Carl's 2016 TP52 Challenge **Completed**

Hi Carl, nice find indeed :wideyed:

Spiky works really well, looks very grainy not sure if thats the PP you have done, i like it either way

Your spiky shot is brilliant Carl - love the lighting on it and it must have been really hard to capture that movement. Abandoned is wonderful too with its darkness and all those textures...though it is making my skin creep a little!

conversion suits, it certainly has seen better days, if it could only talk....
Hi Carl - that's really neat. I like the composition / positioning and processing works a treat too. You could pull the white point or exposure up a fair bit if you'd wanted less of a low-key look but I'm guessing that was your intention to accentuate the abandonment? It's well put together - nice one.
Well spotted, Carl. A subject out of place and well past its best. I like the dark processing too; it underlines the decay.
Fits the theme Carl. When I was taking my living world shot we came across similar abandonments, mattresses that were abandoned in the woods. It seems to me it was more effort to drag the mattress into the woods than to take it to the local council dump, you have to ask why...
Blimey, what a sight. Nice find, nicely shot & processed.
What a great find Carl ...although its a :bat: to whoever dumped it. It really works well ...perfect processing and perfect for the theme too.
Really moody, creepy photo. I like it! :)
Hi Carl, nice find indeed :wideyed: Spiky works really well, looks very grainy not sure if thats the PP you have done, i like it either way
Your spiky shot is brilliant Carl - love the lighting on it and it must have been really hard to capture that movement. Abandoned is wonderful too with its darkness and all those textures...though it is making my skin creep a little!

Thank you all for your generous comments. So no takers then for the easy chair .... upholstered in a colour of choice, free delivery ?!? :)

Great find for the re-shoot, and great processing (y)

Really like your 'spiky' shot, lots of movement and atmosphere.
The old chair certainly fits the theme for abandoned. I like the processing for this one I think it really helps set the scene.

Really like your 'spiky' shot, lots of movement and atmosphere. The old chair certainly fits the theme for abandoned. I like the processing for this one I think it really helps set the scene.
Thank you Liz

Excellent! Love the processing! The image is good and the POV makes the feeling of decay! Does anyone else see a sad face in the arm backrest area? No just me!!
Thanks Richard. Nobody's mentioned it but you got me looking now ... ghostly !!

Week 11 - Artificial
I'm lagging behind a little - helping (skivvying) with my daughter's bathroom re-fit so tight for time. In stripping out the tiled plasterboard, we came across a section of plywood that had been tiled over - it looked like this when stripped down:
nznbdw.jpg
That added to an image of coloured drinking straws which looked like this
16tgzn.jpg
. Merging the two images together in PS produced this - an abstract of several elements of an artificial nature (straws, plywood, tile adhesive and also a small plastic waste pipe stuck in the ply). Probably "marmite" but I like the effect and colours.

Straws3 by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Carl, I absolutely LOVE that.
It screams "Gallery Wall" to me.
Really well done.

Very nice composite Carl, lovely colours and textures (y)

I like that carl. An inspired eye to put those two images together to come up with a composite like that. :clap:
Thanks Tim - I was a little surprised at the result I have to say.
Carl, I absolutely LOVE that. It screams "Gallery Wall" to me. Really well done.
Thank you Viv - toilet wall would be more appropriate given the source of one of the contributing images ha ha.
Very nice composite Carl, lovely colours and textures (y)
Thanks Cobra
Really like that, Carl (y). I've no idea why it works so well, and can't image the thought process that put the two images together, but it really does work. Great idea, excellent execution, and a result that I could easily see hanging on a wall somewhere. Great stuff :clap: :clap:
Thanks Andrea. I know exactly what you're thinking about the thought process - "who in their right mind?" ...... and there lies the answer - the result of a warped mind. :)

Very nice abstract, I thought it might be an album cover when I first saw it. As others have said very creative use of the two photos.

Cleverly done, and very original.
Thanks Clive - a tad unusual

I had to hop into this one Carl because it was intriguing me as to which topic it was for......now I know :) and I love it .....the colours are brilliant, it looks illuminated. A super abstract image, well done to you :clap:
Thank you Susie - not obvious without the write-up but I was struggling to find something a bit different.

Very nice abstract, I thought it might be an album cover when I first saw it. As others have said very creative use of the two photos.
Thanks Chris - not necessarily creative, just weird maybe ha ha.

:agree: ... You are a very talented man

skivvying? skiving, I'd call it.

Thanks for sharing. (y)

Wow...that is wonderful - very artistic and completely engaging. You are a very talented man - I can only imagine the resulting disaster if I tried to merge straws and plasterbord...!
Thank you Emma - that's kind of you to say; sadly talent & I never quite got it together but I do acknowledge when it passes me by ... usually at a distance. :LOL:

:agree: ... You are a very talented man. skivvying? skiving, I'd call it. Thanks for sharing. (y)
Ha ha ha - funnily enough I think the guy I'm helping also spells it your way .... to do more with failure in education surely than casting nasturtiums about my work ethic ... :whistle:. Thanks David.

Well that's very interesting, Carl. I think it's a super end image based on a cracking straw shot. Well done for pulling it all together as the result is super. It could also work as camouflage (in a disco!) ;)
Thanks Paul. A bit of an experimental fluke really - playing around in PS and a random thought coming together.

Nicely put together Carl, I would never have guessed they were straws, thanks for showing us the base elements/images, that really helps me get my mind around it - nice one (y)
Thanks DK. A bit zany but Hey! it got the tick.

Week 12 - Personal

Running out of time again so a chance discovery of a colour match between a (stone) heart and red apple set my mind for a quick set-up ... Love of course is very Personal.

Love Apple by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Nicely matched colours as you say Carl. Quite a decent shot. The hot spot does attract the attention, was that your intension?
Thanks Tim. I took a few with and without the hot spot and quite liked it in - gave it a point of interest as it were.

Clever idea Carl, works well as is, ( I don't mind the hot spot either)

It works really well Carl the stone is a gorgeous colour and an excellent choice for the theme, it looks great on Flickr. The light spot looks fine to me, I think it can be a mistake to take all the shinyness out, many things are naturally shiny and reflective, and removing every ounce in a photo can make it look very flat, that's my opinion anyway, not that it's worth much :)

Last edited:
Clever idea Carl, works well as is, ( I don't mind the hot spot either)
Thank you Mr.M.

Lovely strong reds, Carl, and a great match of colours and textures between the apple and the stone. The light spot and shadows add shape to the heart (y)
Thank you Andrea - the shots I took without the light reflection did seem too flat.

It works really well Carl the stone is a gorgeous colour and an excellent choice for the theme, it looks great on Flickr. The light spot looks fine to me, I think it can be a mistake to take all the shinyness out, many things are naturally shiny and reflective, and removing every ounce in a photo can make it look very flat, that's my opinion anyway, not that it's worth much :)
Thank you Susie. I agree with you wholeheartedly - it did look very flat without. On the contrary Susie, as one of the regular and consistent reviewers, I value your opinion highly. I'm very appreciative of anyone who takes the trouble to comment. :clap:

Hi Carl, that's a really nice composition and the lighting works well for the shadows and texture/shape detail. I'm a bit undecided on the highlight - it's there and it would be very hard to control it perfectly, so part of me thinks you may as well make a "thing" of it - which you've done effectively. Well done, it's a simple but really pleasing image which I could imagine printed on a canvas and hung up :clap:

Very well seen and photographed, the colour and texture of the apple are perfect for the stone. As Paul says I can see that hung up somewhere.

I'm a bit undecided on the highlight - it's there and it would be very hard to control it perfectly, so part of me thinks you may as well make a "thing" of it - which you've done effectively.
Thanks Paul. I can see that it could be a distraction but it does help define/accentuate the contours of the heart. It seemed to me better with than without ... not that I'm the best judge of these things.

Very well seen and photographed, the colour and texture of the apple are perfect for the stone. As Paul says I can see that hung up somewhere.
Thank you Chris. Not sure how/why the association occurred to me ... quirky really.

Nicely taken and great colour.
Thanks Clive.

Very clever idea Carl really like it. The colours are great. I like the hot spot as it does draw your attention to the shape of the stone

Thanks Paul. I can see that it could be a distraction but it does help define/accentuate the contours of the heart. It seemed to me better with than without ... not that I'm the best judge of these things.

I disagree with the bit in bold btw - your compositions are always strong and well thought out - I think you've done well here and sorry if my comments suggested otherwise!

Back