Cobra, Rest in Peace

Oops missed that sorry. I think that is a lovely plan.
No need to apologise and sorry if you thought I was responding to you directly. Because I merged several threads you might not have seen the first post, I just wanted to make everyone aware of it. Needless to say we are struggling a bit with this situation.

What absolutely awful news - so sad - he will undoubtedly be missed :(

My condolences to Chris' family and friends, wherever they are.

I am absolutely devastated to hear this this very sad news.
I knew Chris both on here and personally. spent many fun filled days visiting zoos, great guy with a wonderful sense of humour.
RIP Chris will miss you

Dreadful news. RIP Chris and condolences to all your loved ones.

Last edited:
So sad.
Chris was a great supporter of my thread ' Photo's / General / A Small World.
On 18th Mar, when I said it would be my last post on that thread for a while.
Chris said:

" Nicely done as always Roy!
Enjoy your break, and I'll see you on the other side "

Am I reading more into that than I should ?

R.I.P Chris, I ( and many others) will miss your avuncular moderating.

Very sad news, RIP Chris.

I'm quite upset reading this, I saw the banner flash up and only now saw this thread.
I had quite a few comedy spars with Chris on some threads on got quite a few short bans
and then on PMs had some interesting catch up chats that sort of balanced the karma.

I kind of cannot get round to understanding those things wont happen and an era has truly passed with the man.

:-(

I’d done my photo and posted up before I discovered the sad news. Only been on the thread for a couple of years but really enjoyed the weekly challenge, making me a better photographer, and I’d like to pay tribute to him for giving that to me.

Very sad to hear of Chris' passing, I only knew him as a moderator on TP where he was firm, but fair and from his postings on the various forums, I gained the impression that he was very much like that in the other areas in his life.

So sorry to hear this bad news. Rest in Peace Chris.

Sorry if I seem a little late to the party - was away from my office yesterday after hearing the news, and honestly, couldn't compose myself enough to try and write anything coherent on a bloody phone...

Over the 15+ years i've been first a member, then a moderator on here, Chris was a constant friend, mentor on the moderation side in the early days, and sounding board throughout my time on here. As some of you are aware, I've a "typically yorkshire" attitude and my messages on all the incarnations of this forum have had ongoing threads where I basically "vented" over one transgression or another - where he "talked me down off the ledge" multiple times - i'm sure a few members on here are realising that they owe their continued existance on here to Chris...

But he was much more than that - he was a mainstay of organising meetups - the mid-winter trips to zoo's spring to mind - but also was behind a lot of the TP Meets - it's to my shame that in both cases I was unable to make it "darn sarf" to attend due to other ties.

As to general "being around the forum" - look no further than the message counts (although I seem to remember those MAY have been tweaked at some point) but more tellingly the reaction score - almost double almost everyone else on the list...

And of course, when TP was in danger of closing a couple of years ago - Chris was instantly "on the case" in terms of keeping things going, to be joined by @sirch and @lindsay our current benign dictatorship ;)

So, when I heard the news it's fair to say I was actually pretty much stopped in my tracks - the loss of a good friend and work colleague of such long standing is never going to be an easy thing.

But we've also got a good team still here - and, I'm sure we'll cope - hard as it may be - but I would ask you all to just behave with a little more "decorum" at the moment - we're having it tough keeping going - if people do misbehave, then they should expect us to be firm and decisive - it may often be that there isn't more than one staff member on duty, so initial treatment of any issues may be to lock threads or give temp bans until we can get together to discuss. Please, Please don't put us in that position.

But to end on the important things...

Chris - we're going to miss you - you're going to leave a massive hole in this forum, in this community, and for some of us at least, in our hearts...

@Cobra - Chris.
Gone too Soon.

oh so sorry to hear this news rip and sincere condolences to family and friends

So sorry to hear this, especially as it appears to have been so unexpected. It certainly emphasises the point that you should make the most of every day as you don't know when things will change.

Sad to her this news, my condolences to the family.
RIP Chris, you will be missed.

Very sad to hear this. Am not here a whole lot but obv his name and role stood out and always came across as a good egg.

Condolences to his family and friends ️

I'm a new member but in this short amount of time Cobra was a constant presence in my thread's perusal. This news came as a shock.
My thoughts are with the family & loved ones during these unimaginable hard times. Rest in Peace.

Such sad news. Met Chris on his mid winter zoo visits and summer national meets. Always remembered people's names and provided assistance so you got the best photo's.
RIP Chris, Sincere condolences to Family and friends. You will be missed.

A sad loss for the site, but an even greater one for his family. RIP.

So sad to hear this news, as the Big Yin puts it he was an inspiration to all on TP and will be sorely missed.

Very unfortunate news. I never knew him personally but have seen lots of his activity on here and know he will be a big miss. Condolences to his family, friends and those who knew him.

Sad to hear this, my thoughts are with his family. I still remembering him welcoming me to the forum many years ago.

Wow what a shock. My thoughts are and condolences to his family.

Chris has given me (and I am sure others) some great advice over the short time I have been on here.

Everytime I use "unsharp mask" in Affinity I will think of him

I can't say anything that has not already been expressed better than I can, just pass my condolences to his family.

Back