weekly Chevin's 52 for 2022 .... Week 42 ... Precision

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
No
Thanks for looking ... this is my first 52 ... feedback, comments & critique ... gracefully accepted

Thanks ... I'll look at what the linking issue is ... this should prove fun as I'm not that tech savvy ... I know how to drive them but the fangly stuff in the background is a great unknown

Nice shot.
You need to copy the link with the number in the top right of your post here (ie you're second post on this page with the actual photo - the link you need to copy is "#2" and then on the main submission page, type "Link" or "Linky" or similar, then highlight that word and choose the link icon from the toolbar in the post edit (the one that looks like a chain), and paste your copied link in (y)

Nice shot, and ticks the theme. I would prefer a bit more space around the items, personally.

If you get stuck with the linking, post a comment in the discussion thread and several people will help you out.

I would prefer a bit more space around the items, personally.
Sadly this is the limit of my black drape ... I feel another new thing incoming

Sadly this is the limit of my black drape ... I feel another new thing incoming
I bought a few metres of black velvet from a local fabric shop years ago - cheap and very effective: backdrop, prop and darkroom blackout all in one.

Last edited:
I see you finally cracked it (y)
No need to hyperlink back to the front page, as that's where people go to get to your image.
When you take the hyperlink from the post number, ( by right clicking it) you will get a TP URL as you are linking to a TP page, not a specific image.
( yes I saw your post, I can read deleted posts)

A good idea and nicely lit. I would have cropped into the right of the notebook a little to lose the thin black border.

Lighting and background work well
Thanks Bebop for the comment ... I'm working to improve on my staged shots and lighting is a new thing for me.

A good idea and nicely lit. I would have cropped into the right of the notebook a little to lose the thin black border.
Cheers for the comment ... I see what that would do, my other thought was maybe making the borders symetrical

A nice overhead setup shot. That rodent looks like an old Apple wireless mouse.
Cheers Stan for the comment ... yep an old & defunct mighty mouse, I never throw stuff away so I have a graveyard drawer with all sorts of oddball bits.

New fangled modern rodents...
Give me an old mechanical IBM PS2 mouse that you could take apart and maintain. None of this optical rubbish ;)
A well taken shot, with good strong blacks and white whites (y)

@Chevin The 52 is great for getting to grips with new things, I think, and I often end up outside of my comfort zone. I am also fairly new to lighting and have had a play with it this week :)

New fangled modern rodents...
Give me an old mechanical IBM PS2 mouse that you could take apart and maintain. None of this optical rubbish ;)
A well taken shot, with good strong blacks and white whites (y)
They were heavy things but worked very well, still got fluff and muck in them.

I think that the lighting is very good and adding the notebook was genius. Well done.

Sorry the angle of the keyboard puts me off. Just draws my eye. Good lighting though.

I've come up with this offering for this weeks 52 theme.

It's an "Old Fashioned" cocktail from "Old Forester" bourbon made to a recipe from an old UKBG (United Kingdom Bartenders Guild) recipe book.

Hope it hits the theme .... apologies, in advance, for any lighting errors ... I'm slowly learning

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mXiqoY]P1150021 by Chevin, on Flickr[/URL]

No need for apologies. We are all learning all the time and I really like how you've lit the scene.

I really love the warm tones in this image. Lots of olds in there, so definitely on theme. A really pleasing image. I guess your reward for your effort in setting it up, was to drink it afterwards? :)

I like that! And multiple "olds", well done.
Thanks for that Paul

Works for me. I think the lighting is excellent.
Thank you Peter

I really love the warm tones in this image. Lots of olds in there, so definitely on theme.
Thank you for the comments

I guess your reward for your effort in setting it up, was to drink it afterwards?
Of cause ... snappers perks in my book

Very nice. Thanks for making my "dry january" worse. :D

Looks like a drink that I would like (being an old guy :) ). I like the composition, you're having the difficulty that I have with when trying to capture reflective objects like ice. I think yours is better then mine would have been if I tried to get the same shot.

That's a very tasty picture, it's not a drink I've tried another one to add to my ever-growing list. Can I just how you managed to get the drink to glow like that. I really like the effect it makes the drink look very inviting.

You did a far better job than I would of managed, very good lighting and it looks so peaceful like.

Thanks Dave ... I wanted to covey the feeling of being relaxed in front of an open fire in a comfy armchair

Looks like a drink that I would like (being an old guy :) )

Thanks for the comment Bill ... as on old guy myself ... I do like the odd tipple ;)

Can I just how you managed to get the drink to glow like that.

Thanks for the comment Simon ... I used a tea-light behind the glass as I wanted to have a glow reflecting & refracting through the ice. I also used another tea-light blue-tacked behind the bottle

Nice warm shot. Nowt wrong with the lighting in my book

Thanks for the comment Tim

Good shot, I do love an old fashioned too! liking the diagonal in the middle of the mixer and then the position of the book too, all helps to tell the story. Also like the way you've lit this with the warm tones and the wood backgrounds great. My only crit would be it's a little (only very little) tight on the crop for me. But over all a great image for the theme

Back