weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

Thanks Michael et al

Here's my WEEK 2 - Play

DSC_0018.JPG

Rather liking the 2nd line pic - tickles my sense of humor ;)

Good use of DOF here and very pleasing lighting (y)

This was to be my "play" submission but got relegated to No. 2

DSC_0006.JPG

Lighting looks great in both images David (y) tbh, I'm struggling to decide which one I preferred, both good shots :)

the first one is a good submission for play. the clipped £10 note is a bit distracting but good lighting. :)

Hiya :) The first one looks good .....a nice composition, and it tells a story, I assume that's a good hand judging by all the money!
But of course I find the teddies irresistible ....I think I would have arranged it so that they were playing the game of cards ;)

Last edited:
I rather like the bears on the chair too - although the cards is more Play than the chair I think.

I like #2, quite nostalgic and the deadpan paces made me smile. Nice window light.

Not too sure about the com environ to play, though.

Cheers.

Prefer #1 of these, not to sure on the background of #2 I find it a bit distracting, good lighting though.
Not sure why if you dealt your own hand you didn't go for the Royal Flush ;) Nice comp and good use of DoF(y)

Nice shots, however I feel that the post-processing is a little over-done/off for the first 3 photos. Loving "Play" though!.. Wish I had come up with that idea. Keep them coming :)

Good hand, hock your socks on it!

I like the photo too, nice composition.

I like both your play entries but the first one does have the edge for me nicely done.

"the edge" yes that's it. Thanks Pinkbikerbabe and everyone for the kind words of encouragement ... I'm enjoying this.

Edit inspired by Beckyboy1 ....

DSC_0004.JPG

I have to agree with Peter on the aged look of the bears in the chair.

I like both card shots but I think the second one has the edge.

A K Q J 10 of hearts!!!!

You'd better get more money and hope the other player has four nines!

Play: Hi David. both good interpretations of play, though I like the card shot best (re-edit). cant help but feel a little more hand and card in the shot and a little less of the notes. Or maybe it was your intention for the money to dominate the scene?

not entirely sure why, but not seen keen on your cards shot. I do really like the teddy bears and think that has more going for it - really like the tones and softness. shame the chair was clipped.

Hi David

Play....like both versions of the card hands but my OCD is screaming at me to turn the money round so the queen's head is the right way up !

The bears in the chair though is lovely , soft pp , soft lighting....as Peter mentioned , some aging in the pp might work a treat...lovely shot as is though :clap:

thanks blondie606 but I'm not really a queen's-head-the-right-way-up kind of a guy.

bears in the chair .... some ageing in the pp might work a treat ... oh yes please ... I'd be delighted if you Peter or anyone could do some "ageing"

I can see what you were trying to achieve with blurring the cover to show it closing but the whole image has motion blur on it. You said work in progress so it's worth another try on this one.

Hi, second play image an improvement and a nice idea for "close" not sure its quite working not keen on the composition or the lack of light

I think the idea is very creative but the softness doesn't work for me. If you do try again I would like to see it sharper overall and some text on the page, ideally 'The End'

David, good idea, but as mentioned, it appears to have motion blur on the whole book. Would having the book on a solid surface instead of the bed stop this? :)

Last edited:
thanks for the comments, I agree with what you're saying.

I put together a number of closing book images today ... here's two of them.

Work in progress, still.

close3.jpg

close2.jpg

... posting these, I realise one thing I'm doing wrong: I started yesterday using a remote to get 2, 3 or 4 images to layer. The remote stopped working and I thought it was the battery but I've just discovered the "shooting mode" had changed on its own (not the first time). So the remote does work when in the correct mode. Hence the blur ... using a tripod but still a little camera movement that shows when pics are layered.

I need lighting too. I've always been anti flash but now I think I'll look into remote flashes. Or at least try tomorrow with the fixed flash.

Great idea, I think you're nearly there with the second image, it just needs the non moving part to stay put :D

I don't think books actually say The End at the end, so that's photoshopped ... does it look a bit squint?

Thought I'd add another "Close" ...

DSC_0011.JPG

Back