weekly Bebop's 52 for 2017 thread - week 52 Weather - done

@Dave70D Ha ha! Yes 'You' was a bit of a tricky one. I cropped it to remove a bright strip from the bottom left. I literally had seconds whilst the assistant removed the prices in the duty free for me to get the shot - very accommodating of her. Afterwards I was wishing I'd taken it from the opposite viewpoint :banghead:

All taken on my weekend in Dublin :)

Clever idea for"you". I like the contrast change in the OOF logo.

Plenty of detail in the arch shot though I found the foreground stuff a bit distracting. I like the figure though.
I wish I knew who Charlotte Tilbury was:D

Really like the choice for You, simple but effective.
The Arches ...I really want to straighten that one up, shame about the chap on the step, nice arches though.
Display, it's certainly eye caching, so fine for the theme.
Bend ...that definitely looks very bent, I think a crop would work on this one.

Almost caught up, well done.

Last edited:
Good catch up with some well spotted subjects for the themes, I particularly like the bent lamp post over the bend in the walk-way, well seen.

Hi BeBop,

Yoou - Good spot. Nice use of shallow DoF. Having read your info, it just goes to show what you can get if you ask.

Arch - As Susie says, shame about the chap on the phone. With that in mind I may have tried to crop in and make a feature of teh tops of the arch (or both arches) themselves rather than the full image. Of course you could just say it was a piece of "street" ;)

Display - You're going to have to forgive me not knowing who or what Charlotte Tilbury is...
Very well controlled lighting / exposure. Those bulbs could have so easily blown the image.

Bent - How??? Low flying aircraft perhaps?
Cool spot. Is the chap walking towards you about to be attacked by "The Birds"

It's bang on theme, that bench is definitely wooden :)
And the leading lines do take you to something, the pedestrians walking along the path.

Feels like there is a bit of a green tinge maybe?

It's bang on theme, that bench is definitely wooden :)
And the leading lines do take you to something, the pedestrians walking along the path.

Feels like there is a bit of a green tinge maybe?
Hi Tim - you're right, it is looking a bit green isn't it? I had a play with the white balance and the split tones to try and bring out the golden tone, but I'm not sure I've got it quite right!
Thanks for your last comments too. I have no idea who Charlotte Tilbury is :D and I waited ages for that chap to move out of my frame with the birds - I think he was feeding them. There was a row of the 'bent' lamp posts.

The arch shot.. limited time waiting for my moment due to other half getting fed up of waiting for me whilst I was trying get my '52' shots ha ha! The traffic light ruined it too, but I snapped it and I'll move on to the next topic... falling behind already again!! I'm so impressed with how everyone else keeps up!

Wood - revisited - this is with the white balance as shot (on Auto) I thought I had tweaked the split toning, but in fact I hadn't, it was just the white balance.
171025153520-PA250086.jpg

Another great catchup, I absolutely love the colours of your colour image and also the way the worn steps twist out of the frame... looking up the thread too I like your revisited wood image, the colours are much better, I like the bench and shadow on the left side too :)

Many thanks @Custard and @Dark Knight I nearly didn't post the colours one as it's just another sunset :D but the colours were truly amazing and this is almost straight out of camera. I raised the shadows and upped the saturation to better meet the theme. .

I agree about the wood photo @Dark Knight ... I think I'd looked at it for too long, I couldn't see the wood for the trees :exit:

Hi Bebop.

Walled - I like it. I like the subject. I would have been tempted to perhaps stylise the processing a bit, adding a lot more contrast to add some separation of the abbey and the background, as the colours are very similar.
Worn - It's interesting how many images for this subject have been steps and have been b&w. Mood captured well. An old castle perhaps?
Colourful - Wow, just wow to that colour. How?
Remote - Lovely colours. Nice contrast between the detail of the sea floor close up with the subjects in the distance.
Height - You can see you're high up, but it doesn't scream height at me. Captured in the golden hour I suspect, the light is lovely.

Thanks @LC2 for taking the time to comment. Yes height is a little boring but it was gorgeous light at Raglan Castle complete with moody skies and rainbow. I had a vertigo moment after this :D - it never suits me to hold the camera to my face when I'm high up! Worn was also taken there. I'd planned to do my walking boots, but then spotted these worn steps, so change of plan.

Colourful was almost straight out of camera. I'd been photographing Cattle Egrets coming in to roost with the colours reflecting in their feathers. I turned for a last look at the sea and the colours were glorious... but it was featureless so I thought it might not work. Both this and Remote were taken in Spain. Remote is looking across to Africa.

Walled was Tintern Abbey and minutes earlier the light had been better... I raced to get my camera out of the bag and gain entrance before it died. I barely made it. I'd love to visit there again with more time and an hour or so earlier.

Thanks @Dave70D - I don't know how you all keep up! I think I'm 4 weeks behind again already. 'Catch up' will become my middle name :D

I'm determined to make it to the 52, but it's amazed me how hard it is to keep up.

Week 42 - Symmetrical

I took this shot ages ago with this theme in mind, but I wasn't terribly happy with it and thought I could do better. As the end of the year looms, I'll have to make do!!

edit - I've just realised it's not not quite symmetrical and needs a crop! :whistle:

Week 42 Symmetrical
by Bebop on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Juicy is a nice shot, like that you left the knife in. Rustic, what a great shot of the owl looking rustic on the fence and bit of barb wire :)
Thanks @Dave70D - I'm so impressed with how active you manage to be on here. I wasn't sure about the knife and to be honest I took so long trying to get the light right, the juice was in danger of drying up :)

Symmetrical, now that is a lovely shot for the viewer to look at. Nice pov and good to see some folk in the distance too.
Thanks Dave - I should have posted it on time - which is when I took it. It needs a little crop - funny how you notice these things AFTER you post them up!

Broad fountain pen, love it mate. Great shot,lighting and the BG really sets it off well and I really like the light star on top :plus1::plus1:
Aww thanks. I've struggled to come up with something... should have started my Christmas cards earlier! :D

Background is curtains - pen in one hand, camera in the other and flash wedged between the sofa cushions.

I was just off to visit your thread - lovely rustic one... will go visit now (y)

Juicy looks good to me, I like the composition and the cherry certainly looks juicy

Rustic - lovely capture, I would love to get a shot like that and an excellent photo for the theme

Symmetrical - I might be tempted to crop the sea off the top but its certainly symmetrical

Really like broad, good light, good background, good macro shot (tiniest of nit-picks is the bright spot towards the bottom left)

Thanks @sirch - as I've mentioned, my juicy is a rough hatchet job compared with yours.

Good idea about cropping out the sea.

Broad - I had to take the highlights down - they were a bit OTT. I thought the 'starburst' might be considered an error. I had another shot which was better exposed, but I didn't like the background as much, nor the lighting - I'm not sure I nailed the important focus on the B either. I'll add it here

Wk49_broad-2.jpg

Back