weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

Pretty ugly looking thing isn't it? Can't argue with it being bang on theme though and I like the angle you've used to make the most of the diagonal. I'd quite like to see it in black and white.

Salad Fingers.

I hope I'm not the only one who doesn't get the "salad fingers" reference... :)

Peeling paint.. Rusty chain... Plenty of texture in there. I'd like to see a slightly wider view as long as you'd have been able to hold the background out of focus as in this shot.

(y)

Good bit of fun with the first 2 swirls, Like the lighting on the spring and POV and don't mind the floating affect.

Nice colours in the chain just feel it needs to be either tighter cropped so a lot more chain or wider to give some perspective with whats being kept locked. (y)

... appreciate all your comments. Below is the original unedited shot; I spent ages trying to bring out the rustiness without the red brick buildings in the BG looking too much, I then greyed the BG, then tried a number of different crops including one with no BG no padlock just a close up of the Chubb lock with a little tangle of rusty chain above, nearly posted that but then thought lets give them some BG and the padlock or most of it at least.

Elaine, I'm always trying to avoid the one dimensional. o_O

P1020951.JPG

Last edited:
... and here's one from a different perspective:

linked+2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi d00d ...I really like the rusty chain idea...lots of lovely assorted textures and colours in there...
I prefer the last one, but for this theme I would crop it just to the chain and make it a real focal point. I don't like the colour of the one above but I think it would look good if you cropped it to the main horizontals with the lock and chain and put the colour back in...phew...if you can understand that lot you can understand anything :confused:

Whats salad fingers ... and where do you get them o_O

Chains... love that David, I think it's the rusty links against the black flaky paint, maybe a tad more on the bottom to bring in the whole padlock, and a tad at the top to bring in the whole chain could improve it even more, as is, nice DoF and some great detail (y)

Thanks for all the input. I've decided I like the last pic I posted most, and that's the one I initially planned as my main pic but changed my mind because the padlock is hidden.

Anyway I aim to go back with macro shots in mind of just 3 or 4 big chunky rusty overlapping links ... may even try and include cobwebs ... don't know if you can see any in the above pics?

I really like the composition of the last one, I think the backgrounds in the others are a bit distracting. I don't think the padlock is needed as the linked chain fits the theme well. very nice colours and textures in the chin too. good work.

Time - good reflections, prefer the edit.

Swirl - the shoppery shots leaves me cold, I'm afraid. Could do something a bit more interesting with the springy thing, particularly in b/w.

Linked - nice shot. I would like an even tighter crop on that chain.

I like the second swirl. Nice detail and I don't mind that it appears to be floating.

Linked, on theme and nice textures and colours. I'd like it a bit closer to about the cropped lower padlocks and to emphasise the textures.

Cheers.

The last one of the chain works best for me, I'd have liked to have seen the first one just a little wider to include the whole of the padlock as I feel the colours and texture work better in that one.

HI David

just to awkward....I prefer the angle of the 3rd image for Linked but with the pp applied in the 1st...it's bought out the detail & colors of the rusty chain perfectly :)

The 1st shot has really good DOF , but maybe a step to the left might have enabled you to lose the window ? The final shot ....I'm wanting to crop out the pavement & leave the wall as the edge of the shot....possibly :thinking:

Hi have to agree with Lynne about the third one being better and about cropping the pavement

Last edited:
Thank you ... some interesting theories there. :clap:

I like the idea and composition. This week's theme has definitely brought more people outside instead of the usual "product" shots hasn't it? I just feel this is missing something in the bottom right corner. If you really want raw urban authenticity you need to borrow a dog to take for a "walk". Then, to add an extra dimension to the "step" theme........... no, that's taking art just a bit too far and I dare say Tracey Emin's already done it anyway :naughty: :coat:

I like the idea and composition. This week's theme has definitely brought more people outside instead of the usual "product" shots hasn't it? I just feel this is missing something in the bottom right corner. If you really want raw urban authenticity you need to borrow a dog to take for a "walk". Then, to add an extra dimension to the "step" theme........... no, that's taking art just a bit too far and I dare say Tracey Emin's already done it anyway :naughty: :coat:

.... stepping in doggy do ... hmmm .... you're one step ahead Elaine dear. :clap:

That's so weird - I don't remember walking down that street o_O Apart from that orange dress and the slightly longer hair, that could definitely be me though - she's even wearing my favourite boots!

Seriously though, great image well captured. I like the motion blur and the diagonals of the buildings. (y)

Really good, interesting shot there.

Nice subject for colour with the skirt and the hair.

I do like the feel of the motion and think it adds. Is this added afterwards.. I'll be impressed it if's actual zoom-burst in camera. (y)

That's so weird - I don't remember walking down that street o_O Apart from that orange dress and the slightly longer hair, that could definitely be me though - she's even wearing my favourite boots!

Seriously though, great image well captured. I like the motion blur and the diagonals of the buildings. (y)
(I have good taste in women) ... glad you like it Elaine (y)

Really good, interesting shot there.

Nice subject for colour with the skirt and the hair.

I do like the feel of the motion and think it adds. Is this added afterwards.. I'll be impressed it if's actual zoom-burst in camera. (y)

Thanks Graham ... the motion zoom burst was added afterwards ... I ran it though "Focal Zoom" in Picasa ... then went on to spend an hour or two trying different effect before realising a quick crop-to-zoom and "Focal Zoom" is all that's needed.

Hi David,

I do like your 2nd image, lovely movement in it, was she a stranger a bit of street photography? :clap:
we were walking up to the bbc media village for cafe al fresco yesterday morning, this young lady about ten yards ahead, I took a dozen shots from the hip, and was later pleased to find this one ....

#2 for me. On a purely aesthetic basis of course :)

I like like the square and the sense of movement works. Pity she isn't dead central.

The overall lighting works well, too.

Cheers.

Hi nice sense of movement in the pic as has already been said, nice work.

Step - second image i like it alot great effect.
Thanks

#2 for me. On a purely aesthetic basis of course :)

I like like the square and the sense of movement works. Pity she isn't dead central.

The overall lighting works well, too.

Cheers.
"Pity she isn't dead central" ... hmmm funny you should mention that! .... I cropped a lot to zoom and tried dozens of variations, firstly to get the right amount of foreground, secondly to satisfy myself on lateral positioning ... and this is what I came up with.
I know ... it's just me and my dislike of the dead central.

Hi nice sense of movement in the pic as has already been said, nice work.
Thanks.

WEEK 14 - NATURE (pair)

My local park bench:
A sunny November morning
A damp April morning

2012-11-11+10.15.13-2.jpg

nature.jpg

really rather like this, nice job reflecting the changing seasons.

You've done well to get the POV (nearly) the same in both of them.

Colours in both are great too.

Get the 2 other seasons and you'd have a really super set there.

Back