weekly Cobra's 2020 cataclysmic catastrophes Week 52 decorate and done!

Good stuff - Ants no2 is my pick of them.

It's number 1 for me, really nice close up, great job

Oh wow the macro of the ant is incredible! Amazing shot. Good find. Bet they were too pleased with you tho!

Good stuff - Ants no2 is my pick of them.
Cheers Dave it was was mayhem once I lifted the paving slab, with them trying to get the eggs underground.

It's number 1 for me, really nice close up, great job
Thanks Jim.
Oh wow the macro of the ant is incredible! Amazing shot. Good find. Bet they were too pleased with you tho!
Thanks Rox and as above they were more than agitated :D

Love the first close up of the fire-ant.
Thanks Alex

Really good macro shot in #1, great details of the ant. Not common up here too cold for them. Only 10˚C here 20˚ in the south.
Cheers Stan. As for the temperatures, its only just been making double figures down here too recently.
What with the high winds etc.

Cracking Macro Chris I really like that. I wonder why Harry has suddenly gone so shy about having his photo taken he's normally so keen :thinking:

The macro is terrific Chris. I had to do a bit of looking up on Fire Ants.
The week wouldn't be the same without seeing Harry, even if he is hidden away.

That's an excellent macro shot. It's certainly ant season at the moment..
Wave for Harry lurking in the bushes :wave:

Hidden
Really good macro shot.
I'm sure you could have got a gob shot.

I'm sure you could have got a gob shot.
Thanks Dom, and if you look closely you can see many of them (inc the 1st) gripping the eggs with their mandibles, I sure that counts :D

Onto week 24 small.
This is a cotoneaster about 10 years old. and about 7 inches high ( above the pot)
As you can see the flowers are giving way to berries so no more work on this, this year.
Its being developed into a semi cascade style.
The eagle eyes among you would have spotted the cable tie. I was re potted a few months ago, root trim and top trim.
It needs support ( anchoring) until the roots are large enough and strong enough to support it, on their own.

048.jpg

Harry went off mumbling something about "Bubble"

So just a close up of a single flower this week ( about 3mm across)

flower.jpg

Last edited:
The bonsai for me I find them fascinating the second has a bit of haloing around the stamen (not sure that’s the correct term) But it’s such a small flower it was perhaps unavoidable

The bonsai for me I find them fascinating
Thanks Allan, yes there are good fun.

the second has a bit of haloing around the stamen
Yep unavoidable I'm afraid, the sun was weird I'm not sure why or how, but it was like that SooC.
I tried to process it out, but to no avail

Oh aye the Bonsai is fab :)

Nice bonsai. I wonder if moving it further away from the background/shallower dof would have made the tree stand out more.

Lovely bonsai.. the cotoneaster in my garden grows pretty rapidly - does this do the same or does the root trim make it grow more slowly?

Lovely bonsai..
Thanks Helen.

or does the root trim make it grow more slowly?
Simple answer yes,
Slightly longer answer is that its a fine balance between roots and foliage to keep the whole thing in check and thriving.
At the same time slowing down the growth rate, stunting it if you like..

( sounds cruel eh? :D )

Both excellent images for Small Chris. The Bonsai is the shot for me. I feel quite drawn to them for some reason :)
Cheers Lee, and yes they are quite addictive, trying "make" or find and buy that one "perfect" tree.
You thought photography was expensive? :D

Bonsai does it for me.

The knife is my favourite so far, the clarity draws you in. Then Fire ants; fascinating creatures.

The knife is my favourite so far, the clarity draws you in. Then Fire ants; fascinating creatures.
Thanks for dropping by and commenting Graham (y)

Fancy a go at the 52 challenge, Graham? you can sign up at any point (y)

Thanks for dropping by and commenting Graham (y)

Fancy a go at the 52 challenge, Graham? you can sign up at any point (y)

I really should, my camera has been sitting around for too long and I miss the photography side of this site. Are there any rules? :)

Small
I'm so used to seeing full sized plants, that I find it hard to imagine that these can be real (I'm not saying they're not :)).

Back