weekly : Dave70D 52 for 2017 Week 52 WEATHER COMPLETED

Without focus stacking, I doubt you'd get much more in tack sharp focus (you could try going to a higher f-stop, but I wouldn't hold my breath).
All I would be doing differently would be keeping the iso as low as possible, so on a tripod, the base iso would be my setting of choice.

Without focus stacking, I doubt you'd get much more in tack sharp focus (you could try going to a higher f-stop, but I wouldn't hold my breath).
All I would be doing differently would be keeping the iso as low as possible, so on a tripod, the base iso would be my setting of choice.

Thanks Tim :) I normally check what my iso is before I use the camera, but totally forgot that time, plus I must read up about this focus stacking too :)

Like the shot, the black background isolates the shell.

You could have just carefully smashed the light bulb that would have got rid of the reflections and with the pumice you need to ground the image its floaty a bit of light spill on the floor would be good, I can't comment on the mineral nature of either Dave I will leave that to the mineral police :police: ;)

You could have just carefully smashed the light bulb that would have got rid of the reflections and with the pumice you need to ground the image its floaty a bit of light spill on the floor would be good, I can't comment on the mineral nature of either Dave I will leave that to the mineral police :police: ;)

Thanks Allan, for the lightbulb, it is Tungsten for the filament and the pumice stone is augite, feldspar and zircon. I am just glad this one is done.

:agree: with Allan ... especially about the mineral police .. you're safe enough with #2 I should think. very fine detail in the lightbulb but think I like Pumice best for the texture and theme fit ... .which is more than some managed ... oh wait a minute, that's me :facepalm:

:agree: with Allan ... especially about the mineral police .. you're safe enough with #2 I should think. very fine detail in the lightbulb but think I like Pumice best for the texture and theme fit ... .which is more than some managed ... oh wait a minute, that's me :facepalm:

Thank you Carl, I am sure Mr Nice guy will let me use them :)

I don't mind the reflections in the light bulb shot I like the effect on the background. Maybe a different coloured background might have given you more chance for shadows to ground the pumice stone. All these discussions about minerals are making me feel very lacking in the science department - the 52 is nothing if not educational!

I'm pretty sure glass is amorphous solid and as such lacks the lattice structure of a mineral... but tungsten probably is.

light bulb ... no matter what the theme, light bulb is truly interesting. (y)

My feeling if its not animal or vegetable then it can only be mineral!
Having struggled with pictures of pebbles i can guess how hard the bulb was, congrats!

I don't mind the reflections in the light bulb shot I like the effect on the background. Maybe a different coloured background might have given you more chance for shadows to ground the pumice stone. All these discussions about minerals are making me feel very lacking in the science department - the 52 is nothing if not educational!

I'm pretty sure glass is amorphous solid and as such lacks the lattice structure of a mineral... but tungsten probably is.

Great effort you went through for the light bulb photo.

If in your mind it fits...it fits;)well thought out, couple of difficult shots to take.

light bulb ... no matter what the theme, light bulb is truly interesting. (y)

Thank you folks for the nice words and advice, for the bulb shot I put my Raynox150 on as tried my best, but it was hard :)

I like the flat look of the pumice stone against the black background with plenty of details in the surface. (y)

Nice Dave. Nice black bg and goes well with the lovely black and white shell:D

Well done on the light bulb, lots of tricky reflections to deal with:D

Last edited:
I like the flat look of the pumice stone against the black background with plenty of details in the surface. (y)

Thank you foggey :)

brilliant shot of the lightbulb element. not so sure about the pumice.

Thank you Gremlin, I was trying to hard to get the shot, glad you like the bulb :)

Nice Dave. Nice black bg and goes well with the lovely black and white shell:D

Well done on the light bulb, lots of tricky reflections to deal with:D

Thank you Georgina, think next time I get a BG, it will be a different colour :)

Lots of texture in the pumice. Nice.

Thank you Chris :)

Hmmmm tough choice Chris, I like the detail of the stone that's for sure, again would like to see some shadow to 'ground it' so my vote goes with the light element, a cool idea that works well for me :)

Thanks mate, the trouble I had trying to focus on the element was crazy, but as soon as the Raynox150 went on, it focused :)

Tough choice, I like the bulb and the element for the interesting subject and good detail. Think overall I prefer to stone as it seems to have a bit more visual impact, good detail and stands out nicely against the black background.

Getting stoned won't help*
Hang in there David, I'm sure things will improve :)

*Well actually it might :D

Tough times David - fingers crossed for your Mum's early recovery - keep with it. Whole load of stone ... why not, fits the theme I say.

Tough indeed, wishing your Mum well and good on ya' for getting something in this week, nothing wrong with that at all, stick in there.

Well done for submitting anything at all while your mother is still ill. Fits the theme.

Hi Dave.

Hmm, light bulbs. Having just change my main beam (by mistake) and then correctly changed the HID Dip beam, I'm not sure I want to see bulb shots... Nice bit of Macro enlargement.
I think I prefer the pumice for the sharply captured texture.

Whole - Well done for getting a shot in while you're probably not feeling like wanting to bother.
Best wishes for your Mum's recovery.

Back