weekly Blondie606's 52 2013 Wk 52 Water-The End :-(

I like it, great take on the theme - old build, new build.

Composition is great with the horizontal and vertical lines, and with the repeating pattern of the houses I had to go full size to make sure you hadn't copy/pasted them all! :D (although that did lead me to notice the couple of greyed chimneys!)

Nothing looks wrong with the focus though, any softness will presumably be due to taking it at f16.

Thanks very much for your kind comments....I really need to sort out my pp skills...or lack of them...darn the chimmney pots :)

Nice clean shot. Really lovely composition as several others have said, and the contrasting colours are great as well.

Cheers mister :)

Nice composition, colour, and interesting sky - is it tonemapped or is that how it looked naturally? I also like the plant growing out of the frontmost chimney pots. (y)

Thanks for popping in , did tone map the sky but dialed most of it back out...was a fairly decent sky to start with just wanted a little more detail in it :)

Cracking shot Lynne - the missed chimney pot is the only thing that lets it down for me. love the use of colour on the houses against the B&W of the tower block.

And on a pretty hard week theme-wise, you're bang on theme.

I wonder how easy cloning out the lampost would be too?

Nooo...I don't do cloning of something that size :LOL:

Hi Lynne -

Juxtaposition - spot on :clap:. Good comp, good contrast with old and new, colour and b&w, height. Some very minor points mentioned by others but don't detract from a super sffort.

Could say........ (y) ......

But just for you :.....

P1020279_-_Copy_2_edited-1.jpg

Awww, thats fab & very kind of you :love: ...ta muchly matey (y)

Interesting photo, like the contrast.

Hi Lynn. glad I was not the only one who had to google the def of juxtaposition ... I am also thinking old new / modern traditional.

Well you cracked it and I think many others will follow suit. I like the idea of juxtaposition of colours so will look for yellow / blue as opposites of colour wheel ( thanks to my smart kid daughter for that one)

Good work as ever.
Carl

Cheers Carl....having looked at others takes on this theme it's actually looking easier than I'd have thought at 1st.....Blue & yellow whould work really well....red & pink may be another option ?

Great shot and on theme for me. Focus looks good to me. Cant really add any more than has already been said (y)

Cheers for your comments :)

thats a great shot not keen on the B+W colour thing but I see why you used it. great lines and i love the way the windows line up at the bottom best juxtamathingy yet :clap:

Thanks Alan...funny thing is the tower block & sky were almost grey anyway so sc'ing it didn't take to much effort...even though I know it's a marmite thing :crying:
Took a week off, and now struggling to catch up with FB.

Still trying to get my head round this one and looking at yours and others understanding the theme better

Very good example of the theme, old with new, small with large, looks in focus to me :)

Thaks mister , appreciate you comments . This theme is getting easier with more images being posted up...I sometimes wonder if we over think these things :thinking:

That works just fine for me. Great composition, and the colour/monochrome effect adds further to the contrast.

That works just fine for me. Great composition, and the colour/monochrome effect adds further to the contrast.

:agree: What Nick said!

This held my view for some time Lynne, its almost an optical illusion.
I was going to mention the leading lines of the red brick buildings from the bottom of the frame leading up hill then to the rooftops which seem to be going downhill :LOL:
I like the effect of that and feel it adds to the theme in some way.
Not sure if that makes any sense :LOL:
Good work Missus (y)

Superb shot, really sums up Juxtaposition. I like the part colour and part mono, I like the contrasting subjects and the contrasting shapes. Really excellent, I can't fault it and the focus looks fine to me.

Love it! Perfect choice for the theme - nice perspective too, it leads you into the photograph perfectly. As mentioned, the only slightly distracting thing is the plant from the chimney - but other than that, perfect! Nice one! (y)

I think a lot of us have had to google this week. perfect take on the subject, not sure about the b/w, would have liked to hvae seen both sides given the same tratement, but I do love the composition.

excellent shot, for me, bang on theme, love the composition

Thanks Nick :)

:agree: What Nick said!

This held my view for some time Lynne, its almost an optical illusion.
I was going to mention the leading lines of the red brick buildings from the bottom of the frame leading up hill then to the rooftops which seem to be going downhill :LOL:
I like the effect of that and feel it adds to the theme in some way.
Not sure if that makes any sense :LOL:
Good work Missus (y)

Cheers Iain...went & had another look at it after reading your comment of optical illusion....didn't spot it before :bonk:

Superb shot, really sums up Juxtaposition. I like the part colour and part mono, I like the contrasting subjects and the contrasting shapes. Really excellent, I can't fault it and the focus looks fine to me.

Thanks Nicky :)

Love it! Perfect choice for the theme - nice perspective too, it leads you into the photograph perfectly. As mentioned, the only slightly distracting thing is the plant from the chimney - but other than that, perfect! Nice one! (y)

Cheers WMD...really need to be more careful with editing fiddly things...need to get the wacom pen thingy plugged in as it may make life simpler !

I think a lot of us have had to google this week. perfect take on the subject, not sure about the b/w, would have liked to hvae seen both sides given the same tratement, but I do love the composition.

Cheers Erce..appreciate you popping in (y)

Hi Lynne, I think your Juxtathingy shot is a good choice for the theme. Well I think it is as I had to Google it too!

My only crit is the greyed out chimney where the sc conversion has gone over a bit.

Oh and what bike do you ride? I miss my CBR 600!

Thanks Marsha ..triumph triple 675...helps keep me sane when work gets too much :D Always fancied a honda but triumph has a hold on me (5 in 10 yrs!), did test ride the new CB1000 naked blade..what a bike :love:

excellent shot, for me, bang on theme, love the composition

Thanks for popping in :)

This really stands out with the old and new, nice interpretation

Actully I like the bushes growing out of the chimmeny pot, a real nice picture works really well

Glad someone else likes the bush....(y)

Hey Lynne

Hope your feeling better now.

Another great shot for me, well spotted and this is my favourite for the week. I think the bushes add yet another juxtaposition within the shot.

My eyes were drawn to one of the top left windows of the tower block which has a white blind pulled down, but after a few views of this picture, I kinda like it being there.

Brilliant

Hi Lynn, I think your Juxtaposition shot is very well done. Old and new with a corresponding colour contrast and angle. Good job represents theme well.

Hey Lynne

Hope your feeling better now.

Another great shot for me, well spotted and this is my favourite for the week. I think the bushes add yet another juxtaposition within the shot.

My eyes were drawn to one of the top left windows of the tower block which has a white blind pulled down, but after a few views of this picture, I kinda like it being there.

Brilliant

Hi Allison , yeah , all recovered & raring to go :)

Hi Lynn, I think your Juxtaposition shot is very well done. Old and new with a corresponding colour contrast and angle. Good job represents theme well.

Thanks for popping Mh (y)

Week 10....being on holiday I decided to give myself an easier time & if a shot turned up that fitted the theme so be it...then found myself looking for shots !
Sweden & Finland don't appear to have letter boxes in doors out in the countryside...given the depth of the snow I suspect these make life much easier for the postie :)

Wk 10 Letter 2 by llj666, on Flickr

try as I did I couldn't handle the exposure 100%...the sunlight was incredibly strong

Just wandering back to the hotel & whilst taking another shot of icicles i suddenly saw this.....a real grab shot with focus set for something else...

Wk 10 Letter 1 by llj666, on Flickr
the sky was doing all manner of weird things so rescued it as well as I could in pse

Thats my get out free card played for this year...not worried about crit( there's plenty to go at) as I can't go back & reshoot...not this year anyway :D

Love them both Lynne :love:

They both tell a story IMHO, the cool blue tones in #1 set the scene with your choice of composition drawing the viewers eye in and through. I don't think there's anything to crit on it, bright sunlit conditions against the snow couldn't have been easy exposure wise but you've done really well with it. (y)

#2 Fantastic, a candid grab shot as you say but perfect timing (y)
It really does tell a story. I particularly like the warm :cautious: colour tones in the sky. All round lovely Missus :D

Hi Lynne, the line of post boxes is great. The blue really stands out nicely against the different shades of snow.

The second shot is superb given the harsh lighting conditions:clap: The warm glow in the sky is clearly very misleading! Great composition with the face of the postie in the wing mirror and the number plate looks like it would be more appropriate in the UK for what we get posted through our doors!

Hope you had a nice trip away, I like the shots you've posted so far (y)

Hi, Lynne, #1 is a nice minimal effect and the blue works well. #2 for me, though, well composed and I can almost see her smiling. Nice hint of colour in the sky as well.

Cheers.

Love them both Lynne :love:

They both tell a story IMHO, the cool blue tones in #1 set the scene with your choice of composition drawing the viewers eye in and through. I don't think there's anything to crit on it, bright sunlit conditions against the snow couldn't have been easy exposure wise but you've done really well with it. (y)

#2 Fantastic, a candid grab shot as you say but perfect timing (y)
It really does tell a story. I particularly like the warm :cautious: colour tones in the sky. All round lovely Missus :D

You're too kind matey...but I don't mind :D....the sky was blown more than a tad as was shooting something else when I saw this post van...tis amazing what pse can do....must admit though, even at minus28 degree's the sunrises were short but wonderfully colored (y)

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Fantastic simplicity with the blue letter boxes against the white snow. Goes together really well.

And i love the different colour tones in the second.

Brilliant.

Aww...thanks kindly :)

Hi Lynne, the line of post boxes is great. The blue really stands out nicely against the different shades of snow.

The second shot is superb given the harsh lighting conditions:clap: The warm glow in the sky is clearly very misleading! Great composition with the face of the postie in the wing mirror and the number plate looks like it would be more appropriate in the UK for what we get posted through our doors!

Hope you had a nice trip away, I like the shots you've posted so far (y)

Hi Marsha...didn;t spot the number plate till you mentioned it :LOL: Had a fab trip...planning for a rturn trip next year already !

blue letter boxes are great have to agree with everyone else :clap:

Thanks Alan (y)

Hi, Lynne, #1 is a nice minimal effect and the blue works well. #2 for me, though, well composed and I can almost see her smiling. Nice hint of colour in the sky as well.

I think she was actually laughing at me.....concentrating so hard on the shot I wanted that she could've run me over :LOL:

Cheers.

Hi Lynne :)

Letter - Certainly the first one for me, really like the angle and the single colour of the post-boxs... the colour co-ordinated Sig is a great touch (y)

Electric - Ooooo what a toughie, liking the shapes and curves in the first shot, but also like the fingers in the second, lovely vivid colours in both, pleasing crops, so for me tough to choose... so I won't, a cracking pair (y)

Sweden is lovely. I may be going over to Stockholm in October when our niece/nephew is due!

Electric, ooo very quick. I like them both. The first because it's sharper but the second because you can see the globe shape. Love the colours in both though and the nice black bg (y)

Electric..nice idea, love the contrast of colour against the blackness - prefer the one without the fingers personally.

on closer inspection, you can see your edit fairly clearly in the top area of #1 ....and you missed a bit ;)
would suggest a elliptical selection tool over what you want to keep and then black out around it to make the outer shape cleaner, then touch up the bits in the middle.

Last edited:
have no idea what siblingchris is on about :thinking: i prefer No2 but both are good :clap:

I think Chris is right, only on close inspection of the large res version though.

I'm preferrring the second, due to the fact that you get the whole complete circle of the globe, and the red glowing out onto the finger tips just completes it for me.

Hi....like both of your electric pics. Prefer the first one....looks like its floating in air...well done you :clap:

#1 for electric gets my vote Lynne (y)

I think its because there is more 'working out' what it is to be done.
Also the negative space works well, my mind fills in the blanks if you see what I mean. Lovely vibrant colours too, very eye catching.

Good work Missus (y)

It's number 1 for me, so much less busy than number 2, which really lets the colours breathe. Lovely shapes too. (y)

Hello Lynne, to great pics for Electric. Both bang on theme and nice colours, but I think that being able to see the sphere in the second one gives it that little bit something extra.

Hi Lynne :)

Letter - Certainly the first one for me, really like the angle and the single colour of the post-boxs... the colour co-ordinated Sig is a great touch (y)

Electric - Ooooo what a toughie, liking the shapes and curves in the first shot, but also like the fingers in the second, lovely vivid colours in both, pleasing crops, so for me tough to choose... so I won't, a cracking pair (y)

Thanks Dean (y)

Sweden is lovely. I may be going over to Stockholm in October when our niece/nephew is due!

Electric, ooo very quick. I like them both. The first because it's sharper but the second because you can see the globe shape. Love the colours in both though and the nice black bg (y)

Cheers Marsha..yup, Sweden is lovely , especially when it's all snowy :)

Electric..nice idea, love the contrast of colour against the blackness - prefer the one without the fingers personally.

on closer inspection, you can see your edit fairly clearly in the top area of #1 ....and you missed a bit ;)
would suggest a elliptical selection tool over what you want to keep and then black out around it to make the outer shape cleaner, then touch up the bits in the middle.

:thinking:...if only I understood....

have no idea what siblingchris is on about :thinking: i prefer No2 but both are good :clap:

Thanks Alan....& yes , I don't understand it either :LOL:

I think Chris is right, only on close inspection of the large res version though.

I'm preferrring the second, due to the fact that you get the whole complete circle of the globe, and the red glowing out onto the finger tips just completes it for me.

Thanks graham :)

Boo to the pixels peepers! LOL - I love the colours. They are both nice. (y)

Cheers Brian :)

Hi....like both of your electric pics. Prefer the first one....looks like its floating in air...well done you :clap:

Many thanks, like the idea of it floating

#1 for electric gets my vote Lynne (y)

I think its because there is more 'working out' what it is to be done.
Also the negative space works well, my mind fills in the blanks if you see what I mean. Lovely vibrant colours too, very eye catching.

Good work Missus (y)

Cheers matey (y)

It's number 1 for me, so much less busy than number 2, which really lets the colours breathe. Lovely shapes too. (y)

Thanks Nick (y)

Lol....wasn't pixel peeping at first but thought "that would make a great desktop wallpaper" and therefore went to the high res version and.....

hi Chris...on closer inspection I can see what you mean about the rougher edges...pp is not my strong point but I've added an edit below....any better ?

Hello Lynne, to great pics for Electric. Both bang on theme and nice colours, but I think that being able to see the sphere in the second one gives it that little bit something extra.

Back