weekly BobBCN 52 (Wk 52 - BUSY added)

I like it too, but have you tried desaturating it to remove the odd hints of brown? I like it lots even so :banana:

Unfortunately the strongest thing I'm getting from this one is that the focus was off and it's been sharpened to compensate :( Which is such a shame because it is a lovely and very abstract shot. The idea and theme are definitely there; I just find that the focus could be better.

I'd be very interested to see a second attempt!

Spot on with your observations there Vicky!

I'm finding more and more with this Canon 1100D and its std lenses that sharp shots are a bit of a rarity. I think I'll need to upgrade before my frustration gets the better of me.

I know just how you feel. I had the same problem with my a700 - something about it made it really hard for me to get a good crisp shot. I upgraded to an a77 and the viewfinder was so much bigger and clearer (it's electronic) that I was suddenly getting what I wanted - and that built up habits that now work on the a700 as well.

I'm not suggesting you need a new camera(!), but I do find that a change can help you to re-think your style and habits for the better. Have you considered renting some hardcore lenses to play with? It's harder for us Sony users to find them, but it's something I really want to do. Mostly because if I keep buying them I'm going to run out of money for the finer things in life. Like the mortgage. :LOL:

hi Bob, you have had a good attempt here but like Vicky said it's not quite sharp! Since upgrading to the d7000 which has live view it has made focusing a lot easier. I have gone back to using the camera on manual with manual focus the majority of the time which has helped me - I got a bit lazy leaving it all to the camera and somehow feel happier having more control myself - only it means I can't blame the camera when it goes wrong!!:LOL::LOL:

Hi Bob

Catching up

Dark - Super focus, composition and colour. I am a great fan of these painterly shots, reminiscient of Dutch old masters. Like it a lot (y)

Time - good shot and dealing with exposure but I don't get the theme without the explanation

Body - #1 for me. On theme and good focus and use of b&w. Usually i ould not like the reflections in the glass but (and I can't put my finger on why) thay don' bother me here.

Liquid - simple, good comp, like the desaturated look with just hints of colour. I also like the differential focus but probably just too many parts oof.

I decided to do a different LIQUID shot just before last orders, so to speak.

Here I was playing with reflections in olive oil, as you do.

Basically a black tray splashed with oil, a backdrop of another tray (advertising Coca Cola) and then cropped so as to just show the reflection.

A shiny black 'unscratched' tray would have been just the ticket.

Coca Cola (3) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Here's another which I inverted but now the drops look a bit weird!!
Of course, silly me, I should have turned the backdrop tray upside down in the first place!!!!! :bonk:

Coca Cola (1) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

And once again thanks for all the comments. They are all appreciated and so far I think I'm actually learning from this challenge.

Last edited:
Hi Bob

Sorry to say but not taken with your 1st Liquid image.....although abstract which I like I can't see the focus point.

However I really like the other 2 images....the coca cola tray is an excellent background & I love the shapes the oil has made,the shiny look ....(y)

Thanks Lynne and Vicky.

The other image has returned! I rotated it in flickr and it disappeared!

Here it is again but this time without inversion. Much better I think, at least the drops look more natural.

35-Liquid (4) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

I like the first one best it doesn't look like an ad for coke more of an abstract

Thanks for the comments.
Alan - I see what you mean about the dark edge. If I remember rightly I was messing with a table lamp, trying to illuminate the whole thing but without creating a reflection from the lamp itself - if you follow my drift. I think this shot was with the light shining sort of over the camera's right shoulder.

I also would go for this last edit. As said the liquid looks more natural as the upside background works upside as it is a reflection after all. Good one.

Thanks for the comments.
Alan - I see what you mean about the dark edge. If I remember rightly I was messing with a table lamp, trying to illuminate the whole thing but without creating a reflection from the lamp itself - if you follow my drift. I think this shot was with the light shining sort of over the camera's right shoulder.

It's only a minor point really because overall the pic is super

Ooops, no photo this week for UP!! I have deliberately postponed UP as there's some of those traditional Catalan 'human castles' on show tomorrow (9th September). It's all part of the town's local celebrations. I hope to get some crackers posted after the event. It'll be perfect for UP and would also suit 'MADNESS' if that theme ever came out of the bag!!
(If anyone has seen these things they'll know what I mean!!)

So, sos for the delay.

Maybe I can also get some shots for DUO and post them together!! Ha! Ha!

Ok so here's my late UP offerings.
As I said, there's a tradition of Human Castles in this part of the world which basically involves building as high as possible. The object is not only to build the castle, but also to dismantle it without it breaking up.

Spectacular stuff to see albeit slightly crazy - in my 366 I've included a shot of a collapse.

Here .....

Frightening when you think that the top tiers are very young kids!!!

Castles (3) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Hey Bob :)

Body - The first shot for me as it has better context, but both good shots

Liquid - A very interesting shot - I like it (y)

different Liquid - Very effective indeed, I really like how this looks, the scratches don't affect it much for me, nicely done

Up - Nice one... Not sure whether a tighter crop with some off the top would improve it, Good take on the theme

Thanks for all the comments!

Here's Week 37: DUO. I have been quite busy what with the start of the school year an' all but at least it gave me an idea for the theme!!!

37.DUO by BobBCN, on Flickr]​

that took me ages to work out what it is now I can see it I get it :clap:

WEEK 38 - FLOW

I'm on the verge of really falling behind .....

Here's a weak effort for FLOW and not even taken during the week - mega cheating going on. Anyway, it was a first attempt with some ND filters and a 2.5 second exposure. I think I managed a kind of milky effect but obviously it does not compare with all those waterfalls/weirs/coastlines etc.

SINK (1) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Hi Bob

I missed some of yours

liquid - I like the 2nd one better with the coke the right way up :)
up - ha ha mad people, would love to see this :clap:
duo - not for me sorry, I think it's a pencil being sharpened?? Hard to tell because of the mono but don't see where duo fits in, sorry :(
flow - I like this because it is simple and straightforward and right on theme :)

Thanks summer!

UP - I agree there, an element of madness for sure. It's very traditional, steeped in history etc etc In fact there are families which go back generations, but notice that the kids wear helmets. This became a law because of a fatal accident some years back.

DUO - Yes, pencil + sharpener but up close, perhaps too close.
I was thinking about 2 things which go together ..... and as I'm back at work (teaching, that is) it just occurred to me. Of course, I could have taken a kid sharpening the pencil and then I would have had 'Pencil Sharpening + Time Wasting' which certainly go together!! (That's just me being cynical!)

Thanks again

Week 39 - Friendship

After struggling all week and coming up with nothing which hadn't already been done ..... listening to the radio gave me an idea.

No prizes for guessing the song/film etc

friends (1) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Back