another cracking shot. No crit from me :)
Spiral: Perfect photo for the theme and great lighting. Maybe a touch distracted by the offset negative space around the bit.
Silhouette: Very nice. Maybe a touch too much white at the top for me if I was being uber fussy!
Animal: Beautiful sharp and detailed shot. Great photo.
Medicine: Good interpretation for the theme. I echo others comments re the hand.
Proverb: I too like the scale you have portrayed. I agree re the noise in the clouds. Tricky to reduce without reducing the definition in the clouds.

Cheers,
Lee

Proverb is a work of art and I'd hang that on my wall any day. I don't know where to start really but let me mention the juxtaposed textures, the limited pallet, the balance and scale and use of negative space... Wow! :clap:

Superb.

B. :cow:

Hi Allan,
Just doing a catch up on you last few shots...

Broken: Now that is a beautiful shot. A fantastic image in its own right and spot on theme too (y)
Entertain: Another cracking shot. No crit from me :)
Spiral: Perfect photo for the theme and great lighting. Maybe a touch distracted by the offset negative space around the bit.
Silhouette: Very nice. Maybe a touch too much white at the top for me if I was being uber fussy!
Animal: Beautiful sharp and detailed shot. Great photo.
Medicine: Good interpretation for the theme. I echo others comments re the hand.
Proverb: I too like the scale you have portrayed. I agree re the noise in the clouds. Tricky to reduce without reducing the definition in the clouds.

Cheers,
Lee

Thanks for the catch up
Proverb is a work of art and I'd hang that on my wall any day. I don't know where to start really but let me mention the juxtaposed textures, the limited pallet, the balance and scale and use of negative space... Wow! :clap:

Superb.

B. :cow:

Thanks Brian, thats very nice of you to say

Last edited:
Ha! I had a similar idea but you beat me to it. Harder than it Looks, Im seeing high production values here, and white on white is something I have struggled to satisfy myself with so top marks for that, I'm a bit put off by the cropped quill.... Composition is such an "eye of the beholder" thing Though isn't it. Any chance of a how to?

Thanks Brian, the best results I have ever had have been in natural light this was taken the same way, no lighting just bright sunlight.
The bottom of the feather is cropped because its standing upright in a blob of blutack (other products are available) with a white card behind it, other than that I gave it a little exposure compensation about +2,
but have a play its not an exact science. In PP increasing the whites, contrast etc as much as you can without losing definition of the object, which is the tricky bit.
Using flash is possible but very tricky, you tend to get shadows unless of course you have enough flash guns to cover all angles.

Hope that is of some help, as you can tell I wont be writing any books on the matter anytime soon :LOL:

Thanks Brian, the best results I have ever had have been in natural light this was taken the same way, no lighting just bright sunlight.
The bottom of the feather is cropped because its standing upright in a blob of blutack (other products are available) with a white card behind it, other than that I gave it a little exposure compensation about +2,
but have a play its not an exact science. In PP increasing the whites, contrast etc as much as you can without losing definition of the object, which is the tricky bit.
Using flash is possible but very tricky, you tend to get shadows unless of course you have enough flash guns to cover all angles.

Hope that is of some help, as you can tell I wont be writing any books on the matter anytime soon :LOL:

Many thanks for this, I think I will get out of my comfort zone and give it a go - isn't that what the '52 is all about? - when I have tried this before I have always tried with flash and ultimately ended up disliking the falloff, I will give it a go with natural light as you suggest. (y)

Hi Allan ...I won't attempt to go back through your thread at the moment but will start from this week :)

Your feather looks excellent on my ipad but loses loads of definition on my computer screen, I think you've done a great job, white on white is so hard to do. I like the choice of subject....not an easy choice and it looks good :)

Proverb - Really like this, a simple clean image big moody sky and empty sea, two boats on the dead straight horizon was a good spot (y)

Pale - See what you mean about a theme going on here, another great image like the fern type image, lovely clean whites again and real good detail, nopthing to moan about here mate :)

Hi Allan. Like the white on white for Pale; seems a popular choice for submissions so I'll keep that going. The feather really has come out surprisingly well - lots of detail which I thought would be lost.

Nice detail there, Allan, especially around the edges. I'd prefer to see the whole feather and I can see some slightly darker patches on the feather.

That said, I do like it.

Cheers.

Hi Allan ...I won't attempt to go back through your thread at the moment but will start from this week :)

Your feather looks excellent on my ipad but loses loads of definition on my computer screen, I think you've done a great job, white on white is so hard to do. I like the choice of subject....not an easy choice and it looks good :)

Thanks Susie

Proverb - Really like this, a simple clean image big moody sky and empty sea, two boats on the dead straight horizon was a good spot (y)

Pale - See what you mean about a theme going on here, another great image like the fern type image, lovely clean whites again and real good detail, nopthing to moan about here mate :)

Thank you

Hi Allan. Like the white on white for Pale; seems a popular choice for submissions so I'll keep that going. The feather really has come out surprisingly well - lots of detail which I thought would be lost.

Thanks Carl

Nice detail there, Allan, especially around the edges. I'd prefer to see the whole feather and I can see some slightly darker patches on the feather.

That said, I do like it.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi Allan

... viewed this a number of times and not sure what to think. I like the idea of a white feather on a white BG but don't see the above-mentioned detail on my PC screen.

Pale: I keep looking at this on Flickr and I have a similar thought as d00d - I like the concept but am not seeing the detail I'm afraid.

Hi Allan

... viewed this a number of times and not sure what to think. I like the idea of a white feather on a white BG but don't see the above-mentioned detail on my PC screen.

Pale: I keep looking at this on Flickr and I have a similar thought as d00d - I like the concept but am not seeing the detail I'm afraid.

Fair enough, I can only go on what I see on mine.

Hi Allan, Sorry been a while

Proverb - I really like it, never heard that one before but its bang on theme and the image is great, nice use of thirds and i like the monochrome'y feel. nicely done

pale - Its certainly that, I'm not a fan of white on white too much though, the feather cuts through the white nicely but maybe a tad over exposed for me.

WEEK 30 TEAR(S)

Tears by Allan Howe, on Flickr

Nor really sure about this myself, shot with using the bright light coming through the kitchen window which has produced some harsh shadows which I quite like
otherwise its a little boring I feel

Hi Allan. I like your interpretation and the sprinkling of "tears" on the board. Composition is good but maybe better cropped to reveal the complete onion halves and less of the knife handle - what do you think? The light has caused an element of blown highlights along the knife edge but not enough to detract from a very good image.

Hmmm. If I remember rightly Allan's not bothered about the odd "blown highlight" here and there. :) looks like a shiny sharp knife in strong light to me.

Not (purposely) disagreeing with you here Carl but I like the cut (in framing), onions. @superpippo did a lot of research last year and found in quite common in cookery books and such like to clip edges of plates or bowls or items.

Only thing for me is the tears look a tad 'arranged', rather than having fallen off one's cheek. (y)

Not (purposely) disagreeing with you here Carl but I like the cut (in framing), onions. @superpippo did a lot of research last year and found in quite common in cookery books and such like to clip edges of plates or bowls or items.

Hey! Just grabbed a recipe book and Hey what do you know, not many images where something hasn't been clipped. Learn something new every day.

Hi Allan. I like your interpretation and the sprinkling of "tears" on the board. Composition is good but maybe better cropped to reveal the complete onion halves and less of the knife handle - what do you think? The light has caused an element of blown highlights along the knife edge but not enough to detract from a very good image.
I did get all the onions in the frame but decided to crop after looking at it for a while, it seemed to work for me this way :thinking: as for the highlight I looked at the histogram it is slightly blown but nothing too extreme surprisingly
appreciate the comment they are valid points
Hmmm. If I remember rightly Allan's not bothered about the odd "blown highlight" here and there. :) looks like a shiny sharp knife in strong light to me.

Only thing for me is the tears look a tad 'arranged', rather than having fallen off one's cheek. (y)

Thanks for looking in Graham, I do feel we all obsess a little with perfection which sometimes gets in the way a little of the actual image
I agree about the tears, what can I say, I look at it now and feel there should be less of them

Hows the POTY going for you, not doing it myself this year I found it very bizarre last year

Hi Allan

Far from boring for me mate, I really like the natural light, and product placement is good, but what I like most is the drips and that great shine on the blade, that and having the wood perfectly horizontal finishes it off nicely, nice shot (y)

Thanks DK I am glad you liked it :)

Nice take on the theme, I don't mind the shadows at all - actually I like them! Mono suits it aswell.
Cheers

Hows the POTY going for you, not doing it myself this year I found it very bizarre last year

Not going toooo bad. Entered each month so far and have scored a 2nd and a 4th. :).

Definitely it lacks the camaraderie of the 52, which makes it a bit more of an effort to submit compared to the 52 which sweeps you along with it.

Hope I'll keep going till the end of the year though. Can't be any worse than having to do something each week with the themes that are still left Sarahlee's bag of pain. :D

Back