Carl's 2016 TP52 Challenge **Completed**

Week 16 - Vast ... as in knowledge. (Warning: The link between the person depicted and the subject title is highly questionable).

Vast by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Hi Carl, I like it its different and you have put some thought into it, will certainly stand out this week (y)

Very interesting image, loads to look and and as the others said, your expression makes it, I find the finger over your right eye a tad distracting but very good take on the theme non-the-less.

Hi Carl, I like it its different and you have put some thought into it, will certainly stand out this week (y)
Thank you Allan - just wish I had some willing models to hand.

Have to agree with Allan, good effort Carl, your expression works well and the inclusion of masses of PP certainly does the trick for the theme :)
Thank you DK. This one is a composite of five images ... the largest I've done to date.

Vast, works for me; quite a moody submission with lost of interest and great expression/eye contact. Cheers.
Thank you Andy - wonder if anyone's deceived into thinking there's intelligence beyond those eyes ?!?

Very interesting image, loads to look and as the others said, your expression makes it, I find the finger over your right eye a tad distracting but very good take on the theme non-the-less.
Thanks Chris - I see what you mean. Would have been better if the fingers were holding the frames off to the side.

Like it a lot some lovely colour in there well PP'D:)
Thanks Walter. The only bright thing in the image is the colour ... certainly not the model.

Really like that Carl brilliantly thought out your expression helps make the image even stronger well done

Well I really like that. A good capture of you (selfies are hard!) and I think your photoshoppery skills are excellent! Overall the image/picture is an absolute cracker, it works perfectly for the theme for me and it is definitely one of the standout images for the theme this week :clap:

Bravo!

I like that Carl, nicely interpreted and processed, there is lots happening there that's for sure!

Really like that Carl brilliantly thought out your expression helps make the image even stronger well done
Thank you Mark. My only other option was a land/sky scape and I just couldn't compete with some fabulous shots posted by others.

Well I really like that. A good capture of you (selfies are hard!) and I think your photoshoppery skills are excellent! Overall the image/picture is an absolute cracker, it works perfectly for the theme for me and it is definitely one of the standout images for the theme this week :clap:Bravo!
Thanks Paul - You're right about selfies being hard to take - just a shame that I've had so much practise at it ... would much prefer a willing model but those are hard to find.

I like that Carl, nicely interpreted and processed, there is lots happening there that's for sure!
Thank you Cobra. Lots happening ... apart from anything meaningful in the cranium area.

I love this one Carl ....I think it's brilliant ....very well done to you for thinking of it and then putting such a fabulous image together :clap::clap:
Thank you Susie. Kept me occupied with pencil drawings and looking up formulas & equations on the net.

Carl, such a good image for Horizontal, love the colours and the storytelling.

Vast is a cool image, first off I have no idea how to do something like that, very wizardish.

Last edited:
Another wonderfully creative response - I love the rich colours in this and the masses of detail get lost in.
Thank you Emma - for creative read quirky!

Carl, such a good image for Horizontal, love the colours and the storytelling. Vast is a cool image, first off I have no idea how to do something like that, very wizardish.
Thanks Lee. A testimony of the many idle hours spent in front of the computer learning PS.

I like your horizontal, its bright and colourful and the horizontal and vertical work well.

Oh it's him again.

Yes that says Vast knowledge with studious look over the reading glasses. Very nicely put together, good light & colour. :clap:

Last edited:
Hi Carl, There's a lot going on in but you have blended it together well. Very clever idea for the theme.
Thank you Steve.

I like your horizontal, its bright and colourful and the horizontal and vertical work well.
Thanks Steve.

Oh it's him again. Yes that says Vast knowledge with studious look over the reading glasses. Very nicely put together, good light & colour. :clap:
I know, I know ... even I'm craving for a respite ... bring back those humble clothes pegs.

The items around your head and the textures all work really well to illustrate the theme, Carl, and your expression is perfect, especially the way you're peering over your glasses like a teacher or professor. Very good (y)
Thank you Andrea. They say looks can be deceptive - anyone who didn't know me would look at this and think I was intelligent hah!

Very good Carl :)

Very good Carl :)
Thank you PHP.

Not sure how you thought of that one Carl but it's very well done, nicely framed and a super black background.
Thanks Susie. People think that the life of a model is all fun and leisure. Well, how wrong could they be; this one sits on the bookcase in my office propped up with a metal spike up it's ... um ... nether regions and then when given a momentary respite from that discomfort, is then required to model for a shoot involving the use of a noose. And, if I may add, all that for less than the national minimum wage. It's outrageous I tell ya.

I like both shots for Rough, Carl. My preference would be for the second though as it's just more my kinda shot and is processed spot on. Like how it appears to be taken from the (rough) sea too :)

Both good photos for rough Carl, I'm not going to pick one because they are so different and both work very well for the theme. I like the way you have processed both.

Hi Carl.
Vast - Great image, and one that didn't need an explanation imo, so obviously told the story.
Rough - Whilst the first shot is well taken, the second one is my pick, because it works so well for the theme. Not sure on the drop shadows though...

I like both shots for Rough, Carl. My preference would be for the second though as it's just more my kinda shot and is processed spot on. Like how it appears to be taken from the (rough) sea too :)
Thanks Ian. I was lucky to come to part of the walkway that projected slightly toward the sea and so was able to look back for the shot.

Both good photos for rough Carl, I'm not going to pick one because they are so different and both work very well for the theme. I like the way you have processed both.
Thank you Chris. I noticed that the majority of my offerings to TP52 have been indoor so trying now to counterbalance with some outdoor shots.

Ooooh you found some rough sea, lovely. Is that person really standing there, it looks very dangerous. My first thought was rough sea .....woke up this morning and it's like a millpond! Two excellent choices for the topic.
Thank you Susie. Yes, that gentleman was out there timing his walk between the waves crashing against the sea wall. Hadn't realised just how dangerous it is to walk in those conditions - the sea was throwing up quite large stones from the beach below.

Hi Carl.
Vast - Great image, and one that didn't need an explanation imo, so obviously told the story. Rough - Whilst the first shot is well taken, the second one is my pick, because it works so well for the theme. Not sure on the drop shadows though...
Thanks Tim. A bit more practice needed methinks - shame I'm not closer to the beach but the sea is so much more interesting when enraged like it was on that day.

The rough sea shot for me the lynching although an excellent idea is not quite working the rope looks a little odd not sure why maybe the way it dissapears into the neck.
The rough sea is an excellent well caught scene the inclusion of the rather crazy person makes it even better my only problem with it is the PP I know you like to tinker but less is sometimes more, not sure what you have done to it but it looks a little hazy maybe

The rough sea shot for me the lynching although an excellent idea is not quite working the rope looks a little odd not sure why maybe the way it dissapears into the neck.
The rough sea is an excellent well caught scene the inclusion of the rather crazy person makes it even better my only problem with it is the PP I know you like to tinker but less is sometimes more, not sure what you have done to it but it looks a little hazy maybe

Thanks Allan. I know what you mean about the rope in the first - I've corrected and made it more realistic in my final version
6o0ggj.jpg
. I also understand the issue with rough sea - I took it with a warm setting which just didn't look right so tried to recover from that plus work some more impact into it ....:(

Very inventive take on rough in your first shot, Carl but I love the second. The line of the fence leads through the shot so well. That person being on the walkway is quite terrifying - certainly brings home the power of the sea. The haziness doesn't bother me at all - it maybe feels like sea mist or spray in the air.

Hi Carl, I think you've done brilliantly with these two Rough shots. I love the idea of the first and also your lighting is so well controlled - a super job - even though it looks like you're "just" using naturally available light. I'd have looked to up the exposure by a stop or two, personally, which might make me want to shift to artificial light (i.e. flash) as simply upping ISO or increasing shutter speed is going to lighten that background. Still, it's really well done - great job (y)

The second rough shot is superb. :clap: Really well caught and the person makes it. I too am not a fan of the haziness but for me that's secondary behind a really well thought out composition with good leading lines and point of interest. I might have cropped out a bit of top, left and right just to focus right in on the guy and the wave which is what it's all about - maybe even a portrait orientation to match the direction of the wave? Really super take though!

Rough, that's a cracking image Carl, loads of detail, nice and contrasty too.
BTW how much did it cost you to get the person to stand there? :D

Back