Monthly Derek's 12 for 13 Challenge.

Dexy101

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Having never really entered into anything as I'm usually too busy working I've decided to join in on Kelack's thread seeing as its achievable for me. Especially with a new year and a new camera.

Here is the main thread.

And I shall keep up as best I can.

And I thought seeing as the challenges are from this list

Star Trails
Domes/Orbs
Sparklers/Fire Dancing
Fairy Lights
Physiogram
City Lights/Night Lights

I have decided to start with something I've never tried.

I did this with the camera mounted on the tripod pointing towards the ceiling, I then used a torch i picked up in Tesco and tied it to the ceiling and took a long exposure.

PHYSIOGRAM

Last edited:
Alright Stan, cheers for the kind words.

Commented in your thread, Ill be keeping an eye now so we don't end up shooting the same stuff haha.

2. Created using a bit of steel wool in a whisk.

Note the large molten bit that landed on my head, it was certainly hot but i powered through :)

Last edited:
Hi Derek :wave:

Nice attempt at the physiogram, it's quite mesmerising. I like how it's got a wide beam of light that's different to the other ones here.

The wire wool shot is ok. The fencing in front of you is a bit distracting IMO. There's nothing else to really look at in the picture, maybe a background or setting with a bit more interest would be better next time. You've got a good spinning technique that's nice and even. I want to try this now! :)

Excellent comments there and very good points. Ive only done the wire spinning a few times now and it is very addictive.

I do agree the fencing is a bit distracting now you mention it. Just means more wire spinning :)

Hi Derek. I like your physiogram, especially the slightly smoky effect it has, and the colour. It's a shame it's slightly uneven, but it looks good none-the-less.

I agree with Jason about the wire wool shot, and think it'd be nicer a little closer, but it's nicely exposed, and you have a good swing :)

Cheers Stan, yeah the tide was right out for a change, we started out beside the VTS building at first but thought better of doing fire spinning there. I need to try and get out again, got a couple of orb tools made up now to try out.

Hi Derek, Like your 2 submissions so far! i like the glow of your physiograph! How was the wire wool spinning is it hard to do?

Lee

Hi mate, its not hard to do at all. Just some steel wool in a whisk and light it and spin it.

That's only one single exposure Stan, it was down in stoney last night, bloody cold too.

Great shot Derek. Nicely composed, good amount of fore and background interest and you've got some good cloud and star movement too. Really like it. I imagine the orb on the stairs was a bit tough. :LOL:

Great shot Derek. Nicely composed, good amount of fore and background interest and you've got some good cloud and star movement too. Really like it. I imagine the orb on the stairs was a bit tough. :LOL:
:LOL: Yeah i realised that once i started spinning, thanks for the comments.

Ill have to have a go then down the local beach when the weathers a bit better! Really like your orbs submission! That location is a great setting!

Yeah you should try it out, its really simple. (y)

Bogged down on January, had a few personal interests to deal with and support my girlfriend for a bit of time, followed by the man flu and a bad knee operation.

Raring to get going now in Feb.

Next up

Multiplicity
Triptych
Contre Jour
Bubbles
Water drops/water splash
Natural Light

Tough list this month but im on the case :)

Best orb shot so far I'd say!! Great location, great exposure (nice to see almost daylight!), nice colour to the orbs, and a lovely composition. The only slight niggle is the less than perfect shape of the middle orb.

Great work!

Cracking orb. Nice detail and great location.

I was unsure on your Physiogram, but now feel that the lack of sharpness really adds to it.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Here is my very first attempt at multiplicity, the weather has seriously annoyed me of late so I need to try and stay in and get rid of the man flu.

Anyway, simple 3 shot photo of some of my gear - 70-200 f/2.8 IS II 135L 100L macro and 2x 600EX flashes

Last edited:
Sadly only managed 2 shots tonight due to a malfunction, oh well these will do for now.

Last edited:
Nice to see different takes on this theme.
Would maybe like to have seen it a bit lighter as it seems a tad under exposed. Either that or a light table cloth on the table.

Agree 100% it was a lame attempt on my part to be honest. Just fun to mess about, thanks for the comments. :)

Hi Derek.

Multiplicity, great shot, and what a line up, but I think for this trick to truly work it has to be surprising/impossible. OK, so for most of us owning all that gear IS impossible, but it does just look like a shot of a load of gear.

Still, if you have man flue you should be forgiven anything! Women just don't get it do they?!

Your water drops are superb! If I had to choose I'd go for the green one, but have no particular reason for that. I love both shots :)

Last edited:
Thanks Mark, the flu and weather outside is seriously getting to me at the moment, ill hopefully bounce back and get a better multiplicity one soon. :)

Sunshine the day after 3" of snow and a wee trip to the beach. Beautiful day and all natural light.

Last edited:
Man flu? I sympathise, I hope you have recovered fully from such a terrible ordeal! :LOL:

Water drops are fantastic. I prefer the shape and position in the frame of the first one. They're both great, the green one has a bit more movement in it.

Your natural light shot makes me want to be there. Bet it's colder than it looks!

I love the simplicity and shallow DoF in your natural light shot. It's one of those images you keep coming back to :)

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately i will no longer be taking place in this challenge.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

That's a shame :( Even more of a shame that you've taken your photo's down :shrug:

Back