weekly alsjazzeras TP52 2015 week 52 CHRISTMAS added FINISHED

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
Bit late to the party but anyway....

WEEK 0 PATTERN

Pattern by allanhowe, on Flickr

Chapter house window, Chester cathedral. doesn't really show the scale so I left a little of the convergence of the image in, well quite a lot. I did straighten it out but it sort of lost a bit of impact.

They are (there are 8 of them altogether) about 8 ft by 30 ft and all slightly different not the stained glass you would expect but seriously impressive

1.22am - when do you sleep?

looks better on Flickr as the convergence seems less- just an illusion I guess.
Nice window with limited blue/aubergine/plum tones works well for a photo. two strange repairs to glass on rh panel and a pity about the shadow in bottom part - presumably another building o/s.
Good start - and you weakened oh so quickly - but I must admit that I am missing it too. :confused::facepalm:

1.22am - when do you sleep?

looks better on Flickr as the convergence seems less- just an illusion I guess.
Nice window with limited blue/aubergine/plum tones works well for a photo. two strange repairs to glass on rh panel and a pity about the shadow in bottom part - presumably another building o/s.
Good start - and you weakened oh so quickly - but I must admit that I am missing it too. :confused::facepalm:

Sleeping is giving in :wideyed:o_O, very strange repairs indeed which is a pity and yes the shadows are a building the refectory or ratfactory as we call it

come on in, you know you want to :cautious:

Better late than never Allan and with a great shot like that to start off with I think you can be excused :clap: As you say, the stained glass is a little different from what you expect to find in most churches and cathedrals and I love the pastel shades. The convergence certainly helps to give it perspective and scale and I think I might have been tempted to get even closer/lower to give it even more.

Like it. It looks a bit like an outside photograph of some pillars. On the RH window is it the side of the wall that is obscuring the gold window border.

Cheers.

Better late than never Allan and with a great shot like that to start off with I think you can be excused :clap: As you say, the stained glass is a little different from what you expect to find in most churches and cathedrals and I love the pastel shades. The convergence certainly helps to give it perspective and scale and I think I might have been tempted to get even closer/lower to give it even more.

Thanks Elaine trouble with getting lower is the window is set back there is a ledge and two pillars in front of it
Like it. It looks a bit like an outside photograph of some pillars. On the RH window is it the side of the wall that is obscuring the gold window border.

Cheers.

its a pillar the window is set back you can see the two lumps of decorative stone work about halfway up the window

WEEK 1 BLISS

West doors by allanhowe, on Flickr

I can only apologise for yet another shot taken at work, Bliss is a difficult thing to convey in a picture so I have gone down the religious route, the west doors are the main entrance to any cathedral due to the fact when entering you are facing the high alter.
They are not open except for Sundays and big ceremonies. they were restored 2 years ago not that you can tell.
Not being religious myself I am a devout atheist, but I get for some people that it would be bliss to enter the building in a spiritual sense, to me its just an incredible bit of architecture

Hi Allan, really liking your start to the Photo52! The fragile photo is great. How have you lit each one? Did you shoot them simultaneously?

Welcome back to the challenge, great to see you here again. And it looks like your off to a cracking start with these images wonderful work.

Thanks Mandy

Hi Allan, really liking your start to the Photo52! The fragile photo is great. How have you lit each one? Did you shoot them simultaneously?

Thanks for looking in, two flash guns left hand side slightly behind subject and low, right hand one only slightly to the right in front but a lot higher with a snoot (i think thats the correct term) to keep the flash from the BG
all shot on there own.

Hi Allan a great take on Fragile ....I'm hoping for a nature shot ...but judging by the weather that may not happen .... I really like the three separate images with a different colour in each ... a nice deep black background and lovely lighting and detail in them all.

I'm so pleased that you relented and joined in again :)

Hi Allan a great take on Fragile ....I'm hoping for a nature shot ...but judging by the weather that may not happen .... I really like the three separate images with a different colour in each ... a nice deep black background and lovely lighting and detail in them all.

I'm so pleased that you relented and joined in again :)

Thanks Susie, I found myself looking in all the time, so I thought I might as well carry on

Fragile; Love it. Excellent take on the theme, like the triptych treatment of the different plants. Good composition and exposure too.

Very well done. :clap: (y)

Thanks for looking, glad you liked it

Hi Allan
Bliss - great framing and texture, think the mono really works here
Fragile - Love the triptych and its colours, very original idea to fit in with the theme
;)

Hi there.
Really like the mono processing of your Bliss image. Very nice and a good take on the theme.
The fragile shot is great. Very sharp and well lit. Works very well as a Triptych.

Bliss, well composed, B&W works well, and the interpretation of the theme works well.

Fragile, quality triptych, the angle of the buds compliments each other.

Cheers.

Pattern - An unusual church window but pleasant colours nonetheless. My immediate comment would have been to straighten out the perspective but this doesn't always work as you say

Bliss - Loads of detail in this one and the choice to convert to mono is a good one

Fragile - Nice approach by using a triptych. As Andy says the similar angles help this out. Good blacks and nice lighting on the buds themselves

Just playing catch up with the feedback Allan.
Patten.... That is a particularly stunning window, i'm always impressed by the glasswork in these windows, how they were made and fitted. Nice shot really like this.Fits the theme nicely.
Bliss..... Lovely Door! amazing stonecraft the workmanship in this architecture is fantastic. especially when you consider how the stone was worked... Great Texture in the doors and stonework Nice exposure!
Fragile... Great lighting and razor sharp focus, love that you have got each all at more ot less the same angle, nice work well shot!

Well done and good luck for the rest of TP52!

Bliss, well composed, B&W works well, and the interpretation of the theme works well.

Fragile, quality triptych, the angle of the buds compliments each other.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Pattern - An unusual church window but pleasant colours nonetheless. My immediate comment would have been to straighten out the perspective but this doesn't always work as you say

Bliss - Loads of detail in this one and the choice to convert to mono is a good one

Fragile - Nice approach by using a triptych. As Andy says the similar angles help this out. Good blacks and nice lighting on the buds themselves

Thanks Peter as I said did spend some time straightening it up but it lost a little impact for me, so settled sort of half way

Just playing catch up with the feedback Allan.
Patten.... That is a particularly stunning window, i'm always impressed by the glasswork in these windows, how they were made and fitted. Nice shot really like this.Fits the theme nicely.
Bliss..... Lovely Door! amazing stonecraft the workmanship in this architecture is fantastic. especially when you consider how the stone was worked... Great Texture in the doors and stonework Nice exposure!
Fragile... Great lighting and razor sharp focus, love that you have got each all at more ot less the same angle, nice work well shot!

Well done and good luck for the rest of TP52!

Hi, in a similar situation myself regarding catching up, thanks for the comments

Excellent stuff Allan. I particularly like the church door ... soft yet sharp, silvery grey.

I thing the convergence in pattern works, it gives the sense of looking up at the windows. The soft blues are nice against the dark surround.

Smart idea for bliss, not an obvious connection to me, but bang on theme once it's mentioned. The mono just seems right.

The triptych works well too, and again a nice take on the theme. The black backgrounds are spot on, and the lighting is lovely, particularly on #2 and #3. #1 seems a little flatter to me.

Hey Alan :)

Soooo good to see you come back into the 53 !!!

Pattern - Converging lines aside, as I like the look with these windows, but I'd like to have seen a tad off the LH side to even it up and to clone the intrusions over the stained glass mid way up... real good detail and colours :)

Bliss - Theme wise not so sure but Oooo cracking detail again, and liking the symmetry too :)

Fragile - Very nice, I like the use of 3 different colored buds, all three shots look very well lit, nice and vibrant and topped off with great black backgrounds, no crit from me :clap:

Nice shot for fragile Alan - like how you used 3 different colours. :)

Hi Allan - welcome back and very glad you've decided to join in for another year (y)

Patterns - perfectly on theme and nicely shot. Super black surrounds works well

(OOPS - pressed something and it submitted)

... to focus on the patterns in the windows. I reckon it could stand a tweak extra of saturation personally, but I can also see why you'd want to leave as is. Perhaps even a lifting of highlights too?

Bliss works as a shot - nice mono conversion, even though it doesn't shout bliss to me, I'm less fussed about whether something is perfectly on theme. It's a very solid technical shot (verticals nicely vertical) so well done.

Fragile is a super shot - I love your lighting. Triptych works well for me and the colour contrast is excellent. Hard to think how to improve this image at all: I think you've absolutely nailed it :clap:

Last edited:
I thing the convergence in pattern works, it gives the sense of looking up at the windows. The soft blues are nice against the dark surround.

Smart idea for bliss, not an obvious connection to me, but bang on theme once it's mentioned. The mono just seems right.

The triptych works well too, and again a nice take on the theme. The black backgrounds are spot on, and the lighting is lovely, particularly on #2 and #3. #1 seems a little flatter to me.

Thanks for looking in

Hey Alan :)

Soooo good to see you come back into the 53 !!!

Pattern - Converging lines aside, as I like the look with these windows, but I'd like to have seen a tad off the LH side to even it up and to clone the intrusions over the stained glass mid way up... real good detail and colours :)

Bliss - Theme wise not so sure but Oooo cracking detail again, and liking the symmetry too :)

Fragile - Very nice, I like the use of 3 different colored buds, all three shots look very well lit, nice and vibrant and topped off with great black backgrounds, no crit from me :clap:

Thanks DK no idea how I missed the left hand side. must try harder,
Bliss is on theme cause i say so, ok its a little loose :p

Nice shot for fragile Alan - like how you used 3 different colours. :)

Thanks

Hi Allan - welcome back and very glad you've decided to join in for another year (y)

Patterns - perfectly on theme and nicely shot. Super black surrounds works well

(OOPS - pressed something and it submitted)

... to focus on the patterns in the windows. I reckon it could stand a tweak extra of saturation personally, but I can also see why you'd want to leave as is. Perhaps even a lifting of highlights too?

Bliss works as a shot - nice mono conversion, even though it doesn't shout bliss to me, I'm less fussed about whether something is perfectly on theme. It's a very solid technical shot (verticals nicely vertical) so well done.

Fragile is a super shot - I love your lighting. Triptych works well for me and the colour contrast is excellent. Hard to think how to improve this image at all: I think you've absolutely nailed it :clap:

Thanks Paul, as I said to DK above bliss is a little loose theme wise to be honest i convinced myself it was on theme, you should have been in my head at the time, it was a perfectly reasoned argument :p

Hi Allan, Fantastic quality in all these images, I like them all, but the Beach one has to be my favourite !! Excellent !!

Very moody, I especially like how you've got the clouds and the light house nicely exposed and clear.
You don't notice the wind turbines or ship on the horozon until you look at the full size image (or the people walking on the beach), and I think it's all the better for that.

Wow... I love that Allan. The panoramic crop works so well: it's just tight enough, IMO. Some great high contrast processing and the light rays falling down towards the lighthouse are spot on. Great capture and well executed image :)

Back