Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Roule Duke said:
Having a bit of a dilemma... i was set on getting a D7000, but after playing with a 7D in a shop earlier i'm beginning to lean towards the Canon.

I current own a bridge camera, so i have no current lenses to consider, i'll be starting from fresh. I'm under no illusion that it will be a huge jump up from a bridge camera, but i know i would get bored of a entry level DSLR very quickly, IMO it isnt much more than what i've currently got. Im looking at it as a long term investment.

The 7D's FPS, processing power, all mag body and advanced FS is all very appealing. Haven't held a D7000 but the 7D felt great to hold, i was extremely impressed with the built quality, it was outstanding.

Motorsports is one of the many things i'll be using it for, the 7D is ideally suited to such tasks.

Got another 2 weeks until pay day to decide which one to go for... decisions, decisions....!

A good camera in good light otherwise it's a p.o.s. (IMHO)

I was deciding between the 7D and D7000, both have their pros & cons.
In the end I went down the D7000 route as I'm happy with the IQ and high ISO performance of the D7000.

Canon has better movie recording, but no continuous AF dirtying recording. It also has a better buffer for high fps shooting.

The Nikon has a great sensor and superior 39-point AF points.

Nikon is also significantly cheaper £630 vs £950

Riz :)

Have just got my 7D on Friday from HDEW for £735 including a three year warranty. Am only just starting to get my head round all of the different focus modes, definately a massive step up from my my 20D.

Im sure i would very happy with either, If i was bought the 7D it would have to be a grey import which would be very close to the price of the D7000 from the UK.

I wish i didnt have 2 weeks to consider my options, i would love to have to make a decision and just choose one. The constant reading of reviews is taking its toll :eek:

Craft said:
I think thats somewhat harsh.

imho getting exposure right is more critical than "good light". If you underexpose it'll cause noise.

Thanks for that I'll give it another go & will try my best to get the exposure correct. :-/

That's funny, I got some cracking shots of my daughter dancing on several different occasions, always in very poor light, action shots etc. Could you be suffering form user error? :exit:

Roule Duke said:
I was under the impression that the D7000 was great in low light due to the great ISO performance.

Was referring to the 7D. Sorry

Chris O said:
That's funny, I got some cracking shots of my daughter dancing on several different occasions, always in very poor light, action shots etc. Could you be suffering form user error? :exit:

Must be user error. I stand corrected.

It is interesting that you talk about "good light" rather than the ISO used, because I agree that "good light" will help any camera, but FWIW I have an album of images from my 7D in light 3 stops down from "Sunny 16" at ISOs from 100 to 12,800, shot raw and processed in Lightroom and DPP without edits. The album is here....

https://picasaweb.google.com/106744...gCOfcx4TmlvHTBA#slideshow/5774945807424749490

I recommend viewing on a full HD monitor or greater and in full screen in your browser (press F11) in order that the samples are displayed at full size and not reduced to fit the screen.

You can draw your own conclusions about when the image quality drops below an acceptable standard.

Im sure i would very happy with either, If i was bought the 7D it would have to be a grey import which would be very close to the price of the D7000 from the UK.

I wish i didnt hadve 2 weeks to consider my options, i would love to have to make a decision and just choose one. The constant reading of reviews is taking its toll :eek:

Considering both the D7000 and 7D myself, especially as a grey import almost negates any price difference.

Which one are you leaning towards at the moment? I seem to be changing my mind every five minutes.

I'm not sure to be honest the 7D appears to have a better AF system which for motorsport would be handy and also a better build (weather-sealing) which would be good for landscapes.

However I'm not sure about the low light performance of the 7D compared to the D7000.

tdodd said:
It is interesting that you talk about "good light" rather than the ISO used, because I agree that "good light" will help any camera, but FWIW I have an album of images from my 7D in light 3 stops down from "Sunny 16" at ISOs from 100 to 12,800, shot raw and processed in Lightroom and DPP without edits. The album is here....

https://picasaweb.google.com/106744949286510089237/7DISO2?authkey=Gv1sRgCOfcx4TmlvHTBA#slideshow/5774945807424749490

I recommend viewing on a full HD monitor or greater and in full screen in your browser (press F11) in order that the samples are displayed at full size and not reduced to fit the screen.

You can draw your own conclusions about when the image quality drops below an acceptable standard.

Sorry but I'm not at all interested in looking.
My focus is on my images & making them better.
Maybe I got a poor copy or you got a good one.
I know a lot of people with this camera & all & I mean all have come to the same conclusion. Above 800 ISO. Forget it.
Oh by the way I only shoot wildlife.

Having a bit of a dilemma... i was set on getting a D7000, but after playing with a 7D in a shop earlier i'm beginning to lean towards the Canon.

I current own a bridge camera, so i have no current lenses to consider, i'll be starting from fresh. I'm under no illusion that it will be a huge jump up from a bridge camera, but i know i would get bored of a entry level DSLR very quickly, IMO it isnt much more than what i've currently got. Im looking at it as a long term investment.

The 7D's FPS, processing power, all mag body and advanced FS is all very appealing. Haven't held a D7000 but the 7D felt great to hold, i was extremely impressed with the built quality, it was outstanding.

Motorsports is one of the many things i'll be using it for, the 7D is ideally suited to such tasks.

Got another 2 weeks until pay day to decide which one to go for... decisions, decisions....!

Don't forgot that you will need a decent lens to take advantage of both the Nikon and canon cameras you've listed above, THe CAnon 70-200 f4 is a brilliant lens, I own one myself and only shoot motorsport and its brilliant, they.can be found on here and on mob photographic for around £400 used.
If that takes you over your budget I would definitely advise to go with the glass over the body.
I own a 20d which is ten years old tech wise but paired with the lens I mentioned above it takes cracking pictures
Link my favorurite pictures I've taken in the last year.
www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=457719

Sorry but I'm not at all interested in looking.
My focus is on my images & making them better.
Maybe I got a poor copy or you got a good one.
I know a lot of people with this camera & all & I mean all have come to the same conclusion. Above 800 ISO. Forget it.
Oh by the way I only shoot wildlife.
I don't know the standards required for your target audience, but here are a couple of my "wildlife" photos from my 7D at 3200 ISO....

This one is cropped and tweaked in Lightroom.
20100429_155333_7072_LR.jpg

This is a straight raw conversion with no adjustments.
20100429_160344_7085_LR.jpg

I won't pretend they're as good as shots in better light, but for my needs they're good enough to enjoy.

i got a photo of my cat that i am happy with what does everyone think open to CC cheers

8342624165_07f2148b04_c.jpg

A good camera unless you can't read or understand a manual, or have limited knowledge of the basics of exposure. (IMNSHO)

A good camera unless you can't read or understand a manual, or have limited knowledge of the basics of exposure. (IMNSHO)

It's more than that though. Some people think that having a high resolution sensor (high pixel density) is a licence to crop heavily and, while you might get away with it for low ISO well exposed pictures, that luxury diminishes as the ISO goes up. But also for heavier cropping you need sharper images, so that means better shooting skills and better glass too - unless they were excellent to begin with.

So apart from good exposure technique you need to pick the right shutter speed for control of shake/blur, the right aperture to control DOF, lens IQ and diffraction and to make sure your AF is calibrated perfectly and that your focusing and general photography skills are all up to snuff. Cameras with low pixel densities conceal some of these blemishes, even when viewed at 100%, but the 7D and its like don't suffer fools so easily when pixel peeping.

There's also something more that comes out of all this. If you shoot sharp images to begin with then they won't need much more sharpening further down the line. And if you're not increasing sharpening much then you won't be exaggerating noise much either and you won't need in turn to apply a heavy dose of NR which will then rob the image of detail. But, shoot a soft image to begin with, with a bit of noise to boot and by the time you've fixed up one problem you'll only have made the other one worse as well. It's ever decreasing circles.

So good results is about more than just the camera. It's the lens, the light, the photography and the processing all pulling together to achieve the best results technically. And then you've got all that creative/artistic aspect to consider on top of that. The camera is just a tiny part of the overall equation. Sure there are some bad copies out there, just as there are bad lenses, bad photographers and bad light. Just make sure the blame for disappointment is laid at the appropriate door.

Don't forgot that you will need a decent lens to take advantage of both the Nikon and canon cameras you've listed above, THe CAnon 70-200 f4 is a brilliant lens, I own one myself and only shoot motorsport and its brilliant, they.can be found on here and on mob photographic for around £400 used.
If that takes you over your budget I would definitely advise to go with the glass over the body.
I own a 20d which is ten years old tech wise but paired with the lens I mentioned above it takes cracking pictures
Link my favorurite pictures I've taken in the last year.
www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=457719

Yeah i understand the importance of good glass, that Canon lens looks pretty well priced. It's within budget too.

Cracking photo's, nice IQ. Cant wait to get a decent lens for motorsport, managed to get some nice results last year at Brands with my bridge camera, but i was certainly aware of its shortcomings whilst shooting.

chrism_scotland said:
I'm not sure to be honest the 7D appears to have a better AF system which for motorsport would be handy and also a better build (weather-sealing) which would be good for landscapes.

As far as I'm aware the 7D is not weather sealed but the D7000 is.

I had a tinker with my Bro's D7000 and quite liked it, but I found it harder to do basics like change the single focus point, but them I'm used to my 7D. I'd say go to a camera shop & play with both and see how they feel!

Original Poster said:
I just got an RC-6 remote and can't for the life of me get it to work!

Any ideas?

Stupid question but are you pointing it the right way and directly at the sensor? Also I have issues with mine if the camera goes into sleep mode the RC 6 doesn't work, I've also pointed it the wrong way round :bonk:

Original Poster said:
I just got an RC-6 remote and can't for the life of me get it to work!

Any ideas?

You have to put it in self timer mode

I don't know the standards required for your target audience, but here are a couple of my "wildlife" photos from my 7D at 3200 ISO....

This one is cropped and tweaked in Lightroom.
20100429_155333_7072_LR.jpg

This is a straight raw conversion with no adjustments.
20100429_160344_7085_LR.jpg

I won't pretend they're as good as shots in better light, but for my needs they're good enough to enjoy.

Fantastic pictures, impressive IQ. Colchester zoo by any chance? Where in Essex are you based?

According to Canon's website:

"Robust construction

The EOS 7D has been designed for use in the most demanding situations. A magnesium-alloy body is sealed against dust and moisture. An EOS Integrated Cleaning System ensures the camera’s sensor stays dust free for optimum image quality."​

and

"The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust and weather resistant"​

Added to that the lens's need to be too...

So not weather tight but getting closer than XXd range... I think :D

Last edited:
I used a 600mm L is usm pretty much all the time, sometimes with a 1.4x t.c.

& my results were only acceptable when the ISO was below 800.
I'm pretty confident I know how to muddle through exposure having shot countless weddings & spent about 5 yrs working in a studio.
Never mind, I don't have a problem anymore so onwards & upwards I guess.

According to Canon's website:

"Robust construction

The EOS 7D has been designed for use in the most demanding situations. A magnesium-alloy body is sealed against dust and moisture. An EOS Integrated Cleaning System ensures the camera’s sensor stays dust free for optimum image quality."​

and

"The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust and weather resistant"​

Added to that the lens's need to be too...

So not weather tight but getting closer than XXd range... I think :D

Ok so I did a quick search as I've had my 7D out in the rain and found this It's definitely durable! But I also found this :help:

The "How noisy is your 7D?" thread over on FMForums....

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1143454/0

I quite like this comment from the fifth post....

There are far more noisy users out there than there are noisy cameras. I love it when some photographers claim ISO levels of 800 and above are "unusable", so they intentionally use a lower setting, then complain that their photos aren't sharp because of motion blur. :)

Dark Knight said:
Read his reply 5 posts down, he admits he made a mistake (y)

Still very vague :LOL:

I looked on Canons website last night and compared with the 5D mark iii, that says in the physical specs that it's weather & dust sealed, no mention on the 7D!

Hi everyone, ive decided the 7D is the camera i want for motorsports (upgrading from 550d). I will be using it with a sigma 120 - 300 f2.8 OS.

My question is, where is the best place to buy a UK model ? Or a model stocked in the UK that canon will look at/repair once the sellers warranty has expired?

For my money it would be HDEW Cameras, who supplied my 5D3 last year.

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-7d-digital-slr-camera-body-494-p.asp

I don't think it will be UK stock, but with a VAT invoice supplied (on request) the warranty should be honoured by Canon UK for the first year and then you get a further two years third party warranty after that.

A bit OT Tim, but have you actually received a VAT invoice from HDEW, and what exactly did it say? VAT %, amount £, and VAT registration number?

I did receive the VAT receipt and it had a VAT number which checks out.

20130116_140500_05_LR.jpg

Subsequent to placing my order the price dropped by £70 within a couple of days and they refunded the difference without quibble.

Last edited:
Back