weekly Fuji Dave`s Weekly 52 Challenge 2020 WEEK 52 DECORATIONS

I completely agree Dave - best to keep yourself occupied if possible. I'm sure Susie appreciates you giving her lots of attention too.

Your iris is beautiful. Is it against a black background or have you done something clever with the lighting?

Well done with capturing the hoverfly. Tricky things to photograph and he's lovely and sharp against a nice blurry background.

Thank you Bebop, the Iris is outside so I did a little bit of editing in C1 to bring the BG a lot darker to make the iris pop.

Last edited:
Beautiful colours on that Iris, Dave and well done with that hoverfly. I've been chasing them around the garden but got nowhere close yet.

Keep strong.

Good to see you keeping busy Dave. Photography has been my go to when things are not good for a long time.

Love that Iris shot - perfect for the theme!

Great colours in #1 Dave, and well caught on the hoverfly too (y)

First one for me Dave, lovely colours and the lighting is fab. :)

Very colourful Dave, so bang on theme.
As you were going for a black background, I would have been tempted to go smaller than f/4 to get a deeper DoF, as you don't need to use the focal point to attract the eye here. (Looks like there was plenty of latitude in the settings).
Or was it a deliberate choice to go shallow?

Very colourful Dave, so bang on theme.
As you were going for a black background, I would have been tempted to go smaller than f/4 to get a deeper DoF, as you don't need to use the focal point to attract the eye here. (Looks like there was plenty of latitude in the settings).
Or was it a deliberate choice to go shallow?

Thank you Tim, I will try and remember on the shallow bit next time but yes I was trying for a black BG but ended up doing it in C1 in the end.

I agree with Tim @LC2 about the DoF there seemed to be a bit of an obsession in the Fuji thread a while ago about shooting every pic wide open.
I do take a lot of flower pics and generally use f11 or maybe f8 even then with a macro lens the DoF is still quite shallow. regardless of that it’s still a nice picture, so bang on theme.
How long did it take to get the hover fly shot, I had a go the other day and got nothing.

I agree with Tim @LC2 about the DoF there seemed to be a bit of an obsession in the Fuji thread a while ago about shooting every pic wide open.
I do take a lot of flower pics and generally use f11 or maybe f8 even then with a macro lens the DoF is still quite shallow. regardless of that it’s still a nice picture, so bang on theme.
How long did it take to get the hover fly shot, I had a go the other day and got nothing.

Thank you Allan, I do need to try other f N0 on the 80mm. On the hover fly shot it was the third go as was just using auto focus.

No 1for me Dave a truly beautiful image. The Hover fly shot is also a cracker but No 1 just jumps off the screen.

Hope you're doing okay Dave.
The light and shadows on the iris create a slightly abstract image which looks great. Nice one.

Two cracking b&w pictures, Fuji Acros mode in the X100V? I think I like the windmill the most.

Love the windmill - just needs a door under it for Windy Miller :D

Nice shots for old, suits the B&W too.

The windmill is rather lovely - great conversion as well. Nicely framed, and it looks like the lighting was perfect for it as well.

Hope you and yours are holding up ok.

Lovely old windmill Dave. Nicely taken and processed

The windmill is rather lovely - great conversion as well. Nicely framed, and it looks like the lighting was perfect for it as well.

Hope you and yours are holding up ok.
Lovely old windmill Dave. Nicely taken and processed
Surely Windy Militant (Half Man Half Biscuit - Trumpton Riots)
View attachment 279256

I think I prefer #2 Dave. For me the windmill would have needed moodier skies, though there is no faulting the clarity of it :)

Thanks folks.

Back