weekly Ecniv - TP 52 2021

you can really see the velvety texture of the petals look like the ants like the flowers too.

Hi ecniv

I'm not sure about the focus, as it appears to be on the far left flower and ohh on the ant as well. colours and the texture look nice.

Pete

Glad to see you got the thread sorted. yes, you keep this thread going to post all your shots over the year. It'll grow quite long :)
Interesting how shallow the DoF is considering it was shot at f/8. You mention macro on flickr, you have a macro adapter perhaps? (Sorry, I know nothing about Leicas).

@LC2 : Leica m10 + novoflex Adapter -> Nikon F -> Nikkor 105mm macro
Yes I think its the full frame effect as I didn't have that on the D300, focus plane seems to be really thin, which then is very limiting as there is not enough light...
I think the lens can go down to 3.3 at full macro... but I feel that may impact the pictures a bit ;D

@seaodyssey : Thanks. Was trying to get a petal in focus, minor breeze and this is macro, so means a lot of wobbling. Plus hand held. here is a full normal size type picture

@fujidave : the blob on the right hmmm... bokeh of the door/fence frame I think. Something to remind myself to be more aware of, side/background... Thanks!

@minx : yes they/there are ants, the 2mm max size... :D

Thanks you for the feedback

I think I might have given that a crop off the bottom right to lose the bright blob. Possibly even from both sides as the LHS background is a little busy.

But the colours and the DoF on the subject itself are lovely!

I love the tones on the flowers in 'Nearby', but I find the background a little distracting.

The lighting and the black background are really nice on the Papaya, but I wonder if a tiny bit more dof, or alternatively the focus slightly forward might improve it (to my eyes, obviously).

I like the tones and colours in the Papaya, but it's quite noisy.

I looked at your settings on flickr and saw you shot it at f/16, which means a pretty high ISO of 1600. I can't do the calculations but if you'd opened up the aperture you could definitely have reduced that noise in it.

Do you have a tripod?

The strong colours of the fruit look good with the black back ground.

Good work, but I think I can see a better shot there ... some of those seeds embedded into the flesh.

It wouldn't have been immediately obvious what it was ...

Last edited:
Fruit
I like the pov, the diagonal composition and the two pips sitting on the orange flesh.

Nicely hits the theme & tech.
I too would have tried to get the focal point a little bit closer to the front of the Papaya, perhaps on the clump of seeds bottom right?
The DoF really is quite shallow considering f/16. The Nikkor 105 macro again?

I like the framing but would have put the point of focus a bit further forward.

Nice Strong orange colour against the black, focus is not in the best place, have you tried focus stacking, is it available with your software.

Pete

I'm probably going to put them all in here,
That's the correct way (y)
Right click the current post number ( top right)
and click copy link address, that's the one to hyper link, from the front page.

Papaya, I'd have cropped it even tight for the tech.
There is quite a lot of dead space to the left.
Nice image and interesting use of DoF

That's the correct way (y)
Right click the current post number ( top right)
and click copy link address, that's the one to hyper link, from the front page.

Papaya, I'd have cropped it even tight for the tech.
There is quite a lot of dead space to the left.
Nice image and interesting use of DoF
So 'technically' not tech then.. I'll bear in mind for the next theme and pictures... I have until the end of feb to put it in - right?

Colours in the papaya are great, but I'm not sure about the focus point. There's a great shot there, and you've very nearly got it. The seeds in the background look really nice.

The composition feels a bit awkward to me and needs to either be closer, or further back. Really nice vibrant colours that contrast with the black seeds though. I see you've decided it's not a filled frame too :) I agree

Thank you for the feedback
@LC2 - yup 105 macro. I do like it... lit with p40 pro light on phone.. in daylight too, but inside... Hand held
@Harlequin565 - so either more in focus or more focused closer and tighter.
@Shugpug - ah yeah, more near the front is liked by more people. Got it. I was going for the two lone seeds. but yeah I see what you mean.
@seaodyssey - using LR (the monthly subscription one). not tried stacking yet, maybe in the near future
@Cloudforest - seems to be the general consensus :)
@NickD - as above :)
@Kell - actually I do... but it's all the setting up and finding that it cannot get close to the counter top due to leg spread etc... I also like the cleaner pictures with the lower ISO. But I'll bear that in mind for the future (and try not to be as lazy)

I agree with some of the other comments.. there seems to be something in the composition that isn't helping but I can't quite work it out. Good colours in there to work with.

So 'technically' not tech then.. I'll bear in mind for the next theme and pictures... I have until the end of feb to put it in - right?
I'd say "it's close enough" but if you want to have another try at some point feel free. (y)
And Yes this one is Jan & Feb the next one will be the 4th March through April.

So after the initial "hmm... neat! I can.. uh wait..." thoughts, I took the following... not happy with the final one (that I chose) so if there is a replace later on option....

Dirty with the leaves...

Still Dirty with the leaves, but different angle

Final one I am going to use
Bottom of the family's Parrots cage... Definately dirty.

@Cobra Yeah too much space, I see I really ned to fill it.. so,,, by the end of Feb.. :)

Last edited:
What aren't you happy with on the one you chose?

There's not much I'd change on it TBH. Try and get a bit straighter on to the cage, perhaps. There are lots of lines going on, so it might be better resolved if the horizontals were horizontal.

Other than that, it's a nice idea behind it and a better submission for the theme than the other two.

All IMHO of course.

That path and drain looks nice, but not for the dirty theme.

The cage yes ...

The path is too clean.... now mine is dirty! :ROFLMAO:

The cage works well though, although I fear your parrot may be a drinker!

Definitley a mucky one. Nicely thought out.

Is that the Times, I know that parrots are clever.

The other shots are too tidy for the theme with just the odd leaf about.

Pete

Dirty
They all have their merits, but your main thread shot is probably the dirtiest.

The cage definitely ticks the dirty box for me. I think I’d like to have seen the detritus a little more in focus - did you manually focus? The blurry foreground bars work well to keep the context.

I agree the parrot cage is the best one for the theme

What aren't you happy with on the one you chose?

There's not much I'd change on it TBH. Try and get a bit straighter on to the cage, perhaps. There are lots of lines going on, so it might be better resolved if the horizontals were horizontal.

Other than that, it's a nice idea behind it and a better submission for the theme than the other two.

All IMHO of course.
It's just ... meh. I had another one in mind. But it works

Is that the Times, I know that parrots are clever.

The other shots are too tidy for the theme with just the odd leaf about.

Pete
Would have to be really clever for the Times... Shot in brasil, so local paper here I think it is... or was

The cage definitely ticks the dirty box for me. I think I’d like to have seen the detritus a little more in focus - did you manually focus? The blurry foreground bars work well to keep the context.
Only Manual available :)
Don;t remember leaving it at f2.4, but perhaps more to f5.6 might be better... Just going to test the lens/camera settings again to make sure the leica isn't making it up...

Back