Granddad John's 52 in 2018

I like the way the photographers are smiling at the idea of the having a camera turned on them, and also that we can tell what they're looking at by studying the reflection between them. Yes, you could probably get away with a crop on the LHS but my eye was drawn straight to the people anyway.

Stark is a good, original idea and both images work well, but #2 would be my pick. It's the most striking and there is just enough of the electrical equipment in the background to tell the full story.

Over is another original take on the theme and you've picked a good angle for it, and the focus is spot on to draw the eye straight to the flowers. Nice work (y)

Interesting POV (y) ... just wondering if a couple of fallen petals might work!

Week 5 is age. This is Lewissian Gneiss, probably between 2.7 and 3.0 billion years old. This piece collected a couple of years ago on Isle of Lewis, the oldest rocks in the UK

My first go at macro with a recently acquired s/h Sigma 105; it's a lot harder than it looks. Heaven knows what it's like when the subject Moves:D

tp52 2018-0186
by granddad john on Talk Photography

another one from a different angle and different lighting

tp52 2018-0191

Last edited:
Good results John.
I prefer the 1st image, nice and sharp on the front part. not so many distracting shadows.

Pete

Good results John.
I prefer the 1st image, nice and sharp on the front part. not so many distracting shadows.

Pete

Nice take on the theme John the first one for me

Thanks guys. It was tricky trying to get the detail without bleaching it out. the first was with bright sunlight and a bit of fill from the left. The second with fill from the right. i need to practice macro more:) so roll on the next themes

Right on theme, definitely the oldest one we have for this week! But the lighting doesn't quite work for me...

Sharp
For anyone that's played golf on a links or heathland course, will know just how sharp these are.

And indeed, I know and have found out enough times, that they are sharp. Nice shot

My bees need to know where you live as that's the first bloom I've seen this year that they would like. Spines don't bother them.

Good subject, nice colours, slight shame that the tips of the spines are a bit lost against the yellow flowers but we all know how sharp those things are.

I like the yellow flowers behind the green spines, but maybe this photo could have done with a bit more DoF, or maybe just setting the focus right on the tip of that sharp twig.

Age - I prefer the first of the two
Sharp - I would like to see a bit more of it in focus but right on theme and lovely colours

I like the yellow flowers behind the green spines, but maybe this photo could have done with a bit more DoF, or maybe just setting the focus right on the tip of that sharp twig.

Agreed....

Age(ing) - two good images for the theme, but I like the first one, but I think the white balance is a little off.

Sharp - works for the theme and the colours work well, but I think the needles could be a bit sharper.

Sharp love the colour and it fits the theme but like Many days the needles need to be sharper for me

I remember getting some gorse spines in the ancle when I was younger, ouch!

Nice pic and the yellow looks good, a little bit more dof maybe?

Age - I prefer the first of the two
Sharp - I would like to see a bit more of it in focus but right on theme and lovely colours

Age(ing) - two good images for the theme, but I like the first one, but I think the white balance is a little off.

Sharp - works for the theme and the colours work well, but I think the needles could be a bit sharper.

Thanks all guys, yes you're all right. Only excuse was it was incredibly windy and I was'nt able to hold the damn stuff it was so prickly. Shots looked OK on the camera but were to shallow when i got them home. One for a reshoot I think:(

Struggled with this week. Lacking inspiration so reverted to yet another bit of signage.:)

tp7-0297

and this is what they're guarding. There's several more powerboats in this paddock, but I've never actually seen a dog. I suspect it's for show.:D

tp7-0295

Last edited:
Works for me John I did think of the sort of image. Nice use of DoF on the first one

You should have nipped in there and turned the boat round so it was heading into the picture and to prove the guard dog was there.

On Theme.

Pete

I think a crop would improve it .....

aCxK9_77KFTyr5Ft3WKW5IS2cfDqx_F3ijltkR2kdMQML0BU_L1k3bli6DJ2MyglMmB-zVdkQOT2mYyCXZ0wBxPR_D3yuq62Fj6e1zD_GY5jQE4BXNqdt3Zt4EuGKZ5ez5cDf3Lmo5osGTvOkR63de5RIRBEvgNODwBfJNBRRE87VhVZUvRT_Xkqt9pE3uFwZ2cCzvnY1nrZOd660j4pe5wpSoLqdPx7f472cGtLLaPQjCwdTnuhu_59m-XnvSKAdg0gPykn79kQ3CRU-9OAq9tIjwkTa5GPRIJuVbhr9Xkyjy7vMlAwomqlcbHJGRX4mJJ_eXzW3oHY9mv4O2wsiCHtAoT1wcuh-btWiCeQ0OsUNaLN93P2d-IJ0Xb3V2I4KPpN4qexKk6aVhx22MfeabjVTi_7olQsLrOHon8jqjh5spbTKKs4pVkPqNLyHcRimz0UKaHF9tQUXtKW1kfFeDHjtymSJAIUstqAJB0bDBRC9OUgoC2PhG2t0ICi0vrIXy54_HMwGSXZzJkJTMxgjTD66Y_ujrzha-ymzCwsAaBzcr40Ij5hq2PBx-mNrhdTIxKMeSYs7bbrBq0xYVa3FgFVN-Rwrz4v3ZTTxgU=w614-h455-no

Hi John,
I think on-balance I like the wider shot with the speedboat in it as it gives the sign some context.
I appreciate you were only posting it to give people context, but...
@d00d's crop then moves it firmly into the lead :)

... you really think so! I was near regretting my abruptness.
Not at all Dave, Always happy to see improvements. This was a late option as the weather didn't allow first choice. I get so rushed and focused on one idea it's difficult sometimes to step back and look at other options.:)

I get so rushed and focused on one idea it's difficult sometimes to step back and look at other options.:)
I have this very same problem. I think of an idea, focus on how I'm going to do it, then when it doesn't work, I rush around trying to find something else.

My first thought when thick came up was 'as thick as 2 short planks' but I couldn't find any planks thick enough or short enough to make the shot work. lol. Yours is great except for maybe chopping the top off the tree.

Back