weekly d00d's 52 in 2016 ... week 52 celebration

Great idea, great symmetry and crop. But pastel colours are not really colourful, are they :D

David, I was first thinking of paint tins or a colour card for the theme. But yours just made me think mine wouldn't be comparable. Great framing and crop

Chris

I took a load of shots at the British Museum yesterday of people entering the entrance hall and different rooms, galleries, exhibitions. Settled upon this for ...

Week 20 Entrance
qsYN6_-0b_yRvpknRkkeOU7GX9G7Ojia5XEbtF7WqPAwN9b_af9le1oIjUFS7X1KByt0COyfsmENsayDtY2Kz0jXZeyLqMHYiVrIbrlCXucAiMWIei75vavnl5ig0X7dVDPo_yYVnFGN0vMopSk4UEIx1Hde_nNB2c7yIBDK2sAsbpEWcJTcV7fegi9SwM8iYIvCDRCm88CysB65WA_-9RpmpGnFxz_-Ozb0JWqAlO6W-TH3i9C4cZfFGSgD1RvhCnBcOq7a6rMJ_l4UCqshBQgkQZyaE9wHWRhAG0vFLxx-mU6tZh66Z8dY3_dh23BAUCggp2qhrfmKbVk3jcxzl5adO_Ji66r6cELkqaKu1HHvkkKj77E4TUDrQyQpdWvunGvdkGSW-UfSFIVgotrY4ohwFSvRzbPxQk1nFQqDHbOtQllgpXOOh6C0OSo9hG9dXUFDn_G_UV5zkQJuIT25VZOAvjp3Qt_CrXeX97KsYpiW4cv-w5WTMbvYPUchHMxbjcl8Pq2aa1CPbl5E7qYj1kjyhl0bMCMU-emOuIx7qlD04UMBhFe6EWSW4NI0L4VDOl87V2anX9alBPDnOd5kVNWpMqjv4d0=w1160-h917-no

EDIT ... Brief description in my next post down.

Last edited:
Certainty spot on for the theme, it might have been nice to see more of the entrance.

<edit>That sounds a bit blunt, so apologies and I don’t know how high the columns at either side of the door are so maybe there was no choice to get more of them in but hopefully you know what I intended… </edit>

Last edited:
Hi David. Hmmm! There's quite a few things I like about this shot - people and movement and the alignment of the chrome handrail & brackets leading the viewer in. Most of all though, I like the architectural contrast between the modern walkway and the old columns. (Had to Google Raymond & Beverly Sackler ... learnt something in the process so that's another plus). (y)

Certainty spot on for the theme, it might have been nice to see more of the entrance.

<edit>That sounds a bit blunt, so apologies and I don’t know how high the columns at either side of the door are so maybe there was no choice to get more of them in but hopefully you know what I intended… </edit>

Hi Chris ... don't worry about sounding blunt. I sometimes think we're not blunt enough.

I was trying for a slightly different interpretation ... "making an entrance" rather than concentrating on the shape and size of the orifice! I ended up choosing this shot for its architectural contrast and I also like the trainers on glass! A little uplighting there? The sooc is bigger, including more column and this end of the walkway but I wanted to focus on the people and the writing, telling you they are entering somewhere significant.

EDIT to add https://www.google.co.uk/searchq=british+museum+walkway

Last edited:
Hi David. Hmmm! There's quite a few things I like about this shot - people and movement and the alignment of the chrome handrail & brackets leading the viewer in. Most of all though, I like the architectural contrast between the modern walkway and the old columns. (Had to Google Raymond & Beverly Sackler ... learnt something in the process so that's another plus). (y)

Cheers Carl ... you've come up with a good analysis/description. :)

Last edited:
Hi David. I like the shot and thought behind it, but for me it'd be a level above if given the b&w treatment (maybe that's just what I'd do though!) :)

Nooooo. Don't B&W it!!!
It works well as it is. The birghtness / colours of the lady on the right draw the eye. I felt you were shooting 'an entrance' rather than 'an entranceway', so having the eye drawn in that way makes it work imo. I think that in B&W you would lose that pull.

Nooooo. Don't B&W it!!!
It works well as it is. The birghtness / colours of the lady on the right draw the eye. I felt you were shooting 'an entrance' rather than 'an entranceway', so having the eye drawn in that way makes it work imo. I think that in B&W you would lose that pull.
.....selective colouring then? [emoji14]

Many folk think B&W is appropriate for *street*, graveyards and the recently deceased. But, save for the latter, I think B&W should be reserved for arty shadowy trickery. Not much of that evident here.

I like the framing of the title to the entrance, handrails and especially the reflection of the woman to the right. There's something about the other three people that doesn't quite grab me in the shot. Maybe because I'm not sure (or that curious) what the two men are looking at.

You been sneeking up behind people again, I like it and you are right it doesn't need to be in B+W, not sure I agree with the "black and white is for arty shadowy trickery" colour for this was the better choice

Hiya David

Colourful - works really well and I like your composition a lot. The only distraction for me personally is I find the softness at the edge of the frame a bit distracting. Not sure if it's a lens issue or simply depth of field (since most lenses have a curved focal "plane")?

Entrance - an interesting shot but I want it to tell me more of a story. Why was it shot and what is it saying about the people going in? It feels as if it should be more than a picture "just" of an entrance... However, good use of leading lines to draw the viewer in. I'm feeling conflicted on this - strong aspects yet a sense of something not quite 100%? Sorry!

I like the framing of the title to the entrance, handrails and especially the reflection of the woman to the right. There's something about the other three people that doesn't quite grab me in the shot. Maybe because I'm not sure (or that curious) what the two men are looking at.
Works for me the balustrade help lead you into the picture
David, I quite like the reflection in the glass to the right, the subtle lighting. Tend to agree colour not b&w
Chris
You been sneeking up behind people again, I like it and you are right it doesn't need to be in B+W, not sure I agree with the "black and white is for arty shadowy trickery" colour for this was the better choice
Thanks for your crit. (y)

Entrance, I blab on about Alexey Titarenko now and again, but this would really suit his style.

Nice and close, and well composed.

Cheers Andy ... I really must try a Titarenko type thing one day, got to find a camera/tripod friendly place with a confined flow of people.

Hiya David

Colourful - works really well and I like your composition a lot. The only distraction for me personally is I find the softness at the edge of the frame a bit distracting. Not sure if it's a lens issue or simply depth of field (since most lenses have a curved focal "plane")?

Entrance - an interesting shot but I want it to tell me more of a story. Why was it shot and what is it saying about the people going in? It feels as if it should be more than a picture "just" of an entrance... However, good use of leading lines to draw the viewer in. I'm feeling conflicted on this - strong aspects yet a sense of something not quite 100%? Sorry!
Cheers Paul. They're both marmite I know. I shot the tins of paint 7 wide 3 shelves high, when viewed on my PC they were distorted so I went back to the shop to shoot again: 12 wide 6 high and cropped it down, much less distortion. But anyway, I don't know why it's soft at the edges. The Entrance was also cropped down in PP, minimalistic and finer detail being my preference, and I preferred this one over similar shots because the two guys have their heads turned being more interesting than backs of heads only.

Love that. Size comparison conveyed through the comparatively small man in the middle and bright colours filling the rest. Keeps it interesting and is framed really well. Good stuff.

Yes, I agree with Ian about the contrast in size. Must be massive if this is just one quarter !!! That doorway is nicely camouflaged - do you suppose he's trying to get directions to it? Make a great pic for captions ! :clap:

Wow! that's some sizeable ad. Good that the guy is wearing a bright jacket, gives the photo a good sense of scale.

I thought it was something you had photoshopped at first,
that's a seriously large advert as said above needs the person in front for scale but well spotted

Very nice David, very colourful and to the point (y)

Hi David,
Horizontal - love this simple but so effective
Vast - a good and different take on the theme
Rough - Great colours and textures there
Covered - this is a very good, NYC kind of shot, bet this would look good in B&W, superb as it is.
Colourful - this was my initial idea but never got round to any large enough shops. This is good because of the pastel colours as brighter colours would have been to obvious.
Entrance - cool shot, great lines and framing, love the reflection of the woman's bright skirt.
Size - Epic photograph, the colours, framing and the gesture is perfection.

Size - That's an impressive advert! Loving the colours and details. THe guy in the Red coat really stands out and adds to the sense of scale.

Love that. Size comparison conveyed through the comparatively small man in the middle and bright colours filling the rest. Keeps it interesting and is framed really well. Good stuff.
thank you Ian :)

Yes, I agree with Ian about the contrast in size. Must be massive if this is just one quarter !!! That doorway is nicely camouflaged - do you suppose he's trying to get directions to it? Make a great pic for captions ! :clap:
you know I didn't notice that door, well that alone gives an indication of size. He was just pacing up and down as they do on the mobile, cigarette in other hand flicking the ash off. Cheers Carl. :)

Wow! that's some sizeable ad. Good that the guy is wearing a bright jacket, gives the photo a good sense of scale.
thanks Chris :)

Great David, need the guy so you can truley appreciate the 'size' nicely framed. Is it a hoarding, shop front ?
Thanks Chris :) it's a hoarding, and I've just edited my post above with details. It is in fact on the reverse of something more erm prestigious: The third largest digital site in the UK

I thought it was something you had photoshopped at first,
that's a seriously large advert as said above needs the person in front for scale but well spotted
Thanks Allan :) It's a place I'm quite familiar with and I was hanging around for quite a while for the subject to show.

Very nice David, very colourful and to the point (y)
Thanks Boss :)

Hi David,
Horizontal - love this simple but so effective
Vast - a good and different take on the theme
Rough - Great colours and textures there
Covered - this is a very good, NYC kind of shot, bet this would look good in B&W, superb as it is.
Colourful - this was my initial idea but never got round to any large enough shops. This is good because of the pastel colours as brighter colours would have been to obvious.
Entrance - cool shot, great lines and framing, love the reflection of the woman's bright skirt.
Size - Epic photograph, the colours, framing and the gesture is perfection.
Thanks so much for all your kind words Lee. (y)

Size - That's an impressive advert! Loving the colours and details. THe guy in the Red coat really stands out and adds to the sense of scale.
and Mark ... thank you. :)

Hey @d00d.
The inclusion of the chap on his phone really lets you appreciate the size, and adds a bit of human interest (a bit like adding a person into a landscape), the advert itself is a really interesting thing in itself though.
Good spot and capture :)

Love the leading lines and spot of colour reflection in Entrance. Thanks for the explanation cos I thought it was maybe a hospital wing.

Size is a cracker!!! Amazing sense of scale there and fab colours :clap:

Back