weekly Gramps' Photo52 2012 - Week 30 'Contrast' added

Early morning stretch did mine - seems stupid!
Not quite so painful today and managed a few hours at the Bristol meet, (just back), but the knee got the better of me and had to break off early regretably.
Still got week 16 & now 17 to do!

I too would maybe have liked to see a colour version not sure about the b/w

Entrance - I like number 3 best Gramps gets the top slot

Soft - like it in mono but think it would look better in vibrant colour.

Sorry to hear you've hurt your knee, hope your up and about soon. Strap it up and take plenty of pain killers. Keep Calm and Soldier on (y)

Best wishes,

Nick

Okay, late entry and 'Pride' is a joker I guess as I decided to use a previous entry but give it a twist in processing ... not what I wanted to do but better than giving up!

_RJB0818-1.jpg

This week's theme of 'short' had me struggling as well but walking in Gloucester Docks today, exercising the knee, the theme sort of stepped out in front of me! ...

_RJB1107.jpg

Just 'hanging on in there' really with this project!

It's tough sometimes looking for inspiration Gramps but hang in there....

I like your PP on the boat, looks like late 50s early 60s hand coloured images.

'Short' - fit's the theme well, it's good you're getting about and doing a bit of exercise. Next week your knee and theme will be better !

Nick

Stick with us Gramps, you know it'll be worth it!

Pride - I agree, using a previous shot but edited different is definitely better than giving up! I like what you did here with the PP(y)

Short - :LOL: Initially I wondered what you were getting at, I guess I don't naturally look at other women's bums!!!! I would consider cropping the lamp post out on the left, yes you may chop the gents arm off a bit but it will draw the eye more where you want it!

But then do many of you lot need your eyes drawing in:cautious: not!!!

I've not had a flash of inspiration yet for short! I have taken lots of shots today, whether I can fit the theme we'll see! I'm hoping for a bolt of lightning like I got for pride!

I would consider cropping the lamp post out on the left, yes you may chop the gents arm off a bit but it will draw the eye more where you want it!

What lamp post? What gent?

Last edited:
It's tough sometimes looking for inspiration Gramps but hang in there....

I like your PP on the boat, looks like late 50s early 60s hand coloured images.

'Short' - fit's the theme well, it's good you're getting about and doing a bit of exercise. Next week your knee and theme will be better !

Nick

Thanks Nick, I have to be fit for the weekend - all day togging in the New Forest!

Short - :LOL: Initially I wondered what you were getting at, I guess I don't naturally look at other women's bums!!!! I would consider cropping the lamp post out on the left, yes you may chop the gents arm off a bit but it will draw the eye more where you want it!

Ah, you've misunderstood Marsha ... 'short' was the gent's jacket ;)

What lamp post? What gent?

:LOL:

Hang in there Gramps, once you are on the mend I am sure you will come storming back into this 52.

Pride is a little bit of a joker but like you said you've given it a new twist with your processing so (y)
I like the processing on pride, it gives it a 70's feel.

Short, I think needs a little bit of tidying, I feel its a little cluttered.
The red/white pole coming out of the top of the blokes head being cloned out and the litter on the ground between the females legs too.

Its on theme and keeps you up to date so good work. Iain

The red/white pole coming out of the top of the blokes head being cloned out and the litter on the ground between the females legs too.

Amazing the things that you don't notice! :bonk:

Pride - I'm afraid that the pp'ing does nothing for me. I keeping wondering what the man is doing though

Short - On theme. In trying to get some inspiration I even played this which is fitting for your photo :LOL:

Hi Grams,

Really like the processing on your pride shot, it's made me think i should try different processing on some of my shots....well done.
Short skirt, short boots and she's shorter than he is...maybe not one of your best but keeps you in the game and it's street photography, something i struggle with.

Hope you're better soon.

Carol

Hi....(y) stick with it...we're down to about 20 now...:crying:

Soft...I watched a video today about hi and lo-key....I always thought such photographs were just over or under exposed, which they are, but I assume such photographs that are named, hi and lo-key were meant to be that way.

Difficult circumstances, so I'll just give you a :clap: for submitting.

Pride, really like the guy with the boat, has a 1950-60s postcard feel to it and the guy obviously loves his boat, and just look at them jowls...cracking photograph (y)

Short, again difficult circumstances. I have to admit, I was thinking, "Don't get it, simply don't get it!".

Then, the short dress/skirt thingy. Good catch.

Cheers.

Hi Grams,

Really like the processing on your pride shot, it's made me think i should try different processing on some of my shots....well done.
Short skirt, short boots and she's shorter than he is...maybe not one of your best but keeps you in the game and it's street photography, something i struggle with.

Hope you're better soon.

Carol

Short, great shot and subject matter... :D

Hi....(y) stick with it...we're down to about 20 now...:crying:

Soft...I watched a video today about hi and lo-key....I always thought such photographs were just over or under exposed, which they are, but I assume such photographs that are named, hi and lo-key were meant to be that way.

Difficult circumstances, so I'll just give you a :clap: for submitting.

Pride, really like the guy with the boat, has a 1950-60s postcard feel to it and the guy obviously loves his boat, and just look at them jowls...cracking photograph (y)

Short, again difficult circumstances. I have to admit, I was thinking, "Don't get it, simply don't get it!".

Then, the short dress/skirt thingy. Good catch.

Cheers.

Thanks for commenting folks ... keep me going for another week :D

Soft - Very soft and GREAT with apples in a pie :D I like it, think the processing does the trick for me, so many tones

Pride - A good Joker, nothing wrong with that... good processing and great for the theme

Short - Thats one of my choices gone :LOL: well caught, with it riding up really fits the week well (y)

Keep on in there gramps !!!!

Hi Gramps

my 1st thought was Short People /legs :LOL: lots of shorts...legs , cardy , coat , people , his hair , skirt , boots ,bag strap & she's shorter than him.....you're just being greedy :D Yup there's things you could've cloned out but it's a real life shot & thats what you get ...hang on in there Gramps , we're all behind you (y)

Hi gramps, I'm glad to hear that you are getting out and about now!

I like your short pic, yes the backgound is a bit cluttered but it was still well spotted and taken!

Keep going, I'm sure we'll get an easy week soon!!:LOL:

marsha has me worried cos I got the short skirt straight away :LOL:

also I noticed the litter between her legs but the post is no bother

I do like your boat too

Liking the rework of the boat and the oldy world feel, well done.
Short - good take and on theme, only crit maybe to zoom in on girl/skirt/short legs and loose the clutter which is unnecessary.

This week's theme of 'flight' was a little easier after almost passing the Aircraft Museum near Hurn Airport ... sadly not a complete shot as the exhibit wasn't clear of fencing etc but I got it as clear as I could, albeit a few bits cut off!
Little bit of HDR, hope nobody has a problem with that - single image processed in CS5 and tweaked to satisfaction.

_RJB1262.jpg

That thing doesn't look safe to me :LOL: it doesn't fly does it? :D

I like that Gramps. The colours of the plane are wonderful, and the composition is great. For me the grass is a bit too bright green, but never the less it's a super photo.

the colours lovely but the bits of missing plane don'y really do it for me

Hi Gramps , nice shot the HDR makes the most of those colours. Pity about the missing bits but there was nothing you could do about that.

Carol

That thing doesn't look safe to me :LOL: it doesn't fly does it? :D

:LOL: no - I wouldn't want to fly in any of the exhibits there ... time and weather has taken its toll I'm afraid, but nothing HDR can't spruce-up :D

Flight - great interpretation of the theme. No probs for me with the HDR - I hadn't realised until I read your description which must be a good sign. I think the hedge detracts from the shot - but obviously not much you could do about that!

Beyond the hedge is a main road with constant passing traffic, the 'art' was catching the image without a car/van/lorry in shot so the hedge was at least stationary :D

I like that Gramps. The colours of the plane are wonderful, and the composition is great. For me the grass is a bit too bright green, but never the less it's a super photo.

Doesn't look too bad on my monitor Mark but I think the nature of HDR is to exaggerate colour a bit so you may be right.

the colours lovely but the bits of missing plane don'y really do it for me

Yes I'm annoyed about them, I suppose a cloning job would have been in order.

well as above the hedge but the missing bits I'm not bothered. i like the HDR and i am starting to notice these tweaks now great shot!

Hi Gramps , nice shot the HDR makes the most of those colours. Pity about the missing bits but there was nothing you could do about that.

Carol

I'm gradually learning to tweak HDR to make it less 'grunge' but it's still a learning curve.

Not a great fan of some HDR posted on here but this is an exception where the colours work. If the wheel had been complete you may have got away with the other missing bits.

Doesn't look too bad on my monitor Mark but I think the nature of HDR is to exaggerate colour a bit so you may be right.

Hi Gramps. It's all down to taste anyway, so there is no right and wrong.

I imported your photo into Lightroom and had a play; nothing worth posting here, but it was interesting. I first tried dropping the green saturation, and that didn't work; it just made the green go grey, with no natural look achievable. So them I put the green back where it was, and dropped the yellow, which did a fantastic job on the grass; it became much more natural looking. Only problem is of course that it also desaturated the lovely yellow plane, so you'd have to do it selectively.

I don't know if the yellow component in the green grass is something the HDR has added/enhanced, or whether it's there naturally as reflected light from the plane (don't think so because the hedge has it too), but it really did look an awful lot better without it :) If I get a chance to have a go with a selective edit later, I might post back if that's OK?

Gramps, I tried the edit (yellow reduced to zero in the grass and hedge), and think it looks a lot better; I think the plane stands out better and it looks more natural without losing the benefit of the HDR, BUT I'm probably wrong as no-one else has mentioned it!

20120430-140533-Edit.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Not sure on that Mark, it looks a little washed out on my screen ... I guess with the variation of monitors it will always be difficult to reach a concensus.

In the meantime here's an alternative to 'manned flight'...

fly.jpg

Not sure on that Mark, it looks a little washed out on my screen ... I guess with the variation of monitors it will always be difficult to reach a concensus.

Monitors and eyes too! It'll be interesting to see what others think; my monitor is calibrated, and the green really does look quite yellow in your original, and much more natural in the edit. Certainly not washed out, though definitely less bright. Note that the ONLY thing I changed was the green; the rest is exactly as you had it.

I like that second shot; brilliant capture!

Hi Gramps...

nice plane, still not entirely sure what HDR is or does!!! but it looks good to me....will have to read up about HDR...

what sort of plane is it? the cockpit looks massive!!

Back