weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

Love the colours there d00d...they really stand out ... I like it :)

Yes thanks .... black white & red, I may have overdone the contrast a bit but I love contrast ... most of the time. :)

That red looks a bit bright to me David, certainly on theme, like the flowing salt (y)

Yes bright it is ... :)

Nice idea David, slightly deeper DoF as said by others to catch more Rock Salt would make it even better, a good well lit submission though (y)

Yes deeper DoF next time. :)

I'm going to be awkward here and say that I'd quite like to see the full Saxa top as in the first, but with the salt streaming onto the pile, as in the second! I like the bright red and plastic's made from minerals, so definitely not out of place. ;)

Yes pity I didn't get a decent shot of the Saxa top and the pile of salt.

Yep - as elaine said, the whole tube from the first, with the pile from the second,

regards the shutter speed, I'd either say faster to freeze the grains in fall, or slower to render them a bit more of a stream. You're somehwerer in the middle where they just look blurred.

Nice idea, and a bit of movement is a good way to add interest, (y)

I know what you mean about "somewhere in the middle" .. thanks Graham.

And thanks all for your help.

Last edited:
I sometimes wake early thinking of how I'm going to approach this weeks theme [I like to come up with something original if I can].

And I've just learnt about 2 or 3 things I must take into consideration in future. Thanks for the tips.

I'm a bit lacking in equipment: one out of date "entry level" dSLR, no remote flash, special lighting, brolly, macro lens etc.

I've always avoided using flash preferring natural daylight, but I used flash this week ... and I will experiment some more in future. :)

I agree with the comments about combining the different elements. I like the colours though, that's a lovely red

Hi David

I'm late to the comments & can't really add anything to what's already been said ,sorry :coat:

On the subject of equipment...what camera & lens do you have ?
As for flash...I'm just trying to learn it....it's a struggle so I normally stick with good'ole daylight as well.....I've had quite good success using a normal everyday white umbrella to diffuse light & a piece of silver covered card to use as a deflector......all on a shoe string budget...dunno if that helps you or not :thinking::D

I agree with the comments about combining the different elements. I like the colours though, that's a lovely red
Thanks ... proves that Saxa is more photogenic than Cerebos.

Hi David

I'm late to the comments & can't really add anything to what's already been said ,sorry :coat:

On the subject of equipment...what camera & lens do you have ?
As for flash...I'm just trying to learn it....it's a struggle so I normally stick with good'ole daylight as well.....I've had quite good success using a normal everyday white umbrella to diffuse light & a piece of silver covered card to use as a deflector......all on a shoe string budget...dunno if that helps you or not :thinking::D

Hi Lynne ... I've got a Nikon D40 with an 18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 plus I've got a macro converter that I don't bother with.

I never used to think of natural light as "good'ole daylight", I always thought of it as a top photography tool. But yes there is far more to this lighting lark than I though ... hmmmm

HI David, must agree with Blondie here

as for camera and equipment your not on your own I have an old canon 450d no off gun flash or any other extra kit

.... which just goes to show ... no money can buy the creative eye. ;)

Not even :D

1st Mineral for me - love the starkness of it - such a blatant red.

... starkness, blatant red ... yes thanks.

P1000490.JPG

sense.jpg

... the women in my life.

back to the drawing board?

Last edited:
Hi. Lovely cat and nice colours. It's OOF and you've clipped the ear. What settings?

I'm tired so this might explain why I'm not getting #2 :thinking:

Cheers.

Beautiful cat! Think I might be tempted to try cropping it just above the eyes to draw more attention to those amazing whiskers.

SENSE ... smell & taste ... first attempt

sense+wine2.jpg

sense+wine1.jpg

need to get some colour into that wine

Last edited:
Hi. Lovely cat and nice colours. It's OOF and you've clipped the ear. What settings?

I'm tired so this might explain why I'm not getting #2 :thinking:

Cheers.

Just a couple of ideas I was playing with yesterday ....

clipping the oof ears ... the unconventional.

... got a mile of exif info but we'd rather not know,

just as we'd rather not know about the second image.

Beautiful cat! Think I might be tempted to try cropping it just above the eyes to draw more attention to those amazing whiskers.

what! no ears!

My vote goes to the cat but it's oof slightly, nice looking cat tho.

Thanks ... oof's the name of the game.

The cat fits the theme d00d, I would like a plainer background though .....what's the second one....sense of movement :confused:

... the second one? Perfect non sense.

Sense #1 for me. Like this one as I'm a fan of Saul Leiter who really pushed some of his subjects the the edge of the frame.

Looks a little noisy but I like the BG through the glass.

Cheers.

I like the picture but for me it's a little too 'fuzzy', nothing is sharp in the picture and I find my eye drawn...nowhere. I would have liked to see a sharp glass, hand and face with the background oof.

Had another go ....

sense+wine4.jpg

... bit less fuzzy. It's not a very good quality glass but it's the right shape.

Great composition and I like how you've brought the colour of the wine out a bit more.

The repost fits the bill now for me. Now I can see those interesting lines in the bottom left of the glass where the blinds appear compressed together and everything is much clearer (I KNEW my eyesight was OK). Yes, meuch better.

Great composition and I like how you've brought the colour of the wine out a bit more.
I had to add some red paint around the edges.

I agree with your statement.
I still think the 2nd edit, albeit more red, could be done with a bit more.
It's a good photo though and I like the idea.
Yes it would be great to get the wine to glow whilst keeping that silhouette.

Hi d00d I like the first one...not so keen on the edit except for the extra colour in the wine, but a great idea and composition.
thanks ... but the third is sharper.

I like your 3rd wine image David, nice idea(y)
Thanks Judi ... I came up with the idea on Monday morning and wanted to post it before anyone else. I've spent ages trying to get it right but still not totally happy.

The repost fits the bill now for me. Now I can see those interesting lines in the bottom left of the glass where the blinds appear compressed together and everything is much clearer (I KNEW my eyesight was OK). Yes, meuch better.
Thanks Martin .. yes the last attempt is definitely less 'fuzzy'.

Your final edit is certainly the winner here. The composition works well with the stalk of the glass coming from the bottom left corner. Also the hint of the red in the wine just adds a touch of interest into the shot.

Very good idea. I like the brightness of the glass against the diagonals of the blind. Good work!

The 3rd is a lot better for me. Nice distortion through the diagonal glass and just a hint of the colour.

ENDING

P1020835.JPG

There are plenty of these signs around near where I live and I've taken a few shots over the last couple of days with different backgrounds/skies ... and I like this one.

Thought about cleaning up the signs ....

Sense: I really like the horizontal blinds in the background.....makes the image far more striking

Ending: I like the skewed angle, buildings in the background and dark clouds....all add an ominous 'horroresque' feel to it.

Last two weeks have been good ones (y)

Hi David

Sense...re post of the wine glass works better for me as well ,the small amount of color in the wine just lifts the image & gives a little more interest . Just being awkward for a moment...I'm not keen on the dark vertical line ( part of the window ) in either of the shots , can't help wondering if it would work without it just using the horizontal lines :thinking:

Ending , yup , on theme ,the sign really pops out of the screen but not really grabbing my attention , sorry :exit:

Love the dramatic sky with the bare branches ad vaguely "old manor house" look of the building. I have visions of a thousand cyclists coming to their end, cycling up and down the cul-de-sac looking for the way out :D

Thanks all for your comments on the SENSE wine tasting image(s) ... that was a tricky one, and I'll have another go at that or similar someday soon.

The ENDING road sign image is more my kind of thing. And it's interesting to see the slightly mixed reception.

I like the angle it's shot at, but feel it's a tad dark (although this could well be my screen!) I don't think the vignette is adding anything to the image I'm afraid, I think I'd have preferred to work with the sky a little more to make it a bit more moody as it's a little blown in the middle. I do like the composition though, including the trees and building really adds to the image. (y)

Back