weekly Bob's 52 with 52 lenses for 2018-Week 7 Guarded

Gate(d) - sorry I am a little late in visiting your thread, a different take on the theme and I dont mind the processing on it.

People - good shot, my only niggle is the top of the chaps hat has been clipped, could use more room at the the top of the frame.

Gate(d) - sorry I am a little late in visiting your thread, a different take on the theme and I dont mind the processing on it.

People - good shot, my only niggle is the top of the chaps hat has been clipped, could use more room at the the top of the frame.
No problem, Mandy, I've still got to go through many of the "gated" shots myself. As for the clipped hat, it's there on the original but I chose to lose it during reframing to put more emphasis on the facial features.

Bob

Hi Bob, just hopped into your thread, really liking your choice for Gate, what an unusual location, very different and works perfectly. People ...he looks like a character with a story to tell, makes for a very effective portrait shot, I like that a lot.

Last edited:
p2721939571-4.jpg

Star K

Using an EF100 f/2.8 IS L on a 5DSR with a diffused MT-24 Twinlite..... 1/125, f/6.3 Iso 3200.

I can't find a link to your thread on the main picture thread Bob.

Clever word play. And a lovely image of a great selection of shells.

Clever word play. And a lovely image of a great selection of shells.

Great play on words for the theme :)
And a very pretty picture too boot. Making a change from the Mono shots that have mostly been posted for Stark.

Thanks guys.....I like the challenge of trying to put a different spin on things.

Last edited:
Great photo, the red starfish really pops out from the beige shells!

Very good take on theme Bob, great lighting that just makes the shot for me with a good BG too.
Thanks Dave. A bit of January sun through the trees but the shadows were a little too fussy in the background so I masked them and darkened a fair bit.
I was concerned that the subject might be a little too cryptic for the theme.

Bob

I'm a bit slow, I don't get the connection... but a great photo, great light and great muted colours! If I had to nit pick I would say that the highlights on the handle of the basket (and on the eggs) are a tiny bit overblown... but I don't have to :)

I'm a bit slow, I don't get the connection... but a great photo, great light and great muted colours! If I had to nit pick I would say that the highlights on the handle of the basket (and on the eggs) are a tiny bit overblown... but I don't have to :)

Nice Image, I'm sure you will explain the connection seen by you.

"Ova" is Latin for eggs (ovum singular, ova plural) :)

Sorry catching up on comments
People - great character you have captured the facial details well.
Star k - good twist on the theme and its not black and white I like it
Over - another good twist of the theme. Great composition nice rustic shot, good light I like it

Thanks for explain the ova/over thing. It's a fabulous set-up and shot. :clap:

Over

That light really makes this shot.
Probably one of my favourites so far.

Stark - as others have said a nice bit of wordplay and the starfish does stand out from the shells in the image.

Over - I think it is a very well composed image, I am just missing the connect to the theme:thinking:.

Over is a cracking shot, nice and sharp with lovely contrast and a very clever connection to the theme (I'd like to say I worked it out without reading the explanation but unfortunately that would be a slight untruth :D ).

Fab take on theme & lovely lighting - a great still life!

Definitely 'person' rather than 'people', Bob, but what the heck - it's a cracking portrait, lovely light, great eye contact and a face full of character. I really like it (y)
Stark and Over are two clever takes on the themes and I particularly like the arrangement and the warm light in Over. Your processing to drop the background details has worked well to isolate the basket and make it prominent in the scene.

Had a busy week and got left behind.........

Week 5.....age. This week is the 50th anniversary of my childhood stars "The Herbs" featuring "Parsley the Lion".....hence, Parsley's age.

There's a little quiz involved......who can give me the name of a Yorkshire town hidden in the montage?

p2745787582-4.jpg

The rose and the watch were shot using Heinz Kilfitt's 300mm f/4 Pan-Tele-Killar (1960 vintage lens)

Last edited:

Week 5.....age. This week is the 50th anniversary of my childhood stars "The Herbs" featuring "Parsley the Lion".....hence, Parsley's age.

There's a little quiz involved......who can give me the name of a Yorkshire town hidden in the montage?

p2745787582-4.jpg

The rose and the watch were shot using Heinz Kilfitt's 300mm f/4 Pan-Tele-Killar (1960 vintage lens)

Hawes

p2745787582-4.jpg

how about Scarborough?

Herb, watch, Anniversary and a guess
Simon and Garfunkel's rendition of "Scarborough Fair" contained the chorus line;
Parsley, Sage Rosemary and Thyme........(Parsley's age, rose, Mary and time)

Back