weekly DrRusty's 52 Challenge Week 6 - Mineral

Hi Richard

not sure anyone is ever really 100% happy with their own shots....we are all our own worst crit's at time...frustrating ain't it :rolleyes:

Like the fun shot for Close , you've given your own crit ......will we see a version with the shadow ?

Hi Richard

not sure anyone is ever really 100% happy with their own shots....we are all our own worst crit's at time...frustrating ain't it :rolleyes:

Like the fun shot for Close , you've given your own crit ......will we see a version with the shadow ?

Thank you

I just need to sit down at the computer again with some spare time to have another go at the PP.

I hope it will be up next week, especially if I go simple this week and knock out my bubblr photo quickly.

Week 4 - Bubble
by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Week 4 - Bubble

Week 4 - Bubble Crop

(Tighter crop)

After an initial thought this would be easy deciding on the composition was tricky. Anyway need an easy week this week as too much else going on and need time to re-edit last weeks photo.

Cutting the bar without "crushing" the bubbles was impossible, maybe I needed a sharper knife and chilled bar.

Last edited:
Cropped image for me Richard (y), meks mi mouth water :D

Did wonder if it looked a little bright? :thinking:

The cropped for me too - although maybe a crop from the lower bar would avoid the distracting shadows you get under the higher up ones?

Cropped version for me

Nice piece of work....kind of abstract feel to it. I would be tempted to clone out that little triangular piece of white background though.

Good job there all round ;)

Last edited:
Cropped for me. The bubbles, we found, were better if we snapped the bar rather than cutting it. They look me real that way.

Thank You - That makes sense !! I had wanted even pieces but better bubbles would have been better. I also think I would have been better if I had chilled it before cutting.

We will all be experts in Aero chocloate photograph after this week ;-)

Agree that cropped image works best. Good shot - but no marks for making me crave chocolate!

OMG more bubbly chocolate - I'm well jel - really do not have the chocolate options over here :(

My vote would go to #1 Richard (y)
I particularly like the transition of light between the chocolate from top to bottom. Good work!

Close – I prefer the brightness of the character in the edit but with the shadow in the original. It makes it look less floating in mid-air by its inclusion

Bubble -Nice idea and well taken. I would have been tempted to somehow (?) align the layers of chocolate so the gaps were more even - you can see the bottom of the chocolate on the top layer but a white gap towards the bottom. I bet a reshoot will be difficult though. If you are anything like me the chocolate will have been long gone :rolleyes:

Hi Richard, I've hardly eaten this week (stomach bug) and now all I want to eat is Aero!!:)

Again I prefer the tighter crop but I do like the pattern from the first one!

Hi Richard, I've hardly eaten this week (stomach bug) and now all I want to eat is Aero!!:)

Again I prefer the tighter crop but I do like the pattern from the first one!

Thank you.

I hope you are feeling better and on the mend.

Thank you - It seems like there is a split decision on this one.

Now off to think about smoke ?!?!

Week 5 - Smoke

Week 5 - Smoke

Week 5 - Smoke 2

Behind this week as work really took priority. Hopefully I can catch up with mineral before Friday and be back on track.

Focus was the pain and probably not 100% but no time or spare indoor fireworks to try again. Something to think about next time. I might use two speed lights either side next time or a lamp as I wasn't convinced by the reflector (set up photo on Flickr)

Last edited:
Number 1 for bubble for me, love the shapes.

Also number 1 when it comes to smoke, I think in this case less is more.

I agree I prefer the first just thought the other one wasn't too bad.

I had forgotten to add that I used some indoor fireworks
Watch "Indoor Fireworks Pack" on YouTube
(3.06 mins) puff the magic dragon.

I think the swirls etc effects produced are fantastic :)

Definitely prefer #1 as the patterns are far more accentuated. Good shot.

Yep number one for me too Richard, there is plenty of well caught smoke in the second, just I feel more finer detail in the first, both seem very well lit (y)

Thank you. I just followed a few idiots guides and had a go. Definately something to try again either with athe traditional insense stick or try and get some more indoor fireworks. I'm making enquires already :)

Back