Dom's 52 for 2019 - Week 19 "Decay"

Crowd
You're right, that is some lovely light. It fits the theme, but more than just that, it is a good photo.

Fab light withthe crowd waiting to tog it!

Very nicely done. I think for no tripod, that's a great image, plus you've got the crowd to tick the box. Looks a lovely pier
Thanks Ian.

Hi Dom

I think that is possibly a better photo with the crowd in it than just a sunset on its own. Leadin lines work well.

Pete
Thanks Pete.

Crowd is a good image, very nicely taken and keeping the crowd in view.
Thanks Dave.

It might not have been what you where after but I think it works, looks good to me
Thanks Allan.

Works well, great pier shot with a crowd that don't intrude on the beautiful sunset.
Thanks Clive.

CROWD - as mentioned, the composition is bang on. Great capture.
Thanks Bob.

Crowd
You're right, that is some lovely light. It fits the theme, but more than just that, it is a good photo.
Thanks Dominic.

Fab light withthe crowd waiting to tog it!
Thanks Dave.

Week 19 - Decay + Technique Macro

Found this left over Tomato still attached to its plant from last year. The Plant had died and was more of a stick and the tomato had dried out in the sun. Brought it inside and tried a few set ups, tripod, hand held, different rooms etc. I am reverse mounting a canon fd film lens to my fuji, so no IS & I manually have to hold the lens mechanism to make the aperture blades move (otherwise it stays wide open all the time). No AF or MF on the lens when mounted this way, so focus is achieved by moving backwards and forwards.

This one was handheld but resting on the window sill. ISO 12800 (crazy! but the fuji can handle it) so I could keep F11 in the light available. Starting to look grainy, but as a film guy as well, I quite like that. Well worth the £7.99 for the adaptor to reverse the lens. Looking forward to the rest of the macro themes. Might post a picture later of the set up as it does look odd!

40884480813_e1b30e55c2_k.jpg

Flickr

Last edited:
That's really cool Dom. I'm glad you started off explaining what it was, as I wasn't sure. You've achieved a fantastic image considering all you had to do to get there. Especially hand held and having to move yourself instead of an auto-focus - shocking state of affairs! Well done

Hi Dom,

Food - Hmm, sorry but a bit too cluttered, and if you were going for blur to remove the clutter, it doesn't feel blurred enough.
Smooth - Loving the colour of the vinyl and the effect you've achieved with the exposure.
Above - Not feeling the love for this one either. Possibly the exposure, possibly because the sky is a bit nothing.
I do prefer the re-edit.
Hot - Flame shots can be difficult. I remember the one I did a few years ago took quite a bit of work.
This works nicely with a strong black and also detail. (y)
Light - Interesting effect. The blur almost makes it look like a toy. I wouldn't have guessed Clifton.
Crowd - Okay, I think the shot from there, from above, is a better shot than it would have been from the beach. Nicely done.
Decay - Not really sure what to say on this one. It certainly fits the theme and has allowed you to tick off the technique.
I like the use of the blue against the orange too.

Looks like some kind of fungus certainly fits the theme , quite an interesting shot

Great Image Dom, thanks for the write up on how it was done, very clean shot for that ISO. Well beyond my Macro capabilities.

Pete

That is such a creative image Dom, very impressive!:clap:
Kudos for doing it the 'old fashoined' way too - can't have been easy holding all those bits and pieces steady to get the shot, but you nailed it!
Great textures and a really interesting subject....fascinating indeed!

I really like this! Great macro shot and right on theme. Like others have said, i'd never have guessed it was a tomato. Sounds like you had fun with the set-up too!

Last edited:
Back