Granddad John's 52 in 2018

Eggs in trays are always good value in the 52s but I really like that wire basket ... a lovely prop on the black BG. (y)

Juxtaposition

For me I like the second shot, I like the basket and the way the cream egg is in the middle of the outer 4.

Great photo! Great DoF, great PoV and I like the colour palette with all egg tones in it (y)

I see four (?) crates of eggs there, have you tried unstacking them and taking a photo where eggs fill the entire frame?

Oval - nice neutral palette, and plenty of ovals works well

Great photo! Great DoF, great PoV and I like the colour palette with all egg tones in it (y)

I see four (?) crates of eggs there, have you tried unstacking them and taking a photo where eggs fill the entire frame?

I was thinking a frame full of those eggs would work well too.......

Thanks all for the kind words.
Not sure how it would have gone down at the local farm shop if I started laying them all out Bernd, I was getting some funny looks already:D

Oval
Lots of ovals there, it's a bit bright in the top left, but not blown.

Hi John, Really like your wet shot, very dramatic. Great idea for juxtaposition, I think I like the basket one best. Oval is another good shot, good dof and interesting angle :D

Eggs-cellent idea for Juxtaposition, John, with immediate contrasts in the colours and texture as well as the egg/chocolate contrast too. I think the most pleasing image is the second one with the high viewpoint showing the chocolate egg standing out really well against all the others.
Oval is a super shot, well composed from the corner with the focus dropping away nicely and gentle light and tones (y)

Week 15 Unattractive. I know it's a lovely bright colour but the complete monoculture of oil seed rape around here is really unattractive to me. From the air it looks like the whole countryside is jaundiced:D:)

20180420_112842
by granddad john on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Somewhat better than fields full of blue photovoltaic panels as is the norm here in Cornwall. Plus, as a beekeeper this stuff is good for a first fillip for my bees.

Hi John,

Straight - Good find for the theme. Could you have gotten more central possibly? Or was this an artistic decision ?
Unattractive - I can understand how too much of that does indeed look unattractive. I'm fortunate that the landscape I regularly travel through has rape seed, but also has other crops. You've managed to give this a never ending feel, which mirrors your thoughts on fields of yellow.

The straight rows of straight trees work well for the theme, but the lovely yellow flowers are not unattractive in my opinion :)

Hi John

Straight is a pleasing image .... soft greens against a blue sky, looks like spring has finally sprung. (y)

Unattractive .... Nah :)

Straight - a pretty image and fits the theme nicely done.
Unattractive - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I like others quite like to see a field of flowers especially over one of solar panels. I am sure there are some Hayfever sufferers that also hate the sight of them

Straight - Works for me nicely captured.

Unattractive - A different take on the theme but like other I find them to be quite attractive to look at.

The big shoehorn catch-up

Shadow

tp52_16-133736

more shadow:)

tp52_16-1020347

Some more of the beautiful Aubergine restaurant

tp52_17-1020379

tp52_17-1020377

tp52_17-1020381

This doesn't really do justice to way these little boats were hauled up under the cliff for shelter, but it definitely had a low roof:D

tp52_18-1020391

Last edited:
Straight - a lovely simple take on the theme and I like the detail on the trees.
Unattractive - I got to say I am not a fan of rapeseed, it upsets my hayfever. I however dont actually find this image unattractive
Shadow - I prefer the second image with the shadow of the tree, looks like a lovely place.
Beautiful - a couple of nice pleasing images to look at.
Low - works for the theme for me and well done on the catch up, I got some catching up of my own to do.

Well someone’s been on their holidays well caught up even if they are a bit shoehorny I’m with Dave I think low is the pic of the bunch

Hi John,
Shadow - The tree for me, as the image is simpler, the shadow becomes more the focus of the shot, so it fits the theme better for me.
Beautiful - I thought perhaps you were making a focal point of the lovely looking table in #1, but with the legs cut off at the bottom it couldn't be. Nice images, but none really sell the theme for me. I do like the brightness / punchiness of them.
Low - Great for the theme. The colour of the boat contrasts with the rock and concrete which i think helps the image work well.

Shadow - I prefer the second image with the shadow of the tree, looks like a lovely place
Great catch up John, good shots and all on theme with low being my pic.
Shadow - The tree for me, as the image is simpler, the shadow becomes more the focus of the shot, so it fits the theme better for me.

Thank you guys. Yes they're all shorhorns! As I couldn't get the themes until I got home I thought I'd use the holiday snaps. the first shadow was the one that struck me at the moment as the figure itself looks like another shadow, but I agree the second one is more clear. the low roof on the boat is indeed the only one truly on theme. thanks for taking the time and I'll be looking for a match soon.

Hope you had a nice holiday! All more or less on theme, the first one for shadow is my favourite!

Back