weekly Arlandria's 52 Thread :: NEW - Up, Duo, Direction

Thanks for all the comments DK :) Some of my catch-ups are a little bit of a stretch I think, but I'm gonna have to allow it!

Entrance does seem to be quite divisive - but the best art always is, right? :LOL:

Hi Vicky

sorry I've missed a few of your weeks.....:crying:

Fear....hmmm can see where you're coming from & as a mouse I'd be running for cover....posssibly missed the focus on the eye a tad as the nose seems sharper ?

Magical....:clap::clap: for everything from the idea to the mono to the arrangment

Shiny reshoot....unusual subject but well handled , lovely DOF, I'd be tempted to crop the base out & leave 1 & 1/2 globes showing ...but thats my OCD kicking as the base doesn't go evenly across the shot...if that makes any sense ?

Entrance....lovely scene , the path leads you nicely to the gate (y) Just a touch to bright for me , a smidge darker would be spot on for me anyway

Authority....I do like humour in shots & this fits to a tee , B&W works well (y)

Random..... bang on theme , I love that purple , the droplets stand out well & the BG works well...:)

Its all been said above Vicky but another (y) from me on random.
Simply perfect! Love the colour tones, water drops and general all round feel of the photograph. Iain

Hi Vicky,

Direction, you caught that just right, nice composition and it really shows their concentration.

Up, I love the colours:clap: I saw your TP day shot and was going to comment before I realised you had a similar shot for your 52. I do like this wider shot but I would crop it slightly as the trees/ branches either side distract me slightly.

Duo, very nice again. I like the colour, is it PP? My only crit is there's something in the background above the boys head just peeking through his hair, it looks like a little nipple :eek:
I love the face painting on your daughter (I'm guessing she's your daughter as she's your double) very pretty.

I'd like something similar with my kids but the chances of getting them sat still together is slim!

You're definitely on a roll, don't give up yet:)

The colour on Duo is most definitely PP, yep... I am a bit of a fan of the old PP! I hadn't noticed the spot, but now that I know it's there it's driving me nuts. Might have a go at removing it later on.

The kids are my niece and nephew - on my husband's side! She doesn't quite look like herself in that pic, though when my husband, his sister and the kids are out, we do get some funny looks from people trying to work out who's who! :) They are very willing subjects for photos, so I'm very grateful for that.

Arlandria said:
The colour on Duo is most definitely PP, yep... I am a bit of a fan of the old PP! I hadn't noticed the spot, but now that I know it's there it's driving me nuts. Might have a go at removing it later on.

Oops, isn't it frustrating when someone points out something so small, that's all you see after that:bonk:

Arlandria said:
The kids are my niece and nephew - on my husband's side! She doesn't quite look like herself in that pic, though when my husband, his sister and the kids are out, we do get some funny looks from people trying to work out who's who! :)

Oops (again), she definitely looks like you though so I can see why!

Direction, quite like the processing, but I'd like to see colour because dodges are very colourful. Bit too much headroom for me.

Up, I like the composition, contrast between red and blue. If you could have managed to exclude the greenery it would have taken it to a different level.

Duo, not keen on this one. It fits the theme but the light really spoils it. A few hot areas. Sun glasses on would be good.

Cheers.

Damn... your gonna catch up quicker than me

Direction - Somebody there taking it very serious :D Nice fun photo, like the pp you have used

Up - Now that is nice and colorful, the tree tops and top half of the ferris wheel in the background helps add the the feel of up, nice one

Duo - A bit too blown for me too in places I'm afraid, a nice feel to the shot though, looks like they get on well and are well relaxed, like the composition too and your niece's eyes are very nicely caught :)

Direction really works in b+w your other half becoming quite the star

up is excellent nice colour

not much to say about duo now I've read Marshas comment the thing in the bg has taken over

Hello Vicky,

Sorry I've fallen behind with my commenting again!

Entrance - I really like this. The PP works very well. I agree with Alan on the crop though; I think taking a bit off the top of the frame would make it stronger.

Random - Wow, I'm loving the colour of that leaf. It would have been great to see a proper close-up. I think the background is fine but the lighting could have been better. Put that flash unit on your Christmas wish list! ;)

Up - I love the colours, the fact that it's just red and black and the blue sky. I like the wires, too, they go well with the structure of the ferris wheel. I would personally have cropped out the branches in the foreground but this is a minor niggle.

Direction – I like the bond between (I assume) father and son. Well spotted that dad is trying to help with the direction.

Up – Nice and colourful with almost a symmetrical feel to it

Duo – The harsh side lighting hasn't helped but it is a nice family portrait with good eye connection

HI Vicky

Direction - good comp. Expressions on faces well captured, happy and conmcentrated. Partic like the sepia treatment - suits the sublect matter well.

Up- well handle colours and very vibrant feel to it all. probaably could do without the greenery but cropping it out would spoil the balance of the shot.

Duo - good portrait and on theme and expressiojns well caught. Lighting is very harsh tho

Hi Vicky

Direction....really like this image , like the graininess(is that even a word?) & their expressions , possibly crop to just below the curved bar thingy ?

UP.....great striking contrast between the blue & red.....I(y)'d be tempted to crop the greenery out though,give it a cleaner look

Duo.....not for me , I just don't get portraits so not keen on giving crit :crying:

ps....have you seen...

TP 52'S END OF PROJECT MEET

Last edited:
Direction; bang on! I love the eye contact!

Up, wonderful shot, with a great panoramic crop.

Duo, what a lovely portrait! I love the muted tones and DoF. Shame about the blown spots on their foreheads, but I don't really think it detracts from the image.

Back