weekly D James TP 52 2018

Bit tight at the top may be? Great sky, good subject, good light, good start to the year.

Woah! you cant drop a shot like that and walk off....what/where etc, really nice btw......

Thanks, It's the clock tower at Roath Park Lake in Cardiff.

Bit tight at the top may be? Great sky, good subject, good light, good start to the year.

Cheers for the feedback, agree with the too tight at the top, in hindsight would have also allowed more of the sky in shot to lighten up a bit.

Cracking shot, but please, at least 1000px on the widest size....

Lovely first image, Dewi, and welcome aboard! Don't be afraid to post your image here in a larger size and a short description so we can get an idea of your thought process or any particular thing you were aiming for or something new you tried. We're a friendly bunch really :)

I agree it would have been nice to see a bit more sky at the top above the tower, but otherwise that's a striking image with strong colours and an unusual design. And what is all that blue stuff anyway? Haven't seen a sky like that for ages!

Great shot Sir, with some good colour, my only nit pick would be, the top of the construction needs more room in the frame.(y)

George.

Hi DJ.
Don't be afraid to post larger images on the thread, as this image really deserves to be seen in all it's glory.
That's a really interesting sight, the blues you've captured are really strong and the image is crisp and sharp.
I really like it.
However, I do think that another of your shots of this on flickr (20171229 Roath Park Lake -2) is actually slightly stronger. Because it uses the rule of thirds for composition and because there is more headroom.
Only minor things really though, the one you chose is (y) too.

Great start, very interesting subject and good colours. It is a little close to the top but if you'd moved it up you would have lost the reflection which is really nice. Well done :D

Wow great shot, however looking on Flickr I see you have 2 others and I like the other landscape version ore, with the tower to one side and a bit more space at the top.

Hi D James and welcome

Excellent start, fab sky, colour and reflection. (y)

Like the first one of the lighthouse a good subject both nice images but a little to tight in the frame needs a little space in it top and bottom

Interesting subject and bang on for the theme; plenty of gates in there:) Difficult light to work with but would lifting the shadows a notch liven it up alittle?

Nice simple pov, a bit tight in the frame, and I agree with John about the difficult light so pretty good considering ... (y)

Tight.. Perhaps, but we don't know what else is about that may have caused this artistic choice.
Dark... Yes perhaps a little, it is recoverable and just an excuse to play with pp :)
That said, you've got great composition, with the symmetry and the tower dead centre viewed through the gate, and the use of the two trees either side to frame the shot works nicely.
(y)

Great symmetry and great light for your gate photo (y)

Thanks Everyone for the comments. Yes crop is tight (again), there was a car parked on the left of the shot and a surprisingly busy road in front which took me down that composition. Will make me try harder on the framing of the next topic :)

Last edited:
Oh I do like that, I love the way the arch is centralised ont he tower behind....nice work...looking forward to seeing more from you "D"......

The lighting looks lovely but the shadows could perhaps do with a bit of lifting. Crop a bit tight too, especially at the top. Still a nice image though.

you have centered it really well, it s nice and symmetrical and the light on the tower behind is great

HI Dewi.

People - I love the character you've captured there.
The shallow DoF has reduced the impact of the chap growing out of his hat, but he's still there.
Given that, I think I may have gone for a tight crop, right into his hat, perhaps giving the image an instagram square crop.

Stark - Fits the theme, caught well though I'm not sure I see mist, more a grey day (which we've all been suffering from for the past month it seems).
Have you considered cloning out the branches intruding from camera left? I'm not sure that they add anything to the shot, and having the subject on it's own might make the stark effect even stronger?
Just a thought / something to play with tbh, it works as is.

People - great character for the theme
Stark - fits the theme well good focus

I too like your people shot, nicely focused, and agree with Tim @LC2 about cropping it tight at the top.

I also agree with him @LC2 about getting rid of that tree LHS if poss .... in the Stark shot.

Otherwise ... good stuff. (y)

People - good shot for the theme, nice and sharp and I also agree that a tighter crop would work better.

Stark - that does look like a well battered tree, image works well for the theme, I also agree with @LC2 about cloning out the branches on the left hand side of the image.

Your people shot is of a great character and well done! But I agree with the above comments that the crop could be a bit tighter at the top.

Stark is a good find, fits the theme!

Week 0 to 3 - Like the clock tower, wonder who has to row over to wind it? - Impressive gate and as other said a little more sky would help. - good characterful peron with people in background. Stark could perhaps have had more contrast to make foreground a sillouette. Looking forward to your week 4.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing about 1 in 7 each week, so this week you got lucky :)

Your image for People is really striking and full of character and details. I agree that you could definitely get away with cropping the extra man off at the top and it would add even more impact to your interesting main subject.
The tree works well for Stark with the bare branches reaching up against the cold grey sky (y)

Back