weekly Daves 2018 TP 52 WEEK 52 SHOWCASE COMPLETED

I think your choice for the main thread was right. Singing faces are so hard to capture pleasantly, whereas the drummer just looks like he's in motion (which I guess he is).
I like the hidden details such as the fact he's barefoot.

I like your shot of the drummer more Dave, it looks more natural to me

Bright
I like the drummer, a bit more space to the right may have looked better, but i understand it might not have been possible.

Liking the drummer there Dave, he's certainly enjoying himself. The 1st would be great with a bit of eye contact.

Thank you folks for the comments and for looking.

Couple of very nice shots Sir, both work well but like many others the drummer would be my fav'.(y)

George.

Agree with others on the drummer. Looks like he's 'in the groove'. Like the Bright sun just shone on his face only.

Thank you Stan for the comment and looking.

Couple of very nice shots Sir, both work well but like many others the drummer would be my fav'.(y)

George.

Thank you George for looking and the comment.

Agreed with the fact that the chosen shot is the better of the 2. The crop on the first is a bit close for me (necessary I know but still too close for my liking :)). The drummer is a stronger image in my eyes.

Thank you Ross for the comment and for looking.

Nice shot Sir, and definitely on theme.(y)

"Somehow I kinda had a feelin' you might be putting in a shot of the West Pier" :)

George.

Elegant.

Like the subject here, nice image, shame about the flowers that have gone over in the foreground,

Derelict,

I like the crop you have chosen there Dave.

Thank you Michael for the comment and for looking, just a shame I had to crop out so much of the beach, think the sun made all the people go.

Certainly looks an elegant building though a little lost in the vegetation

Derelict, not sure why you have included the foreground posts they sort of distract from the skeletal remains of the pier

Certainly looks an elegant building though a little lost in the vegetation

Derelict, not sure why you have included the foreground posts they sort of distract from the skeletal remains of the pier

Thank you Allan for looking and the comment. I thought I`d have the whole of the ruins in the shot, but I do see what you mean though.

Nice find for elegant Dave and a good shot. I like your shot for derelict to dave. I like how the horizon is right in the middle of the shot, it makes the image for me

Elegant Certainly an elegant building. Like the POV you have taken it from.

Derelict A good crop but a pity about the signs

Hi Dave, the Pavilion is certainly an elegant building and works well for this theme, and I assume from your comments that this angle is a better choice than having a road in the foreground instead? I do really like the lovely shapes of the roof. Derelict is a good choice too. I'm not sure about the posts in the foreground as I don't know if they are/were part of the old structure or if there is the option of another angle without them there? They do provide a lead in to the pier though so I don't object that much :D

I've never been to Brighton so these images make me want to visit and see the architecture for myself (y)

Hi Dave,

Elegant - I can see what you're aiming for, but for me the foreground detracts. If it could have somehow frames the building it would have worked better, but the way some of the growth obscures the building stops it from working.
A different angle needed I feel, of course not knowing if that is even possible...

Derelict - What makes this for me is the way you've managed to have the top of the supports (at least that's what I assume they are) dead on the horizon line. It shows that effort was put into capturing this at precisely the right height / angle / time.

Derelict - What makes this for me is the way you've managed to have the top of the supports (at least that's what I assume they are) dead on the horizon line. It shows that effort was put into capturing this at precisely the right height / angle / time.

Never noticed that Tim, Dave really has got this spot on.

Dave

Out of the 2 bright shots, I think the drummer stands out more, there is a bit of action implied.

Elegant , it looks like an elegant building, no mistake in that. Good exposure in the sky. Fore ground flowers may be a bit soft.

Derelict, Was that nuked from Orbit! Nice to see the sea level. Forground posts are not in the best place, one side is inline and the other is not, maybe if both sets where angled it would help. Not worried about the messy folk being cropped out.

Nice find for elegant Dave and a good shot. I like your shot for derelict to dave. I like how the horizon is right in the middle of the shot, it makes the image for me

Derelict
I like that, for me it's nicely composed.

Derelict - Well composed. I like the crop and the central horizon works with the pier remains lining up with it. Kind of agree with the foreground posts though.

Elegant, a beautiful classic building but, to me, the overgrown foreground does fit the theme of elegant somewhat.

Derelict; I don't mind the foreground posts, however, the 'No Swimming' signs are a bit distracting. Oh, btw the horizon is wonky :)

Elegant Certainly an elegant building. Like the POV you have taken it from.

Derelict A good crop but a pity about the signs

Hi Dave, the Pavilion is certainly an elegant building and works well for this theme, and I assume from your comments that this angle is a better choice than having a road in the foreground instead? I do really like the lovely shapes of the roof. Derelict is a good choice too. I'm not sure about the posts in the foreground as I don't know if they are/were part of the old structure or if there is the option of another angle without them there? They do provide a lead in to the pier though so I don't object that much :D

I've never been to Brighton so these images make me want to visit and see the architecture for myself (y)

Hi Dave,

Elegant - I can see what you're aiming for, but for me the foreground detracts. If it could have somehow frames the building it would have worked better, but the way some of the growth obscures the building stops it from working.
A different angle needed I feel, of course not knowing if that is even possible...

Never noticed that Tim, Dave really has got this spot on.

Dave

Out of the 2 bright shots, I think the drummer stands out more, there is a bit of action implied.

Elegant , it looks like an elegant building, no mistake in that. Good exposure in the sky. Fore ground flowers may be a bit soft.

Derelict, Was that nuked from Orbit! Nice to see the sea level. Forground posts are not in the best place, one side is inline and the other is not, maybe if both sets where angled it would help. Not worried about the messy folk being cropped out.

Thank you folks for looking and the comments.

Two shots for the Home theme, the first is Sam playing at the music hall which at the moment is my 2nd Home then the pavilion was taken today with my Round theme.

Sam Brown by Dave, on Flickr

Pavilion taken today.

Prince Regent Home by Dave, on Flickr

ROUND Theme today, had to crop like it as messy above.

Round by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shots Dave. I couldn't pick a favourite of your home shots. I really like the shot of Sam playing the guitar and the sky in the shot of the pavilion is really cool. Good find for round too

Home, looks much better on flickr particulary like the sky.

Round, Again a real nice picture on flkr, lovely detailing and a great find.

Nice shot for round. Did you shoot wide enough to possibly make it rounder with a bit of perspective adjustment?

Nice shots Dave. I couldn't pick a favourite of your home shots. I really like the shot of Sam playing the guitar and the sky in the shot of the pavilion is really cool. Good find for round too

Home, looks much better on flickr particulary like the sky.

Round, Again a real nice picture on flkr, lovely detailing and a great find.

Nice shot for round. Did you shoot wide enough to possibly make it rounder with a bit of perspective adjustment?

Thank you folks, it was on the side on the clock tower in town hence the crop as gulls were around it, so cropped only.

Home - Sam reminds me of Justin from The Vaccines, and because of that, and because it's a people shot, it's my fav of the two. Sharp, crisp and the mono works well. (y)
Round - Blimey, they must've had an odd picture of Diana - Evidently no copies of the Express to hand when that was produced ;)
It shows the ravages of time on the mosaic well.

The photo of Sam is spot on, good light and tones, clear and sharp ... but I kind of like the photo of the pavilion for the home theme.

Round, I think the crop works, good symmetrical framing, well seen for the theme.

Home - Sam reminds me of Justin from The Vaccines, and because of that, and because it's a people shot, it's my fav of the two. Sharp, crisp and the mono works well. (y)
Round - Blimey, they must've had an odd picture of Diana - Evidently no copies of the Express to hand when that was produced ;)
It shows the ravages of time on the mosaic well.

The photo of Sam is spot on, good light and tones, clear and sharp ... but I kind of like the photo of the pavilion for the home theme.

Round, I think the crop works, good symmetrical framing, well seen for the theme.

Home; the pavilion doesn't really 'spell' home to me but it's a nice image and the black and white conversion works well.

Round; well spotted with some nice details too. I'm two minds about a perspective correction but I think it's nice as is.

Thank you folks for looking and the comments.

Short, Fits the theme and I like the flowers but I find the background very distracting, almost as if the saturation has been turned up.

Fork. Great grab shot Dave, how did you get it?

Short, Fits the theme and I like the flowers but I find the background very distracting, almost as if the saturation has been turned up.

Fork. Great grab shot Dave, how did you get it?

Thank you Roger for the nice words, the lightning shot was taken using my old 1100D and using the Nifty Fifty hand held and taken using continuous mode think it was about the 15th shot out of the burst.

Hi Dave

Home - Nice rendiction in B&W of Sam, lots of sharp detail and good tones, Nice Image.

Pavillion - another excellant B&W Image. Lots of detail in the sky. Bushes on right are interfereing with the Pavillion a bit too much, not sure if another angle of the shot would work.

Round - Dead on theme and lots of details, well exposed, well cropped.

Short - Nice background and foreground nice and sharp, shorter Flower could do with more seperation to stand out a bit more.

Forked - excellent Shot of forked lightning. Very hard to do.

The Kiss - all I can say is lucky chap. Excellent Image Dave, good composition and conversion to B&W. Possibly the best cooking shot so far.

Btw, well done on keeping up with the 52 considering the problems you have been having.

Pete

Hi Dave

Home - Nice rendiction in B&W of Sam, lots of sharp detail and good tones, Nice Image.

Pavillion - another excellant B&W Image. Lots of detail in the sky. Bushes on right are interfereing with the Pavillion a bit too much, not sure if another angle of the shot would work.

Round - Dead on theme and lots of details, well exposed, well cropped.

Short - Nice background and foreground nice and sharp, shorter Flower could do with more seperation to stand out a bit more.

Forked - excellent Shot of forked lightning. Very hard to do.

The Kiss - all I can say is lucky chap. Excellent Image Dave, good composition and conversion to B&W. Possibly the best cooking shot so far.

Btw, well done on keeping up with the 52 considering the problems you have been having.

Pete

Thank you Pete for looking and the comments.

Good lightening shot and the kis is really good, very nice in mono.

Thank you too Chris for the comment and for looking.

Back