BlueHaze project52 week 05 Mineral

Not a big Bullet for my valentine fan to be fair not heard the song but interesting start to your 52, I like it

It's a strong image but looks to have a purple colour cast, which may have been what you intended or may be an artifact from LED lighting at a guess. Looking forwrd to more.

Am I the only one that knows this song then, love this one, my daughter introduced me too them 2 or 3 years ago, very good live too :D ... back to the photo, it's a real nice detailed image, an unusual catch light but very good focus and detail where the tear is :)

Awww thanx for the nice comments guys :) I think something a little less dramatic for next week, we'll see ;)

Am I the only one that knows this song then

haha yes probably, its one of my faveourite songs :)

I had to google it, a melodic little number but a bit too thrashy in places for my tastes. Nice photo tho.

Thanx for the feedback peeps much appreciated :)

I bet that too one or two shots to perfect (unless you and your model are experts at holding dead still).

It's actually my eye :) took the photo with a tripod, and yes it took quite a few shots, wasn't 100% happy with it but if I had to shoot that flash in my face one more time my eye might of dropped out :p

Hello and welcome to your 50 to challenge 2017, I haven't heard this song before checking it out on you tube. It fits the theme and I like the catch lights in the eye. I wish you all the best with the rest of your challenge.

Some wonderful detail in the eye and I like the redness of the blood vessels.

WB may be a little off and I'd like a more pronounced tear. That said, the detail really does appeal to me.

Cheers

Well done Cathy. Close-up of the eye is never easy but you've done well to capture all those lovely details. Super start

Bit of a theme forming here... I too get pulled to the house, but love the angle and the funky colours :)

The pic may be totally misread by us, so when you add your image may I suggest just a 'one liner' stating your reasoning behind the shot, it's likely we will all say 'Oh Yeah, didn't think of that' :)

:agree: with Dean ... the building may belong to a religious order for all we know but as things stand, I assume the subject is the metal railing. The heavy contrast gives the image a dramatic, maybe even oppressive, feel.

Hahaha thankyou everyone for your feedback :)

love the angle and the funky colours :)

Thankyou :) thats the reason i picked this photo. I didnt have long to take anything as my technical support/camera owner/bf is away atm. So out of the 2 i did get i picked this one as i thought it was more interesting, and more me.

DSC_4042_edited by Cathy Dickens, on Flickr

Is the other photo, more concentrated on the railings, but in my oppinion not as interesting :)

the building may belong to a religious order for all we know

Yup its a church :)

The heavy contrast gives the image a dramatic, maybe even oppressive, feel.

Good that was the idea :)

The pic may be totally misread by us, so when you add your image may I suggest just a 'one liner' stating your reasoning behind the shot

Yes i will do that in future thankyou, ive no idea what im doing atm haha.

Thankyou :) thats the reason i picked this photo. I didnt have long to take anything as my technical support/camera owner/bf is away atm. So out of the 2 i did get i picked this one as i thought it was more interesting, and more me.
Cool, a good choice and like to see you going your own way :)
......Yes i will do that in future thankyou, ive no idea what im doing atm haha.
Hahaa no worries, we have all been there :)

#2 is more pleasing to the eye I think, with the strong leading lines. Although I think on both photos your white balance might be a bit off.

I would have chosen #2 as as I like the bike/people in the background but it's your 52 so stick to what you like. It's a unusual pattern on the railings and like the way the light has reflected off them in #1.

Did Dom leave you with the camera or take it with him?

Thanx Steve :) I do like the other one too, just the first one had the edge for me.

Yeah he took it with him, expecting some amazing photos on his return if he's had any free time to take any that is lol

#2 for me, moving a step forward would remove the distracting foliage and a few distractions.

Nice shallow DOF and I quite like the idea.

Cheers.

Hi Cathy

#2 ... very shallow dof and not sure it's compatible with OTT processing, but hey it's your style, stick with it? And I like the FG foliage. :)

That's right blame me [emoji3].

At first I preferred the second image but now I look more closely I really like the centrally converging rail and roof in the first image, and the shape of the roofs. I think there are some nice leading lines in there for sure which pleases the eye in a certain way.

It's well done considering we had a fussy toddler to contend with!

Last edited:
I would have chosen #2 as as I like the bike/people in the background but it's your 52 so stick to what you like. It's a unusual pattern on the railings and like the way the light has reflected off them in #1.

Did Dom leave you with the camera or take it with him?
I just took the 35mm. Realised the only chance I will get is tomorrow early morning. Colleagues think I'm mad, but really I'm just hooked. I'm expecting good light tomorrow so I hope I will shoot a keeper or too, wish me luck.

Last edited:
Hi Cathy. I like both of your submissions so far, particularly the first as the dark tones and of course teary eye suit the track perfectly.

From your week one submission, the second is definitely the stronger of the two shots (the first is dominated by the house as has been said).

I wonder if the railing could have been isolated more using a shallower DoF, or a different background if taken from another angle or section perhaps?

Either way, good start :)

That's right blame me
emoji3.png

And why wouldnt i :p

I'm expecting good light tomorrow so I hope I will shoot a keeper or too, wish me luck.

Im sure you will get something :)

I wonder if the railing could have been isolated more using a shallower DoF, or a different background if taken from another angle or section perhaps?

I did try to get a different angle but there was very unattractive electrical boxes behind the fence that i didnt really want in the photo. I tried my best with the time i had, literally had like 3 minutes to take a photo, joys of toddlers...!
But thankyou :) Will get more time next week to take a photo hopefully for the next theme.

Ooh, I prefer #2 over #1.
The issue with the original shot is that the house in the background is much lighter than the railings, so draws the eye away from the in focus areas in the shot.
#2 has bright points around the blue railings, which draw the eye far more :)
I find my eye starts on the house in the background, but is then lead, by the leading lines in the railings, to the right hand side and the bright in focus railing + the foliage.

Don't lose the foliage, as it gives another strong colour to the image at the focal point.

Back