weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

Hi Iain

really well executed again great attention to detail ie the knife being perfectly straight. excellent idea can't fault it, whites are good exposure perfect :clap:

I believe the only reason Tesco are in business is the amount of forks they sell in one of their stores :LOL:

Hi Iain
Power - very nice, very serene. (y) The long exposure has produced good water but it is the portrayal of the clouds that makes the shot stand out. i would prob have excluded the building on the right.

Solitude - great idea and good exposure. Just that the figure needs more separation from the b/g building I feel as the tones ar every similar.

Sweet - good portrayal of the cube, good colours. I know that you have answered Andy but there is something about it on my screen that puzzles me about the comp. It seems to show a lot of empty space to the right and bottom

Cut - very clever and highly original. :clap: Like the square plate. Good exposure. Also contains an interesting conundrum for me as I see the main part of fork as being 'face down' but the cut tines as being 'face up' so an extra point of interest.

Hi Iain :wave:

& the boy does it again , original take on the theme & perfectly executed :clap::clap:
How did you manage to get the ends cut off a( so cleanly b) so straight ? I struggle to walk in a straight line let alone cut anything straight !

Absolutely outstanding, firstly I wish I'd thought of this one and secondly very well executed, perfect in every way :clap:

First up, apologies for the lateness of my reply, I have been lurking on the forum with minimal posting, we've had a bereavement in the family and my head isn't really with it at the moment.
I won't be posting any images this week but hopefully will catch up in the next few weeks.

Hi Iain

really well executed again great attention to detail ie the knife being perfectly straight. excellent idea can't fault it, whites are good exposure perfect :clap:

I believe the only reason Tesco are in business is the amount of forks they sell in one of their stores :LOL:

Thanks Allan (y)
I really try and concentrate with these still life images as so much of it is under my control, and try not to make silly mistakes (still happens though :LOL:)

:LOL: yes, I have spent more than a couple of quid on forks for destruction

Hi Iain
Power - very nice, very serene. The long exposure has produced good water but it is the portrayal of the clouds that makes the shot stand out. i would prob have excluded the building on the right.

Solitude - great idea and good exposure. Just that the figure needs more separation from the b/g building I feel as the tones ar every similar.

Sweet - good portrayal of the cube, good colours. I know that you have answered Andy but there is something about it on my screen that puzzles me about the comp. It seems to show a lot of empty space to the right and bottom

Cut - very clever and highly original. :clap: Like the square plate. Good exposure. Also contains an interesting conundrum for me as I see the main part of fork as being 'face down' but the cut tines as being 'face up' so an extra point of interest.

Thanks Alan (y)
You've made interesting observations there, much appreciated

Cut, I really, really like this.

Very simple and effective.

Probably not very simple at all :)

Thanks Mark, yes you were right the first time not a complicated image at all.
Set it up and then played around with the lighting, moving the position of the reflector and flash until I was happy.

Hi Iain

& the boy does it again , original take on the theme & perfectly executed :clap:
How did you manage to get the ends cut off a( so cleanly b) so straight ? I struggle to walk in a straight line let alone cut anything straight !

Thanks Lynne, my OCD wouldn't allow me to cut it other than straight :LOL:

Absolutely outstanding, firstly I wish I'd thought of this one and secondly very well executed, perfect in every way :clap:

Thanks John, I appreciate your kind comments (y)

Hi Iain

I have never been able to do that my fingers don't work like that,
good and different interpretation of the theme,

well done for getting something in in what has been a difficult week or so for you

haha, made me chuckle - nice one :)

Thanks John, a very simple image which I am glad raised a smile :D

Hi, Iain, on theme, good smooth lighting and detail.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, more a fill shot than anything else, it sees me through to this weeks theme.

Nanoo Nanoo Iain.

hessam4.gif

:LOL: Cheers Brian

Hi Iain

I have never been able to do that my fingers don't work like that,
good and different interpretation of the theme,

well done for getting something in in what has been a difficult week or so for you

Thanks Allan, as mentioned to Andy above, it sees me through last week and moving on :)

Hi Iain

Have you seen image 5 in Landscape tog of the year? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24611551

I have seen it - yours is better Iain IMO. The retention of the detail in the f/g of your shot is more interesting. Not sure about whether the cloning out of the land behind the post is better or not. Your sky is also better.

Live - simple shot on theme but looks a bit grey to me and not too keen o the fall off of the light at the extremities. But one more in the bag (y)

Last edited:
Hi Iain

I have seen it - yours is better Iain IMO. The retention of the detail in the f/g of your shot is more interesting. Not sure about whether the cloning out of the land behind the post is better or not. Your sky is also better.

Live - simple shot on theme but looks a bit grey to me and not too keen o the fall off of the light at the extremities. But one more in the bag (y)

Saw that.

Iain's daring composition edges it for me.

Cheers

Have you seen image 5 in Landscape tog of the year? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24611551

I did once you posted that link Brian ;)
Its a popular spot, unsurprising, I think it is a very photogenic scene.

Hi Iain

Thanks Alan (y)
I think I prefer it with the land cloned out having compared the images.

Live was post and be damned Alan, my head wasn't really in it.
But I do agree with your comment/observation.

Saw that.

Iain's daring composition edges it for me.

Cheers

Thanks Andy (y)

Pretty much what Lynne said sums it up for me, my fingers don't do that so there would have been visible sellotape had I done that.

Oh, and cut is your usual excellent standard of idea and execution. (y)

Hi Iain, very sorry I have not popped in for a while. Curve, that is a lovely picture, great movement in the clouds and I like the b+w. Live, cracking idea, nice composition and well lit.

Thanks Michael, no apologies necessary (y)

Hi Iain

even your post & be dammed shots are corkers :clap: & it made me laugh so good work as always ....hope you're doing ok matey :hug:

Thanks Lynne, you're really too kind ;)
I am doing ok, still a lot on my mind but hey life goes on.

Pretty much what Lynne said sums it up for me, my fingers don't do that so there would have been visible sellotape had I done that.

Oh, and cut is your usual excellent standard of idea and execution. (y)

Thanks Graham (y)

Your kind comments are much appreciated.

Do like the first Jain. How on earth do you resist cloning out all those bits in the water.....

Second feels a bit tight in the frame but see the shoreline prevented you Going much wider at the bottom.

Like the long exposures effect on the reflections. (y)

Last edited:
Do like the first Jain. How on earth do you resist cloning out all those bits in the water.....

Second feels a bit tight in the frame but see the shoreline prevented you Going much wider at the bottom.

Like the long exposures effect on the reflections. (y)

Thanks Graham (y)
I am still using iPhoto to process my images, so it is very limited compared to say photoshop. Hence the no cloning of the bits in the water.

#2 was very tight around it so as to avoid the shore and other wrecks.

Hi Iain

First one I think the for sale sign makes it quite amusing but I do really like the second one excellent,
the slight clipping of the mast is a small nitpick would have liked to have seen a little more space at the top

I'm beginning to go off you ya know....you not only have great ability with the camera but you find some amazing locations & subjects as well :D

#2 for me.....great angle, mono works perfectly & it has a kind of misty effect going on in the background :clap: minor nitpick is the clipped mast

#2 seems ,dare I say it , a little ,not sure what word I'm looking for....plain next to #1 I think

#2 for me!

It is a shame about that mast, perhaps you could clone the very top off of it (same length as the one next to it) when you get some software...

That said, I love the rest of the composition, the simple pallette of colours and the clarity. Nice one. (y)

Hey Iain :)

Reflection - A fantastic pair of images, for me I prefer the first, I like the angle of the second image/boat but it's the effect of the reflection on the first that I prefer as it seems more dominant in the picture

Looking back....

Sweet - A great Idea, I thought I had commented on this one, maybe it was flickr :thinking:

anyway, love the colours and they way you have set it up, but for me it's too high in the frame, the lighting as usual is spot on (y)

Cut - Super !!!! very imaginative, unsure how you have done it the the cutlery has struck again, whether it's PP or whether you have actually cut the fork and painstakingly placed the prongs perfectly it's a lovely crisp bright image :clap:

Hi Iain

First one I think the for sale sign makes it quite amusing but I do really like the second one excellent,
the slight clipping of the mast is a small nitpick would have liked to have seen a little more space at the top

Thanks Allan (y)
The clipping of the mast is something I tried to fix with limited pp options, needless to say it didn't work so sacked that idea.
It was a bit of a compromise as it was very tight around this wreck, I took it knowing it was likely needing to be 'fixed' :LOL:

I'm beginning to go off you ya know....you not only have great ability with the camera but you find some amazing locations & subjects as well :D

#2 for me.....great angle, mono works perfectly & it has a kind of misty effect going on in the background :clap: minor nitpick is the clipped mast

#2 seems ,dare I say it , a little ,not sure what word I'm looking for....plain next to #1 I think

:LOL: thanks Lynne,
I agree, it is plain looking, I feel some better lighting may have added a little drama to it. The water was in as far as it was going to, that was as much of a reflection I was going to get.
It is easy enough for me to revisit, it's not too far a drive from my home.

#2 for me!

It is a shame about that mast, perhaps you could clone the very top off of it (same length as the one next to it) when you get some software...

That said, I love the rest of the composition, the simple pallette of colours and the clarity. Nice one. (y)

Thanks Brian,
A few things I would do differently, I agree but worth a revisit.

Hey Iain :)

Reflection - A fantastic pair of images, for me I prefer the first, I like the angle of the second image/boat but it's the effect of the reflection on the first that I prefer as it seems more dominant in the picture

Looking back....

Sweet - A great Idea, I thought I had commented on this one, maybe it was flickr :thinking:

anyway, love the colours and they way you have set it up, but for me it's too high in the frame, the lighting as usual is spot on (y)

Cut - Super !!!! very imaginative, unsure how you have done it the the cutlery has struck again, whether it's PP or whether you have actually cut the fork and painstakingly placed the prongs perfectly it's a lovely crisp bright image :clap:

Cheers Dean,
I believe you have commented, on Flickr as you mentioned.
Cut, no pp involved to achieve the cut in the fork, it is as shot, another cheapo tesco fork bites the dust :LOL:

Sweet & Cut - A pair of great ideas, and both really nicely done.

Live doesn't do a lot for me personally, but it's a different take on the theme, and it's really well done. Lighting is spot on.

Both reflection shots have a great feel to them. I keep coming back to #1 for the compositional simplicity and the great character of the boat. Nice work.

#2 for me.

The lead in of the fence from the left gives the image balance and offers the image more interest than simply a reflection. Great capture.

Thanks Alan (y)
The fence is actually another wreck, they are positioned quite close together.

Sweet & Cut - A pair of great ideas, and both really nicely done.

Live doesn't do a lot for me personally, but it's a different take on the theme, and it's really well done. Lighting is spot on.

Both reflection shots have a great feel to them. I keep coming back to #1 for the compositional simplicity and the great character of the boat. Nice work.

Cheers Nick (y)
Live doesn't do a lot for me either :LOL:
It kept me up to date though.

The boat in #1 was probably my favourite of the wrecks, it would have been ideal had there been a bit more space around it, oh and the tide had come in a bit further , oh and there had been better lighting, oh and I had worn wellies to get closer to them :LOL:

As usual, Iain, two crackers. #2 reminds me of A Second World War photograph.

The processing is bang on. Minor crit re the top of the mast has been mentioned.

As has been said, you really do have an good ey.

Cheers.

I seem to be saying a lot lately how I like b&w and these are no exception :)
It gives a real moody feel to the reflection shots here

I actually prefer #1 and the writing makes it for me
The second is good also but wish there was a bit more space around the top of the mast

As usual, Iain, two crackers. #2 reminds me of A Second World War photograph.

The processing is bang on. Minor crit re the top of the mast has been mentioned.

As has been said, you really do have an good ey.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)
They are great subjects, just need another visit with different light to really do them justice.

I seem to be saying a lot lately how I like b&w and these are no exception :)
It gives a real moody feel to the reflection shots here

I actually prefer #1 and the writing makes it for me
The second is good also but wish there was a bit more space around the top of the mast

Thanks Chris (y)
Yes I agree about the mast.

Really good lighting on both of those Iain.

At first i preferred the heart image but then when i re-viewed i noticed the light twinkling and reflecting from the cubes in the first image. This makes it really stand out. Good square crop as well.

Can i ask, what was the surface you were using??

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Iain
I have no idea how you do that with water keeping it contained in a shape, :thinking: you must be some kind of wizard:exit:
Having a hard time choosing between them both very good but maybe the feet as it is on theme with a lot of your past shots.
nice work and nice to see you back :clap:

Really good lighting on both of those Iain.

At first i preferred the heart image but then when i re-viewed i noticed the light twinkling and reflecting from the cubes in the first image. This makes it really stand out. Good square crop as well.

Can i ask, what was the surface you were using??

Thanks,
Alan

Thanks Alan,
The lighting is natural, I used a reflector to throw some more onto the back of the cubes.
The surface is actually a frosted glass work top protector come chopping board.

Hi Iain
I have no idea how you do that with water keeping it contained in a shape, :thinking: you must be some kind of wizard:exit:
Having a hard time choosing between them both very good but maybe the feet as it is on theme with a lot of your past shots.
nice work and nice to see you back :clap:

:LOL: Thanks Allan, no wizardry involved, it's actually glycerine onto the glass board as mentioned to Alan above. The glass is textured so it helps the glycerine hold its shape.

Thanks, it's good to be back after recent events which were an obvious distraction which needed my full attention.

Back