weekly Elaine's 52 for 2015 - Christmas added - finished!

Bold ... the flowers for me ... a lovely colourful happy image. (y)

Relax ... some nice props there, nicely done. Re the flower ... a smaller flower in a smaller vase might avoid zooming out and losing detail.

relax fits the theme for me, could also be one for bliss lol, I agree that the top of the flowers was missed but otherwise it looks great :)

HI Elaine

I just love the frog shot for Watery , lovely n sharp, well placed in the frame with little puddles in front & the the rear of the image :clap:

Relax.....nice collection of objects , soft lighting & very on theme :) I can't help thinking a slightly lower POV would have improved it & possibly allowed you to get all the lily/orchid flower things in frome, & it does seem a touch soft :thinking:

Hi Elaine, can't be long till you go on your holidays again :LOL: really like the bird on the beach for "watery" and the monkey for "bold as brass"
as for relax the top of the flowers has been mentioned and i think it needs a little more light but quite a pleasing composition

Love the composition and the general idea and right on theme for me. Very relaxing. Agree with the flower comments but a good effort.

Bold - it's the flowers for me (y)

Relax - good idea and I like that it is subdued, top of flower already mentioned but for me you need to straighten the Jo Malone bottle and also make sure the top is on straight - it feels like nit-picking but it can make a big difference. (never knew I had OCD til I started this challenge ;))

Bold Monkey looking surprised is awesome. I want one.

I like your interpretation of Relax. Agree with the above comments about the flower chop and the lighting side of things, especially @posiview's comments.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm not quite sure why I cropped the flowers where I did. I think there were a few more out of shot at the top and I felt that I needed to crop it somewhere so that just happened to be what I thought was the best place, but d00d's suggestion of a lower pov is a good one and would probably have allowed me to get them all in.

Week 9 Vertical. It's a shame this one didn't come up when I was in Kuala Lumpur, because I've got some cracking shots of the Petronas Twin Towers that would have been perfect for the theme :( Still, never let it be said that I'm not committed to taking new shots and when I saw this one on Friday I knew what I wanted to try and capture. So, to avoid traffic and the threat of rain, by 8.30 this SUNDAY morning me and my camera were in my local town centre - talk about dedication! By sheer fortune, a rare little patch of sunshine appeared in just the right place at the right moment to really bring out the mellow tones of the reflected mill and chimney. My one disappointment is the brightly coloured poster in the window, but moving further left to get it out of shot meant I lost most of the old mill in the reflection, so I was stuck between a rock and a hard place and in the end decided to keep both in :thinking:

k1w8lk.jpg

Thought I'd have a go at a mono conversion to try and get rid of the poster distraction. Not quite sure about this? The windows with their blinds down look a lot more blown than the original tinted glass.

242691v.jpg

Hi Elaine, was going to say about shooting the building more straight on but having read your explanation about losing the chimney, it would have been a pity if you had lost it

out of the two I think I prefer the colour one I know what you are saying about the poster but it wasn't the first thing that caught my eye, the writing on the chimney was
it looks like "hat museum" though I am sure I am wrong

Hi Elaine, was going to say about shooting the building more straight on but having read your explanation about losing the chimney, it would have been a pity if you had lost it

out of the two I think I prefer the colour one I know what you are saying about the poster but it wasn't the first thing that caught my eye, the writing on the chimney was
it looks like "hat museum" though I am sure I am wrong
That's exactly what it says Allan! Don't tell me you've never heard of Stockport's famous Hat Museum? ;) The vertical text on the vertical chimney was one of the things that made me think of this subject when I saw the theme, but unfortunately the design of the windows meant I couldn't quite get the first "M" properly in shot. Could have crossed over the road and shot it directly the right way round, but then I'd have lost the vertical windows. o_O

Here's yet another edit with a bit of selective colour tweaking on the poster. I think this is probably the best I'm going to get.

259hoxs.jpg

I think you may be being a little over critical of the first image. The chimney was the first thing I saw, and then the deep blues of the windows. The poster wasn't really a distraction until you mentioned it ;)
I prefer the colour shots to the mono one. Not sure if I prefer the muted tones on the poster or not though.
Either way, spot on theme.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim. I think the poster is one of those things that once you've seen it, it just gets more and more annoying :grumpy:

That's a neat idea Elaine ... difficult set-up, you've done well.

#3 with the desaturated poster (y)

Hi Elaine,

nice shot. The poster didn't leap out at me either, so you're robably being harsh on yourself. That said, I do think the third version's the best :)

The BW version is the one for me.
Well spotted.

Clever. Didn't notice the chimney at first.

Thanks for all the comments. It seems that opinion is divided on the poster :LOL:

Maybe I should have explained my thinking behind the shot a bit better. The main aim was obviously to illustrate this week's theme with the vertical chimney and vertical writing reflected in the vertical windows, but I was also hoping to portray the juxtaposition of the town's gritty industrial heritage against the sleek face of modern commercial architecture. I suppose though if I need to explain it, I was probably being a bit over-ambitious and trying to achieve too much in the first place :rolleyes:

I suppose though if I need to explain it, I was probably being a bit over-ambitious and trying to achieve too much in the first place :rolleyes:
I got it Elaine :) and to that end the Mono works better, but as a "straight" image the colour (edit) works better.
Very clever (y)

Thanks Cobra. Glad somebody else's brain works along similar lines to mine :)

Should I be worried? :D
Hmmm, quite possibly. Seeing as mine's been poked around a lot and zapped with radioactive nastiness, it's probably no longer at its peak performance level :wacky:

Thank you for the comments. For this week's theme, I decided to take advantage of my child-minding duties and I've ended up with two different shots. No child abuse was involved, the foot is his own! I'm not particularly happy with the lighting and the skin tones look a bit odd on both shots, which I think is possibly down to reflected light from the top he was wearing and which I've not had much luck at correcting in pp. Ideally, I should have re-shot with him wearing a white top, but by that time he'd run out of patience :exit:

#1 Put your foot in your mouth

2qn4hvs.jpg

#2 Zip your mouth

1z20q4w.jpg

Hi Elaine, well done for trying something different, unlike myself, both work for me I think I prefer the second one as the first one is a little to odd

I am with the majority above here. Second image works better. A great interpretation of the theme.

Two nice interpretations this week Elaine, both work for me :)

I like both of them Elaine, good interpretations of the theme. Last time I was able to get my foot in my mouth was when I was about 6 months old, although I've put it there metaphorically many times :eek:

2 great ideas in a week that could be so predictable.
Picture 2 for me also as my fav of the 2 and an early contender for my picture of the week (y)

Back