weekly Bebop's 52 for 2017 thread - week 52 Weather - done

Some wonderful pics in your latest catch-up, loving the simpleness of your Colourful, remote and Bold images, real nice vivid colours, straight lines and good detail, my kind of shots (y)
Thanks @Dark Knight. I feel like I'm cramming before an exam trying to catch up in the last few weeks!
Thanks for coaxing us along all year and sorry not to have participated more. It's been an education :)

Background on Broad really makes that shot. Well done for holding it all still to get the fous. Glad someone else uses the furniture to build the shots;)

Many thanks @Manxmaid. I was really struggling to come up with something... until I came to write my Christmas cards :D I'm so relieved to have caught up too - well, all apart from Build. I'm still thinking about that one!

Hi Bebop,

Juicy - Nice details, great rich colours and bang on theme. A slight bit of light fall off top left, but I feel it helps ground the image.
Rustic - Archetypical Owl shot with the head rotated :) Lovely oof background with the light on the subject. Great work.
Symmetrical - I think it works well enough for the theme, and far more of an effort to get something actually symmetrical than I went to ;)
You could try playing with the black and white points to give it more contrast perhaps, as it can often change the feel of images that you start off with thinking 'it needs something, but what'.
Broad - Not something I would have thought of. I prefer the one with the red background. It's the details, such as the slight starburst you've captured. Lovely.

Many thanks @michael23 - it was my curtains! :) I was pleased with how they came out.

@LC2 Thanks for your kind comments. I've just revisited my Symmetrical image. I had a play with the tone curve, and also the white balance. Both of which did improve it.... but then I thought... black and white... and I think I much prefer this one. I've cropped it a little better too I think. I tried chopping off all of the sea and sky, as was also suggested earlier, but it looked a bit odd to me. Thanks for the ideas.

Week 42 Symmetrical-2
by Bebop on Talk Photography

Good work ... I'm enjoying Symmetry - I guess that's Osborne House - colour for me.

Good work ... I'm enjoying Symmetry - I guess that's Osborne House - colour for me.
It is indeed! :) Interesting and thank you. Once I've put an image into black and white, I often find the colour one a bit garish. I think my white balance was a bit off too :rolleyes:

Very good take on the build theme, like the moody looking sky as the builders do the job. Festive, now this is a very good shot, like how it gives the fish eye effect so nicely on theme Bebop :)
Many thanks Dave. I added a severe vignette in post as I'd have like a few more branches behind really, and not the wall!

Build is great, I really like the way the joists are well separated from the sky and that the sky is not blown, nicely framed by the scaffold and ladder.

Festive is very nicely done, loads of detail in the bauble reflection and nicely in focus.

Week 52 Weather

There are 3 versions and I'm now considering this an ongoing project to get something better one day, but for the moment this will have to do.

This was taken this morning with my macro lens. I tried to do it yesterday but the sun came out and dried the windows before I'd finished cleaning them on the inside :D

Week52_Weather-1

Week52_Weather-2

Week52_Weather-3

Last edited:
Build is great, I really like the way the joists are well separated from the sky and that the sky is not blown, nicely framed by the scaffold and ladder.

Festive is very nicely done, loads of detail in the bauble reflection and nicely in focus.
Many thanks Chris. I played with a few different coloured filters in NikEfex to try and bring out the details in the Build photo.

I probably should have tidied the lounge up a bit before taking the bauble photo :D

Thanks for dropping by and all the best with your 2018 52

Weather, don`t you just love all this rain, NOT :D Got to be the 1st for me Bebop, as the reflection is just a tad clearer, well done on getting to the end and I hope you can still comment on some in 2018.
Many thanks Dave. It was a real challenge trying to get something sharp. I think a tripod would have helped and possibly cleaner windows on the outside!

Best of luck in your next 52 and I do hope to pop in occasionally (y)

Hi Bebop.

Build - Bang on theme, nicely composed with spot on verticals and horizontals.
Looking at the skies, I dunno if I'd want to be up ladders building the roof.

Festive - Nice selfie ;) Good use of DoF and an interesting way of having the foreground and background in focus, with the middle ground (the tree) OOF. Clichéd, maybe, but well executed and not just a picture of a bauble.

Weather - Loving the inverse reflections. One of these days I will have to try Macro (but trains don't tend to need macro lenses ;) )

Gratz on getting to the end.
Not joining us in 2018?

For some reason your weather photo make me think of an eyelash. It's a good idea for the theme and I think #2 is the pick for me.

Festive - ita on theme so all that matters
Weather is quite an interesting idea.....

For some reason your weather photo make me think of an eyelash. It's a good idea for the theme and I think #2 is the pick for me.
Ha ha! I see what you mean. Yes I preferred the three drops but they weren't quite so sharp. Definitely could improve them another time.

Festive - ita on theme so all that matters
Weather is quite an interesting idea.....
Thank you!
#1 for me, the reflected tree is a bit clearer in there. Nice choice to finish with. Well done on finishing.
Thanks Michael.
Hi Bebop.

Build - Bang on theme, nicely composed with spot on verticals and horizontals.
Looking at the skies, I dunno if I'd want to be up ladders building the roof.

Festive - Nice selfie ;) Good use of DoF and an interesting way of having the foreground and background in focus, with the middle ground (the tree) OOF. Clichéd, maybe, but well executed and not just a picture of a bauble.

Weather - Loving the inverse reflections. One of these days I will have to try Macro (but trains don't tend to need macro lenses ;) )

Gratz on getting to the end.
Not joining us in 2018?
Yes they were hardy souls!

I'd taken quite a few bauble photos but none were floating my boat, so the reflection looked preferable. I hadn't realised the detail you could pick out though!!

Macro and trains sounds like a dangerous combination to me :D... unless they're in a museum? I seem to remember getting some close ups at Amberley.

I am so tempted to join 2018, but I fear falling behind all the time again. I might secretly do my own and see how I get on.

Last edited:
Just do it. If you fall behind, well, that's what catch-ups are for.
Other than Dave and Allan, I think we all fall behind at some point!

@Bebop I agree with Tim, just do one at your own speed. I am thinking of starting up a Susie one in the Personal Projects + Themes.

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - Great owl and rustic fence.

Wk 51 - Festive - Good focus and exposure, there is a lot of dynamic range in that shot.

Wk 52 - Weather - I prefer the focus in #1 and the composition of #2. Sums up the weather though.

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - Great owl and rustic fence.

Wk 51 - Festive - Good focus and exposure, there is a lot of dynamic range in that shot.

Wk 52 - Weather - I prefer the focus in #1 and the composition of #2. Sums up the weather though.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Completely agree on Weather! I think I'll try and improve on this at some point.

Good luck in your 2018 challenge. I will be dropping in occasionally :)

Back