Granddad John's 52 in 2018

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Here we go then. Looking forward to a year when I can keep up to date and find a little more creativity in my photos.

What a fantastic sculpture nice start to this years 52

Worth getting up early for, it stands out well against the sky, nicely composed.

It's a fish isn't it John?
It's a very interesting thing to have available. And fair play getting up early enough to lose the people.

Maybe something for later, but to save the early mornings you might want to have a go at using the statistics script in PS to remove things that change across multiple images (people etc.)

(I need to try this too)

It's a fish isn't it John?
Tim it's actually a scallop shell, deconstructed into several pieces. It stands about 3m tall at the highest and it's in stainless steel. The text is taken from Britten's opera Peter Grimes which was based on a local fisherman's story and set in Aldeburgh.

I like the simplicity of the shot and how you have taken it close to the ground so you can see the detail of the shingle leading up to monument.

Very nice scuplture and the low POV works really well.
Clean and simple shot, well done

I too like the low PoV and unusual sculpture, well done for being the early bird and getting a clear shot.

That looks like an intersting scuplture plenty of scope for some abstract images I should think. I like how it stands out form the sky.

Very nicely done (y)

It may be most-photographed but this is no ordinary snap. (y)

What a great sculpture and very nicely photographed too. Really like this one John, well done :D

Great symmetry, very sharp, and great composition with the road leading the eye... As always with 'private' signs I wonder what's behind these gates.

Nice set of gates, you could lose some of the bottom for me

Impressive gates, nice colour in the gatehouses, could perhaps do with a keystone adjustment to get the verticals vertical at the outer edges.

I am going to point out that your verticals aren't...
Impressive gates, nice colour in the gatehouses, could perhaps do with a keystone adjustment to get the verticals vertical at the outer edges.

Thanks guys, was so concerned about getting the horizon straightened (I'm too old to be kneeling down like this:D) that I completely overlooked the w/a distortion. Quite pleased though with the phone camera. I may go back with the SLR and I'll go back and correct the verticals with this one:)

Hi John.
Good find, as you say... nice symmetry, and as for the sky, well it's winter, so you did a good job controlling it.
I am going to point out that your verticals aren't...

Here you go then; tweaked the verticals a bit and cropped closer to the gates. Still not sure about the latter though

20180108_140906-2
by granddad john on Talk Photography

Yeah I like the edit compared to the first one, much more symmetry in the altered version, nice one!

Much prefer the edited version nice subtle colours and the drive beyond to pull you through the gates.

Well composed and good symmetry. I like the road in the first version as it seems to lead me in to the gates more. Would just have probably cloned out the two black marks on the road and left the road as is.

Nice one John (y) .... good symmetry but it's a shame there's more road RHS (not you doing).

A great find for the theme I like the symmetry of the image and I like the crop of some of the foreground in the altered image

Week 0 - Good low viewpoint and the plain sky does not distract your eye from the textures and shading of the sculpture

Week 1 - The edited verticals make a better shot but I miss the foreground leading the way into the shot.

Back