Granddad John's 52 in 2018

Thanks guys. Yes I had to crank the exposure up a bit and the shadows in PP, but was glad to be able to keep the starburst.

Week 27 is an elegant return with the tide and minimal sail. Lucky shot of the distant yacht caught in full sail.

Just noticed the horizon :eek: Well it was a run down with the tids;)

tp 26-27-1020462
by granddad john on Talk Photography

Last edited:
John

Rural
Plenty of perspective problem in that shot. Also sky is overexposed, better contrast on Flickr.

Bright
Good Starburst and the green against the blue is nice. cropping the very top of I think works better.

Derelict
A much tighter crop is required and more contrast as on Flickr.

Elegant
Tide must be going out. I would not class that boat as elegant as it is, the one behind shows more elegance. perhaps waiting another minute while they both cleared that monster ship in the background.

Pete

I won’t point out the horizon,but I do think it needs a bit of a lift exposure wise, the boatyard was a nice find lots of interesting stuff lying about

Hi John, the village hall certainly looks rural with its unusual construction and the row of flowers on the verge.
Bright is spot on with the great starburst of sunlight through the leaves, and I think the suggestion of a square crop would work well for this one.
B&W is a good choice for Derelict, which looks like a jumble of abandoned and broken machinery and odds and ends.
Elegant - it's a shame the boat isn't returning under sail as I think that would have been more in keeping with the theme, but it's certainly not an easy theme and I do like the composition with the second sailing boat framed by the mast and lines of the nearest one (y)

Hi John,

Derelict - It doesn't really say derelict to me, but nicely taken shot in light that could have been challenging.

Elegant - Agree with the comments about the clever capture of the other yacht, framed by the first.

Home, I like this shot, something different and like the pun, but if that song gets in my head all evening I shall blame you!

Round, not sure why but when I click on this shot wherever it takes me to, the picture looks so much better with the lighting much stronger and the whole image appears sharper.

Hi John,

Home - I love how HOME is transformed into HOWE in the reflections, and they are so clear that you don't immediately see them as reflections. A bit of a horned shoe, yes, but it made me chuckle.

Round - Plenty of roundness, good strong colours.

No link from the main thread. Worth adding so that people can get through to your thread without searching.

John

Home - clever play on words

Round - Nice round flowers, maybe better with less of them in the image. Light on some shows nicely, others are all in shade.

Pete

Week 31 short, and still catching up

tp31short-0569
by granddad john on Talk Photography

and a rather faint Fork for week

URL=https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/photos/20180815_143536.18018/]
20256-1534523208-e65c24b0620a0303fee803e32b02b976.jpg
[/URL]
20180815_143536 by granddad john on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Thanks for looking guys. The flowers were really tricky; I wanted that morning light from the side but found getting them sharp wqs tricky. lots of different apertures but couldn't separate the BG and still get them sharpish. Something to do with the structure of the flower head I think. The HOME was a last minute thing while looking for cooking ! The cooker may figure again.
Home, I like this shot, something different and like the pun, but if that song gets in my head all evening I shall blame you!

Round, not sure why but when I click on this shot wherever it takes me to, the picture looks so much better with the lighting much stronger and the whole image appears sharper.
John

Home - clever play on words

Round - Nice round flowers, maybe better with less of them in the image. Light on some shows nicely, others are all in shade.

Pete

Hi John,
Short - Looks tasty, which is always a good thing when the props are edible. Nice reflections on the clean background. I like the inclusion of hte crumbs, it would be too clinical without them.
Fork - Blimey, very similar to Chris' (@sirch). Yet your version doesn't have the PS'd feel to it that Chris' does.
One slight change I may have made would be to clone out the light green blob by the car (I assume it's a person in a coat) as it does attract the eye a little too much.

Shortbread a very popular option you have composed them well, nice bleak image for forked its less obvious than the other one mentioned but still works well

Nice set of shots for your catch-up John. Round and sorry are my favourites. I like how the light catches the thistles and the colours and shadows on your shot for short work really well for me

Short - great shot. I like the reflections in the base and also like the ‘messy’ crumbs. Good use of DoF. Might have preferred a tad more to get more of the shortbread in focus.

Forked - not super obvious as it took me a second to realise there was a fork there. Good sky and interest in the fore ground ground. The green dot in the background is a little distracting

My name is Roger and I am a shortbread addict! A great shot, I too like the crumbs and general composition of the shot. Exposure is spot on and I really like the subtle reflection.

Fork. Like this shot, fits the theme well, good composition and exposure, just looks a bit "washy" or "pale" to me.

Hi John

Short, nice Shortbread, I'm not sure about the OOF biscuit at the front, maybe better that it was also in focus. Nice reflections and colour works well.

Forked, I did not see the green person at the end of one fork at first.

Pete

Fork

Subtle, but still visible. A little bit of contrast may help to give the foreground a bit more definition.

Back